Recovery partition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recovery partition

I bought a new laptop at the weekend which is running windows 8. I made a recovery disc using a 32gb USB stick, but didn't tick the box to remove the recovery partition. Does anyone know how to delete it, or should I redo the recovery disc (using the same stick). The partition takes up a huge amount of space.

Joanne

The recovery partition holds ALL your current system, hardware driver applications and software applications that you had installed when you first purchased the laptop
    A 'recovery disc' only creates an image of the operating system main configurations and some critical files.

The idea of the partition is that in the case of a full system failiure, you can run a recovery, where it sets your laptop back to how it was the day you purchased it, without the need for loads of different CDs to install all your operating system, system driver files for all the hardware that you laptop is using and any pre-installed applications.

Unless you have a critical need for the space it uses, do not attempt to delete it
    You will invalidate any warrenty if you change it from the factory set up, which includes removing partitions
    And, more importantly, if you make an error you could completely destroy your current hard drive and need to somehow find a copy of the operating system and drivers from somewhere at a cost to you.
    Last edited by TrevorFranklin; 07-01-14, 22:31.

Researching:
    FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Oh dear. The laptop didn't have a recovery partition initially (I don't think)......it was made as part of the process when making the recovery USB. Does this mean now it's there it has to stay?

I'm off to bed now, but will check in later tomorrow..thank you for the information.
      Last edited by joanne; 07-01-14, 22:46.

Joanne

Comment

Creating a recovery USB would not have been able to create a partitioned drive
        This means it was there when you purchased the laptop
        If you check your instructions, it should tell you how to do a factory recovery (my laptop has a keyboard button) that would need to use that partition.

As I always say
        If it aint broke don't fix it, as all you do is create further problems.
        I teach IT system construction and troubleshooting, software development and IT systems security and make a lot of money from having to fix problems that people create for themselves in the summer recess :-)
        Last edited by TrevorFranklin; 07-01-14, 23:30.

Researching:
        FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Ok thank you Trevor. That's reassured me that I thankfully, shouldn't delete it.

Joanne

Comment

Working...
          X