Microsoft Essentials - Security

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Essentials - Security

I have used this programme on my PC and Laptop for a long time now and have been more than pleased with it.
    On my PC only I am getting a message when I update saying: Update failed but when I look at the history and date of last update the time of it is correct.
    The help line says uninstall and reinstall but you cannot do that everyday. It also says to close IE as that maybe blocking it. When I do that it does not work at all.
    Any idea's what is happening please. It just looks over protective to me.
    Margaret N
    DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

hi Margaret maybe you could just uninstall it the once and reinstall it might work?? I use that too and its good isn't it?

Comment

hi Margaret maybe you could just uninstall it the once and reinstall it might work?? I use that too and its good isn't it?

See this below

have you verified the date and time on the PC? Did updates work prior to a few days ago?Right click the clock in the system tray. Select Adjust Date and Time.
      Verify and correct the month, day, year, hour, minutes and time zone.
      Reboot if you changed any of the above.
      What operating system?
      Prior Security Software?
      Any security software still installed?
      A possible reason for this problem is that you have conflicting security software installed fully or partially on the PC. Remove all other security software from the PC.
      You may need to use a cleanup tool to remove your prior security software:

Comment

Hello Val,

I have re installed it a couple of times but I do get a message telling me that I have other conflicting software installed. Where is a mystery, I have never had any on this PC it is old and did not come with any. All I have used was Avast until after a massive update it did not work this a couple of years age. Also on this PC I used AVG after that and again the same thing. It is these updates that cause me hassel. I have done a very fine search and cannot trace any leftovers from the old software.

I have not updated my Laptop yet as I just do not want it loaded with problems.

Thank you for your help, speak soon.
        Margaret N

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

try this Margaret you cant always see odd bits that have been left behind

This is for Avast

Uninstall Utility

Sometimes it´s not possible to uninstall avast! the standard way - using the ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS in control panel. In this case, you can use our uninstallation utility aswClear.
          How to uninstall our software using aswClear:
          1. Download aswclear.exe on your desktop
          2. Start Windows in Safe Mode
          3. Open (execute) the uninstall utility
          4. If you installed avast! in a different folder than the default, browse for it. (Note: Be careful! The content of any folder you choose will be deleted!)
          5. Click REMOVE
          6. Restart your computer

Comment

this is for AVG its one of the top two depending what bit your pc is ? I know I had to use a utility tool to remove it completely from my pc
            Find all PC and Mac installation files for AVG antivirus, VPN, and tuning app in one place, including the latest updates, and trials.
            Last edited by Guest; 01-08-12, 00:08.

Comment

Resolution 2: Uninstalling Avast software using the utility aswclear.exe

To remove Avast software, use a special Avast removal tool aswclear.exe (ASWCLEAR (С) ALWIL Software):
              Step 1. Download the tool aswclear.exe.
              Step 2. Reboot in Safe Mode.
              Step 3. Run the file aswclear.exe.
              Step 4. In the Select product to uninstall field, select the required product you want to uninstall.
              Step 5. if you installed Avast in a different folder than the default, then select the required folder in the field Enter path to folder where selected product is installed. Be careful, the content of any folder you choose will be deleted.

or try this

Comment

Hello Val,
                Brilliant information many thanks. I will print it off and study it in detail as I am hopeless when it comes to sorting my own PC but manage other peoples. I am too tired now to have a go only just got home after a long day out.

Funny thing is that this MSE sends me all these messages and tells me it has failed. After I close IE I get a screen showing me that it has updated with the date and time and appears to work.

Looking at the site you sent me last night I am not alone with this problem and most since the last update.

I will let you know how I get on.
                Margaret N

Comment

good luck Margaret , it is surprising how anything left behind can affect your pc

Comment

you wont believe this but am having the same problem now its been driving me up the wall , I was so worried about being unprotected have uninstalled microsoft essentials and installed AVG dont know what else to do? seems its a common problem ? but mine has only started since installing Malwarebytes????
                    Did you fix yours ?

Comment

Hi Val

In my work I have PCs with malwarebytes working alongside AVG, Mcafee, Norton, Avast and Microsoft Security and none of these have the problem that you are reporting.

I suggest that you temporary turn off MWB by right-clicking on the MWB icon and removing the tick from the
                      'enable protection' checkbox and then see if you can update the AV software.

Then turn MWB back on

Researching:
                      FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

hi and thanks for helping Trevor , the problem I was having was Microsoft essentials would not update the virus protector and the malwarebytes keeps popping up box after box of warnings ??saying it had stopped a malicious programme ? it does not stop ? so I uninstalled microsoft essentials and installed avg but the malwarebytes warning box keeps popping up still, I have to exit it.

Comment

Hello Val,

Yes I did fix my MS Esentials with your help. I totally uninstalled it and started again. It is all set for auto update and to scan etc but on my PC I need to do it all manually. I usually switch on about 10pm and do that first.
                          It behaves quiet differently on my laptop and updates automatically like it used to on the PC. On the PC I could not get AGV to work very well and kept getting a message to upgrade so gave up on that.
                          Is n't it a problem having to use all these things to protect our computers? These anti virus programmes stop things that you do want.
                          I have not got a smart phone yet! but wonder if they get all these bugs.
                          Nice to see you are still working hard with your computers/laptops how many is it now?
                          Margaret N

Comment

hi Margaret glad you sorted yours, I have been having a lot of trouble , wondered why I hadn't had any windows updates lately so checked and there were 2 I clicked to install them but it failed then decided to look at recent updates and there was a long list of failed ones???? nothing had installed since the 25 Aug? dont know why they hadn't or why I hadnt been notified? It is checked to automatically install them.
                            I just uninstalled AVG and reinstalled Microsoft essentials ,am hoping it will update properly in future.
                            Still only have 4 PCs

Comment

Working...
                            X