Help please sending attachment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please sending attachment

I would like to send a photo via Outlook Express e-mail without it also going in the body of the mail.
    People send them to me that way but every time I send an attachment using the 'attach' paperclip it also goes into the body of the e-mail Usually I'm pleased it does but any idea how I can stop this happening please, just for this one e-mail?
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

I use Thunderbird, not Outlook, but the principle is the same.

It is the recipient's preferences that determine if the attachment is displayed in the body or not. An email is a plain text file, regardless of which program you use or what you have included in it.

If you attach a picture, it is broken down into plain text characters (if you opened it in Notepad you would see what looks like random characters) and it just appears with a tag in the message body. When you open it with your mail program, it scans the message looking for the image tags and flags up that there is an image in it. It then looks at your preferences before either displaying it in the body or just showing the attachment icon.

Hope this makes sense!
    Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
    Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
    Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
    Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
    Devine in Ireland

Comment

Thanks Pete - but how would that explain that I also receive most of my attachments in the body of the mail but not always?

Comment

Hmmm, not sure. I have my mail program set up to not display images in the body, and if I want them to show up I have to change a setting in preferences.

It might be something to do with the type of image (pdf, jpg, bmp etc.) and Outlook has seperate settings for different types. I don't like Outlook and don't have it installed, so I can't go and look! Sorry.
        Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
        Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
        Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
        Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
        Devine in Ireland

Comment

Thanks again Pete You could be right about the different settings for file types. I always save and send photos in jpg and they come huge in the body of the mail and take ages to got through. That goes for census pages too. Some of the ones I have received have probably been in different formats. I wasn't surprised at the ones this morning not being in the body because they were in Adobe Acrobat.
          I have sent one now and will hope for the best
          Thanks again for all your help

Comment

This response addresses the question of the display of incoming images in/with emails.

I too use Thunderbird [although in Linux, not Windows], and I take it that the option Pete is referring to is set or unset in Thunderbird using 'View' > 'Display Attachments inline'.

I don't know what the Outlook Express equivalent is, and it may not be the same in Outlook in any case, but it would make no difference as to whether the attachment was downloaded or not. Downloading to the computer may be slow and displaying may also be slow but they are two distinct processes - displaying is likely to be much faster than downloading. Not displaying inline separates the two processes.

All this would also apply not just to pictures but to documents or any other attachment as well.

I don't think the possibility of different settings for different file types is likely to be the answer, at least for incoming mail.
            When I compose an email, if I want to send an image, I have essentially two options, and the choice is mine, not the recipient's.
            1. Make it an attachment. This is the usual (and preferable) choice; it is easy for the recipient to view it separately, so they can store it or print it if they want to without the email in tow. I think all of the above discussion has probably been on the basis that this is the option which has been chosen.

But an alternative is possible, and maybe this is what is happening to the awkward emails
            2. Insert the image in the email (not as an attachment). This is uncommon, but if someone had discovered this method of sending images they may be in the habit of doing it this way. I think you'd see the image if the email is treated as HTML (recipient's choice) rather than plain text but I imagine it would all be downloaded either way.
            Last edited by col48; 12-05-13, 19:49. Reason: add second part of text

Comment

have been googling and it says you should change the text to either html or plain text ? but I cannot find the options tab to do it on ,what version of outlook do you have Chrissie ? I have 2.0 and it works on there.

Comment

Working...
              X