Microsoft essentials stopped Trojan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft essentials stopped Trojan

must say quite impressed if its true , got a security warning saying Trojan:win32/medfos.b had been quarantinedhas anybody else had this today ??

Presumably you either visited a "dodgy" website or there was a "suspect" link which Essentials picked up on.
    Elaine

Comment

thats the funny thing Elaine I was only on here ???

Comment

It was nothing to do with this site
        The Trojan was already on your PC and was detected when it tried to activate itself
        MMPC, Microsoft Malware Protection Center, WDSI, virus, malware, encyclopedia entry, threat description, clean up, removal, infection, arrival, analysis, research, protection, remediation

Researching:
        FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

thanks for the link Trevor I still dont understand though? how did it get on here ? and am I safe now?

Comment

you're safe
            There is something called 'Zero day' risks
            This is the period between a new virus appearing and it being detectedby the anti-virus companies who then put the signature of the virus onto their detection software on the next update.
            This allows new virus's to infect and not immediately be discovered.

This is the way that different AV or Malware software is rated in terms of its effectiveness, the better software, even though it has not been told aboiut the new virus, has technology that detects files that are either very much like other known virus's or virus like activity and will still block it
            Unfortunately Microsoft's AV is the worst for being able to detect this with Malware, though yours was a virus,it may have been the same situation

But.....Your protection did it job and detected when it was activated, it so don't worry

This is why many people still get malware even though thay have an antivirus application installed that claims it stops malware as well, (remember these are different to an actual virus), the programs are too weak at detecting malware during the zero day period and that is why I keep telling people to download and pay for the malware bytes application
            Have a look at this report,but remember it is talking about Malware and not viruses

Researching:
            FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

thanks very much Trevor have read and re read this trying to take it all in, just in the last couple of weeks when I click on a site I sometimes get a Blackberry page come up instead??? no idea why and it certainly isn't from the site I want.

Comment

Working...
              X