System tools restoreMy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System tools restoreMy

My grandson complained that his computer was too slow and hasn`t used it for 3 months ...it WAS working fine early June
    So I took the computer to my grandaughters house last night and set it up in her room...result is it`s Incredibly slow...
    so I thought if I went to Accessories/System Tools / System Restore and went to 16th June ( when I knew it worked perfectly ) - I could take it back to when it was fine .
    Result .... " system restore can not work - switch off your computer and try again = I done this 3 times and it still won`t let me System Restore ???
    Can anyone advise me please ???

Thankyou for reading
    allan
    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

What is the size of the hard disc and how much free space is there?

I am sure there will be some experts along to help you, but my suggestions would be - full virus scan -> malaware scan -> download and scan with CCleaner -> then see if it needs to be defragged.
    Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine....the first thing I done was click on CCleaner and hoped that would sort it - but it made no difference....sadly the problem seems to be ( this is how I see it ) My grandson is 11 ,and he goes on Sooo many different sites , like kids do , and I have told him that some of those sites are full of virus`s...but he NEVER listens ...hence...the very slow computer ...for instance ,when I got Facebook up last night - it was taking up to TWO minutes just to connect to a thread each time ...it`s incredibly slow ...frustratingly so ..
      So...I am still a little green as far as computer maintanence goes ...what does defragged entail / mean ?
      cheers
      Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire

Comment

Have you done a FULL virus scan?
        Do you have something like Malawarebytes on your computer - if so do a FULL scan with that.

Check the size of the hard disc - if the disc is getting near full capacity then it will run slowly. Go to MY COMPUTER on desktop, you should then see an icon for C: drive. Right click on that and check PROPERTIES. How much free space is there?

I would check on unwanted programs and remove them, but if you don't know what you are doing it is very easy to delete something which is important!

Defrag - explained here -
        Find help and how-to articles for Windows operating systems. Get support for Windows and learn about installation, updates, privacy, security and more.
        Elaine

Comment

Thanks very much Elaine ...I will get your answer up on the slow computer around lunch time and go through the process you have recommended ...wish me luck ...cheers
          allan

Comment

Looking at you comment about your grandson
            It could be that he has installed many programs that are running in the background and so are using up all the memory resources.
            This will mean that applications will run extremely slow, while waiting for a memory slot to come free.

You stated that you had CCleaner, one of the options under 'TOOLS' is startup
            This will produce a list of all the applications thar are running automatically as the PC is started

Run this and save a copy as a text file (button at bottom right) send me a copy to my home email
            email address removed and I will look at it and advise you on any that could be disabled/uninstalled

trev

Sorry Trevor, we don't allow email addresses to be published on the forum. Allan can contact you either on the thread or via PM.
            Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 05-09-12, 08:29. Reason: removal of email address

Researching:
            FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Thanks very much Trev...unfortunately I have not been well today and stayed on the couch ...I will e-mail you as soon as I can ...really appreciate your help
              allan
              Last edited by garstonite; 02-09-12, 20:57.

Comment

Do it when ever you are ready Allen
                I wish you the best
                Trev

Researching:
                FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

OK Trev....I have spent 3 hours yesterday and I cleaned up the disk ...it took about an hour ....but there is a VAST improvement in the speed ...it is still a little slow , but certainly usable for my 10 year old grandaughter....still can`t get sytems restore to work ......I have made a list of ALL the programmes , but have to say that they all look part of the system ...ie - no programmes that stand out as being what grandson has added that might make the PC slow .....the PC is a Fujitsu Seimens tower ...a bit dated , but it seems ok for a 10 yr old ....disk c has - 52.3 in use / 42.0 free ......disk d has 133/ 132v free ...so I would have thought that there is plenty of unused memory ...so looking at the list of programmes - these look to me the only ones that might affect the performance ...I would appreciate your advice ..
                  Skype click to call
                  Skype 5.9
                  Bing Bar
                  Driver detective
                  Soft Datafox Modem ???....never heard of this one and there is also Pinball ? ...is this part of the PC`s games or is this one my grandson has added ??
                  thanks for reading ........................allan

Comment

Working...
                  X