Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gedcom

Can I download a GEDCOM from ancestry. I could only find the upload option

When you are viewing your tree on Ancestry, you will see a drop down listing next to the name of your tree - TREE PAGES
    Select TREE SETTINGS and under the heading MANAGE YOUR TREE there is an option to download a GEDCOM.
    Elaine

Comment

Thank you.

If I send a gedcom to someone will they be able to see everyone in my tree including living people and all the records and photos ?

Comment

A GEDCOM (generally) is a data only file so it will not include photos.
        Also you need a family tree program installed on your computer to be able to view a GEDCOM file.
        No good just sending a GEDCOM file if they don't have a means of viewing it!

What is it you want to do - let someone see all your tree, or just parts of it - to include/exclude living people/photos etc.
        Elaine

Comment

Also - do you have your tree stored anywhere else other than on Ancestry?
          Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
            A GEDCOM (generally) is a data only file so it will not include photos.
            Also you need a family tree program installed on your computer to be able to view a GEDCOM file.
            No good just sending a GEDCOM file if they don't have a means of viewing it!

What is it you want to do - let someone see all your tree, or just parts of it - to include/exclude living people/photos etc.
            I found a relative, well our 3 great grandfather is the same person. They were looking for more family info. I offered to send them some info and they asked for a gedcom file.

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
            Also - do you have your tree stored anywhere else other than on Ancestry?
            I have most of it on geni.com as well. I also have a family tree booklet that some one wrote years and years ago. My mum and all her siblings had a copy if it, which is where I got most of my information from. It goes back to abt 1820

Comment

Well if they have asked for a GEDCOM file then they presumably have a program that will open it - but it wont include photos when you download from Ancestry.
              The other option of course is to send them an invite to view your tree on Ancestry - via TREE PAGES -> TREE SETTINGS -> SHARING
              If you send an invite they can view even if they are not an Ancestry subscriber.

Can I suggest that if you don't have a program on your own computer to store your information that you might be advised to download a GEDCOM from time to time to keep as a backup. Things have been known to go wrong with online trees in the past - you don't want to lose all your data because of a problem with a third party such as Ancestry.
              Elaine

Comment

Thanks, I'm looking into getting a gedcom program.

Comment

Is there a way to split my tree so I can send my Aunty all our side of the tree without any info of my parnters side of the tree.

Comment

You cannot split a tree from Ancestry.
                    You will need a program on your computer first - you import the GEDCOM into that - then split the tree.

Take a look at our Genealogy Software section in the reference library - there are some links there to some of the common programs, including a mention of two free downloads.
                    One of the freebies is Personal Ancestral File - PAF - forget about this one as it has just been discontinued (I still need to edit the page to reflect this) - but another freebie is Legacy.

If you wish to purcahse a program then Family Tree Maker and Family Historian are probably the best ones to consider. There is a trial download of Family Historian available if you wish to give it a go. Personally I use Family Tree Maker - no free trial available unfortunately - but one of the plus points with Family Tree Maker is that a lot of the packages include a free 6 month subscription to Ancestry. If you think you might want to buy FTM let us know and we will find help finding the current "best buy".
                    Elaine

Comment

I have the family tree builder ( my heritage ) program on my computer and I have added my gedcom file to it, It was a free download.

Comment

Hope it works for you Leanne. Have to say not one I personally would have chosen - you may find yourself bombarded with emails from My Heritage saying they have found matches to your tree and encouraging you to pay to see them!

If you want a freebie then Legacy would be my choice.
                        Elaine

Comment

Thanks for the tip.
                          I actually downloaded it before reading your reply.
                          I'll give Legacy a try also.

Comment

Both free Leanne so you can compare what you get.

With Legacy you will get a "full" program. Check that the free version of Tree Builder allows you to export GEDCOMS and also create backups of your tree.

Links for tutorials/hints and tips etc. for Legacy - click here
                            Elaine

Comment

Working...
                            X