How does this happen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does this happen

I have received a few emails in my 'normal' email box (not the facebook one) from facebook friends who I know wouldn't know my email address, or rather they look like they are from friends as their names are showing within the title. Some of them go into the spam box but I haven't opened any of them. The are usually titled Hi Kathleen - one was from a family member who wouldn't be calling me by my first name.

I first thought it was a problem with the person who appeared to be sending the email but I have had a few so I'm thinking it could be my problem.

I would be grateful for any ideas how to put this right please.
    Kathleen

This is because if you install ANY app in facebook etc, and actually read the notice that appears before you actually agree to it, it will inform you that you "Agree that it can have access to your friends list" etc.
    when one of your 'friends' has installed a facebook app (ie a game or something along that line), it was what is known as a 'rogue app'.
    This means an application that claimed to do one thing, but its only real reason was to harvest their friends list to then allow spamming of the friends with emails that are intended to then trick them into clicking a link or visiting a site that has the intention of infecting or scammomg them.

The most common has been the "see who has been looking at your profile" app

I advise you to 'Like' the Sophos page and another FB page called faceCrooks; both of which keep you informed of the latest scams etc and inform you how to stay safe

Facebook does not check apps before they are allowed to be used, they only remove them if they have received a number of complaints, that is why I never say yes to any of them or use facebook games

Researching:
    FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Thank you very much Trevor, I will do as you suggest. Thankfully most spam emails are pretty obvious but they more annoying than the cold callers at least you can put the phone down on them, its like being spied upon.
      Kathleen

Comment

Working...
      X