Malwarebytes & backdoor bot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Malwarebytes & backdoor bot

Non-technical as ever, seeking PC advice yet again, please.

As recommended in other threads, I bought Malwarebytes PRO for extra protection.

Malwarebytes warned of a backdoor bot, which I quarantined. But, when I access the Internet next this warning comes up again and I quarantine again.

Shall have to take some action about this, I’m sure, but could someone tell me, please, if I back up recent files from my PC to my external drive, will I then infect that drive also?

Sorry to sound so pathetically dim :(

Carol

PS Have just checked the log on Malwarebytes and it says the Quarantine failed!
    Last edited by Carol Bird; 17-09-12, 15:05.

have you tried installing the free superantispyware and running that? it found a rootskit on mine

Comment

Hi Val,

Thank you for responding.

I did run that and let it remove the first hundred (!), but didn't then upgrade. Instead I bought the Malwarebytes PRO, which I installed on 20 August. Somehow, more recently, this Backdoor Bot has infiltrated.

Have tried downloading Superantispyware again but it won't save to my computer.

I know I shall have to do something drastic about the Backdoor Bot, but didn't want to copy files over without knowing whether it could also infect my external hard drive.

Carol

Comment

I installed that malawarebytes too but it wouldnt let me access most sites I had to keep disabling it which was hardly the point of having it, have you tried running superantispyware instead of saving it to your pc? I ran it and it found this rootkit which malware did not ? good luck

Comment

Hi Val,

Thank you for coming back. Tried again and this time was able to download Superantispyware and run it. It found lots of Adware tracking cookies, which it said were not really harmful. I deleted them anyway.

It didn't find anything nasty to report, so I don't think this will have got rid of the Backdoor Bot. Am reading up on the Internet and, if I can't do anything myself, I'll have to go to a professional.

Sincerely grateful for your continued interest and willingness to help.

Regards,
          Carol

Comment

hope you get sorted ? I cannot get rid of a rootskit ? driving me mad.

Comment

Working...
            X