'Ask' .com............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Ask' .com............

I have obviously clicked onto something (a suspicion that it was an update from Java), but I cannot rid myself of 'Ask.com' when I enter a query - any advice would be welcome. I've tried going into 'Control' panel. but it doesn't show there. Help please.............. .

Gwyn
    Freya - a lovely, funny human-friendly disaster waiting to happen....

its the Ask Jeeves this tells you how to uninstall it if you want to , scroll down it tells you how
    http://www.java.com/en/download/faq/ask_toolbar.xml
    Last edited by Guest; 20-01-13, 19:15.

Comment

But, if I put in a question Val, I always get 'Ask', where I'd rather have other options........ .

Gwyn

Comment

you must have forgotten to untick the ask toolbar when you updated Java ?? otherwise it downloads it.
        You should be able to find it in your control panel uninstall programmes and uninstall it

Comment

it must be your default searcher ??? depending on your system this tells you how to uninstall it, or you can go back to the search provider you had before
          Answers you want. Content for days. What more could you Ask for?
          Last edited by Guest; 20-01-13, 19:28.

Comment

I had the same problem the other day. Go to your browser settings and look for a preferred search engine setting. You will need to set that back to Google (or whichever you prefer ) I think I downloaded it with the latest Java update. I also disabled the "ask" task bar and uninstalled (but sounds like you have already done that)
            Barbara

Comment

Hooray - it's gone, though not through any cleverness on my part!

I did a system restore, as Google Chrome was playing up something rotten and it must have zapped 'Ask' as well.

Thank you all for your help. Until the next crisis !

Gwyn

Comment

Oscar was hit with what is becoming a real issue when installing updates etc.
                An article regarding this has just been posted on the Sophos security site: http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2013...-java-updates/

Many users do not actually look at the information screen and just click install, but it did show that it was going to also install the ASK toolbar (which also takes over as your home page, default search location etc).
                It is not only ASK that do this, but when you update other things, the Google or Yahoo toolbar may be added.

It is important that you read the information screen that appears and check to see if it is telling you it will install an extra toolbar or change your default homepage etc.

Download the Sophos Threatsaurus for easy to understand information on Internet threats and what they are

Trev
                Last edited by TrevorFranklin; 23-01-13, 18:45.

Researching:
                FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Working...
                X