Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice from Talktalk Never turn your Router off ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice from Talktalk Never turn your Router off ?

Is this true? this is what they say

We'd recommend you to leave your Router switched on all the time.
    Switching it off at night can have a big impact on speed and it can often take up to3 days for things to get back to normal.

Yes Val, it is true.

Optimum broadband speed is 'learned' by the equipment at the exchange, and from installation usually takes about 10 days to settle to the maximum speed with the minimum data loss.

If your router is switched off for long periods (overnight for example) the exchange equipmemt will simply register massive data loss and reduce your speed accordingly!

Apart from the odd reboot and a couple of power cuts, my router hasn't been switched off for 6 years!
    Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
    Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
    Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
    Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
    Devine in Ireland

Comment

We switch our router off every night and have never had any problems with speed etc.
      Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

thanks for cofirming that Pete I turn mine off during the day too sometimes no wonder I have been having problems, Wendy maybe yours is a better area than mine for the signal.

Comment

No idea Val. All I know is that Dave knows these things, being an IT Systems Analyst, and he says it doesn't make any difference.
          Wendy

Comment

thanks Wendy, its so worrying when you get different advice, and I dont like leaving anything on at night or when we go out.

Comment

I was told on a Cisco (probably the world's largest manufacturer of data communication equipment) training course a few years back that broadband routers should be left switched on for the reason I previously stated. The manual that came with my router (Netgear) also states to leave it on; I purchased this myself so it has original Netgear instructions, not an ISPs re-written version.

I have had a quick trawl on the internet, and it seems all of the major ISPs are giving the same advice, including BT who run most of the exchange equipment, and most of the big tech support sites. It may not be neccessary if you are in one of the cable areas (Virgin for instance) or are on fibre (I wish!) but for 80% of the country who are on old BT twisted pair copper wiring it is essential to achieve the best speeds.

Our neighbour who has exactly the same service as me was only getting around 9 Mb/s while I was getting 18-19. He used to switch his router off when he switched the computer off, but since I told him to leave it on his speed is the same as mine.
              Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
              Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
              Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
              Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
              Devine in Ireland

Comment

I do believe you Pete, just wish the advice had been given to me years ago by Talktalk, they only just offered me a better Router after I had to ring because my internet kept dropping off, I am annoyed they didn't offer me it before.

Comment

WE only have old BT wiring and have no problems as I stated above. I would rather trust my son and another IT person who both t=say the same thing then listening to what ISP say. Each to there own!
                  Wendy

Comment

I could be wrong about this, but, I think that I read somewhere that if any upgrading needs to be done to a BT router BT do it at night, so if your router is off you will miss out.

Margaret.
                    Margaret

Comment

Is that right Margaret? wonder what happens then ? Must say I left the Router on all night and just switched on and the internet was there immediately, usually takes a bit of time.

Comment

As a teacher of networking and communications technology (including CISCO), , I can agree that turning their router off is not a good idea. It is true that your exchange measures your usage, but, it is the updates etc that are more important, as they are delivered in cycles and you may miss them. When you turn off the router, a new IP address etc needs to be assigned by the ISP and therefore it causes the delay in startup that Val noticed any actual measurement is started again. As to whether this would really make a difference to your speed, is a matter of debate, but as the ISPs all advise your do not do this, I would take their advice and leave it on.

The only one I have an issue with is BT and their home hub, as they use your router as one of their 'hotspots' for other BT account users to log onto (that is why they claim they have millions of hotspots).

An Val, take up the router offer, as the old routers are a cause of dropouts (I am with them), the new one is much more efficient and less prone to interference etc.
                        Last edited by TrevorFranklin; 30-06-13, 00:54.

Researching:
                        FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Thanks for that Trevor have installed the new Router and am leaving it on, touch wood so far its really quick at starting up.

Comment

We will still switch ours off every night. I have had two professional IT people plus my son say it's OK to do so. Had no problems yet, so won't worry about it.
                            Wendy

Comment

Joining in this conversation a little late but I have always switched my router off when I am not using the Laptop or PC. On good old basic TT Broadband I have got one of the best speeds in the road and never found it a problem.
                              I am nuts about switching off anything that is plugged in, I recently had a charger to a floor machine burn out. Last night I noticed that while charging the battery on the Laptop that the charger was so hot after only 15 minutes and took nearly an hour to cool down.
                              No way would I leave my router on when I am not in the house or gone to bed in the interests of safety.
                              Margaret N
                              DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

Working...
                              X