Problems on a Vista Laptop Error codes + more

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems on a Vista Laptop Error codes + more

I am working on my friends laptop Vista as she had run out of antivirus and I usually load one for her so I uninstalled Avast and tried to install MME free one but it gave me error code OX8004FF01 and keeps telling me instalation failed.

Her Vista has for some time been trying to install 27 updates that try to update but then fail but it keeps trying everytime the laptop is closed down and has a long history of these updates failing.

I am thinking maybe the two problems are connected can anyone offer me advice on how to cure both of these problems

Thank You

Edna

this link may help http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/p...3-19da8e73bc8e

Comment

Thanks Val I will try that after my meal as I have tried all kinds nothing worked.

Edna

Comment

if you google it seems to be a common problem? I have Vista though and I had no trouble installing it , good luck

Comment

I followed the link and it gave me the download for Service pack 2 and started to download it but when it went through everything it told me it was already installed on the computer and closed, I tried to close down to follow the second step but now it is trying to install the 27 updates again before shutting down, its like a carousel going around and around.

Now will try and follow step 2

Edna

Comment

Now I have a black screen in safe mode with Microsoft (R) Windows (R) (Build 6002: Service Pack2) and nothing else I am now in too deep and don't know how to get out.

Help!!!

Edna

Right I have got back to my start page now what
            Last edited by clematised; 03-01-14, 20:23.

Comment

oh dear can you try and install one update at a time? sometimes that works better,if its programmed to automatically install them could you untick that and do them manually.
              Are you also sure Avast has completely gone ?

Comment

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2509997 this is on the microsoft site scroll down till you see method 1 good luck

Comment

Thanks Val its downloaded the System update readiness tool KB947821 Nov 2013 and is telling me The updates are being installed so finger XXd this will do it so I can add the MME antivirus though this seems to be taking a while.

Edna

Comment

So glad I have windows 7 and not Vista as this update must be enormous, the laptop just tried to go to sleep I wont be long behind it if this keeps up, I don't even know if it will work but hope it does so I can get the antivirus loaded for my friend.

Edna

Comment

The download had just finished and when I look at this site on the broken laptop it is showing me now as this thread was yesterday?? time 23.31 my previous message, yet the laptop calendar is showing the correct time and date so now will restart the Vista to see what is happening I hope you have cured the problem Val but will get back soon as I know

Edna

Comment

No I have the same error message as before with MSE and same error code I am beaten can someone else offer help and advise

as I have been at this since lunch time and so tired of it.

Edna

Comment

Vista is notorious for problems with updates, and it may be in the end that the only way to fix it is to take each error message one at a time and Google for the fix.

I don't have Vista (as soon as I got my laptop that came with Vista I took it off and put XP on!), but I will try to help.

First try following the steps in this article:- http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2509997

You have already done the first one, so you can go straight to number 2.
                          Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
                          Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
                          Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
                          Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
                          Devine in Ireland

Comment

hi dont know whether this will help but when I had a error code problem I installed Microsoft fix it center it checks all sorts of things and fixes them its wonderful you could try that

Comment

Thanks Val I have tried the fix several times it wont work, nothing has done it so far so I am giving up on it for now and have installed avast again, its not perfect but I have been two full days on it now, its beyond my knowledge.
                              Thanks for all your help

Thanks Pete

Edna

Comment

shame, good luck

Comment

Now avast has found 2 Malware and is dealing with them and now doing a boot scan before booting up

Edna

Comment

Even if you get Avast! working, I believe you still have several failed Vista updates. If these are important security updates, it could totally negate having any anti-virus, so you should really address them sooner rather than later.
                                    Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
                                    Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
                                    Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
                                    Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
                                    Devine in Ireland

Comment

Thanks Pete

I am far too tired now to carry on as I have been two full days and nights trying and failed so will take a break and ask around for help as it is beyond my capabilities.

Edna

Comment

Working...
                                      X