Help with Apple please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Apple please

Is there a way to change the text size on an apple pc - on my old Sony it was ctrl +. I've had my old one for 8 years and thought it was time to renew however I'm lost. My old one had all the documentation within the pc but I can't find any within this one....perhaps I'm not looking in the right place.
    Kathleen

Cmd + to enlarge Cmd - to make smaller
    Sue ;)

Comment

Thanks very much Sue
      Kathleen

Comment

If you're not used to a Mac, then you may not know that there are a lot of shortcuts to get foreign-language characters, if you need them. Try playing around with the keys when you have Alt depressed, or Alt+shift. Things like: ß (the German "ss"), ç, Ω and so on. Some characters appear after a delay... Alt+e gets an acute accent if you key a vowel next (é, á, ú, í, ó); Alt+u gets an umlaut (ü, ï, ö, ë, ä); and there are other similar ones. And you can get foreign punctuation marks like that, too: if you key for a question-mark with Alt depressed, you get ¿ (as for Spanish).

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thank you Christine, I will copy and save your info. It will take a bit of getting used to as I only bought it yesterday and I've been using windows xp for years. Never made so many typing errors as the keyboard is so tiny. I have managed to load up office and transfer my family history documents - that's the most important thing
          Kathleen

Comment

Originally posted by Kath nr the Crooked Spire View Post
            Thank you Christine, I will copy and save your info. It will take a bit of getting used to as I only bought it yesterday and I've been using windows xp for years. Never made so many typing errors as the keyboard is so tiny. I have managed to load up office and transfer my family history documents - that's the most important thing
            What I recommend - partly because I've done it myself (but I don't always remember what I called the final file, which is a nuisance) is to key systematically into a Word doc, with the different key combinations (put in headings before each block, so that you know which is which), starting with nothing but the main keys, and ending with as complex a combination of key and alt/cmd, ctrl, shift as you can manage!. You end up with blocks of gobbledegook - but you can compare the gobbledegook with your arrays of ordinary letters to se what you need to do for the fancy symbols.

e.g.
            PLAIN
            §1234567890-=
            qwertyuiop[]
            asdfghjkl;'\
            `zxcvbnm,./

SHIFT (using the manual shift key, not caps-lock)
            ±!@£$%^&*()_+
            QWERTYUIOP{}
            ASDFGHJKL:"|
            ~ZXCVBNM<>?

ALT
            ¡€#¢∞§¶•ÂªÂº–≠
            œ∑´®†Â¥Â¨^øπ“‘
            åß∂ƒÂ©˙∆˚¬…æ«
            `Ω≈ç√∫~µ≤≥÷

and so on...
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thank you Christine, your help is much appreciated. The changeover from one pc to another is a bit like losing a friend, not only do I have to concentrate on the stuff I need to save from the old pc but I need to work out how to use the new one. Today I downloaded the software for my wireless printer as it doesn't have a disc drive....but my applemac..... doesn't recognise the printer, it works with two other pc's...so frustrating. I've tried the chat help who say connect with a cable - I've been to pc world who say, 'its a wireless printer, it should work without a cable'
              I deleted the download and reinstalled but it still doesn't recognise the printer. Of course it took ages to find out how to delete the download......
              Kathleen

Comment

Normally a Mac will recognise pretty much anything that's connected to it. You don't usually need to do much - just find your printer in the list of possibles...

1] System Preferences / Hardware / Print & Scan
                2] Click on the "+" button
                3] I don't want to muck up the settings on our computer by experimenting, but I think you just browse for the one you're using, and select it.

Or are you saying that the Mac isn't 'seeing' your printer at this stage? Is it just that the bluetooth "pairing" hasn't been done yet?

Christine
                (I can ask OH to have a look at your problem, if you like?)
                Last edited by Christine in Herts; 16-04-13, 00:23.

Comment

Yes Christine the problem is that the Mac isn't seeing the printer. I've had the printer a few months and the other two pc's I had were no problem at all. The software installs ok but it is at the 'set up stage' there are no printers in the list.

I have tried the alternative of typing in the IP address in at set up stage, it attempts to add it but says it can't due to 'error'. I am online wireless ok so it can't be the connection.
                  Kathleen

Comment

Update on the previous post - I have contacted the technical support where I bought the pc from who agree that I need the cable. He said as anything can interfere with the downloading of the software, it may have errors or 'missed bits'

Once I have the cable I have to uninstall the software, connect the cable to the printer and then download the printer software again. Let's hope that works but it won't be today.....I'm grandaughter minding
                    Kathleen

Comment

Sorry you're having such trouble. Normally Macs are very intuitive. The problems arise when you want to do something that they hadn't guessed a user might try! Then everything is very opaque.

Christine

Comment

Success at last - I think the problem was probably due to the download rather than the pc or the printer. I bought the printer cable deleted the earlier software download (at least I hope I did) attached the cable and downloaded the software again. It's working wireless now, it seems the download can miss out little bits if its not connected via the printer cable. It's so frustrating trying to find where to delete the first software download from - so different from the old pc.
                        Thanks very much for your help.
                        Kathleen

Comment

I hope you find - as I do - that it's mostly much easier to use than a PC... just until (as I said) you want to do something unexpected. But you can often find stuff just by using Find File in the main Finder menu.

Comment

Working...
                          X