This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it dead, do you think?

I can't remember when I bought my HP ScanJet 3400C. I know it was a long time ago before I bought my Canon printer in 2006.
    A couple of weeks ago I went to scan something & got the message that scanner could not be found. I've just tried reinstalling but it doesn't seem to have any power to it.
    Any ideas?
    Vivienne passed away July 2013

Have you changed Operating Systems since you last used it?

I upgraded my XP to Windows 7 and my scanner won't work now. Had to get a new scanner as there are no drivers available for the old one suitable for Windows 7.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Hi Wendy, I did ages ago, went from 98 to XP & the scanner worked ok, I just couldn't send emails direct from it. It's been working fine apart from that until as I say a couple of weeks ago & I haven't made any changes since I last used it.

Comment

Does it have an exteranl power pack? (most HP scanners do, but i am not familiar with the 3400).

If so it is quite likely the power pack, or it's lead. Take the power pack to a local computer shop or independent electrical retailer (NOT PC World, who will just try to sell you another scanner regardless) and get them to test it. If it is the power pack that has failed you should be able to get a new one for only a few pounds.
        Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
        Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
        Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
        Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
        Devine in Ireland

Comment

Thanks Pete, I have an independant shop where the computer was built for me, I'll ask Rod.
          I didn't fancy having to cart the scanner down to him but the power pack is very do-able.

Comment

Originally posted by Vivienne View Post
            I've just tried reinstalling but it doesn't seem to have any power to it.
            Asking the obvious ... is the power cable pushed fully into the power pack?
            Elaine

Comment

Haha, yes Elaine, that is the first thing I check.;D

Comment

Thank you so much for that info Pete.
                I finally managed to get into Rod with the power pack where he checked it, declared it dead & gave me a another one free of charge. He really is a great man to have on side when you no nothing about computers.

Comment

Glad you got it sorted Vivienne. Nice to know there are still some IT shops that don't rip you off.

I used to have my own computer shop and repair business back in the 80s, in the days of Sinclair Spectrums, Amstrads and BBC Micros, and always prided myself on being as honest and helpful as possible. My philosophy was that if you are really helpful with the little things, customers will make you the first port of call when they have money to spend on new kit! After all if I gave someone a free printer lead with a new printer, it only cost me a few pence, but saved the customer several pounds.
                  Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
                  Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
                  Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
                  Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
                  Devine in Ireland

Comment

You sound just like Rod, Pete & not only do I go back for everything I need computerwise I recommend him to everyone of my friends in Taunton.

I had a similar philosophy when I had my Bridal shop & consultancy in Hayes, Middlesex. Isn't it great to know there are still nice people around.

Comment

Working...
                    X