Computer Invasion..........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Invasion..........

I've just had my computer invaded with what seems to be an advert for the Olympics, sponsored by BT. Every site which I've tried to enter had been taken over by 'BT', including this one. I had a message saying that 'the site you wish to enter may not be authentic' - or words to that effect...........

OH finally managed to get to 'Sytem Restore' and I'm now fine, but what a fright! I have Norton, which told me that all was ok, but something, somewhere wanted to do damage.

I've only had problems since we moved to another area - my Y.... e-mail was compromised from Venezuala, and Spain , but I think I've fixed that by changing password.

This is the second time something's happened and it quite scares me - good thing I have OH here to press the right buttons

Gwyn
    Freya - a lovely, funny human-friendly disaster waiting to happen....

You were infected by Malware/Adware and not a virus.
    Malware/adware is designed to take control of your web browser etc, it does not actually do damage to files (which is the role of a virus).

The most common way that you have this infection is what is known an 'click jacking', where you visit a website that, when you either visit or click on an image etc, will infect your system.

Antivirus programes (AVG, Norton, Mcafee etc) do not, though they often claim to, protect you from these and you need an actual anti malware/adware application to do this.
    MalwareBytes is the best I have found, BUT........ like your antivirus, you need to have this work in 'real-time' (which means it is scanning automatically all site you visit etc) and not the scan on demand that the free version gives you.
    £19 is a small cost to upgrade it to the real-time version with the protection it gives you.

Researching:
    FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Thanks so much for your advice, Trevor. I have Norton and in my ignorance, I thought that it would do the job. There is a version of Malwarebytes I've found from A...zon - Malwarebyte UK Retail PRO Lifetime - I presume this is the one which I should buy?

Gwyn
      Freya - a lovely, funny human-friendly disaster waiting to happen....

Comment

My OH had his laptop invaded by "Live Security Platinum" yesterday. It purported to be an antivirus program and more or less stopped him from accessing anything including the Internet. Lots of nasty popups telling him his computer was infected and also forbidding removing it from the Add/Remove programs. We think he has got rid of it using a combination of McAfee and Malwarebytes. Fingers crossed!

Goodness knows where it came from as he was hardly on the computer yesterday and the short list of websites in the list of yesterday's history are ones he visits regularly, not 'dodgy' ones at all.

Edit to say - the Malwarebytes my OH has is the free version. Presume this is OK??

Anne
        Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 14-07-12, 18:40.

Comment

Hi Ann
          This type of infection is known as a 'drive-by'
          It is caused by the instigator actually hacking the site that you had visited and embedding the code that would activate when you visit it.

It is not 'dodgy sites' that have this but in many cases actual sites that you would least expect.
          The most common sites are thise that have sharing services for images etc, as they are often too weak in their own security and the hacker wants to be able to hit as many people as possible, with these and even sites that have funny jokes etc are high traffic sites being high 'targets'.

Earlier this year the stock exchange site was hacked in this way and anyone who visited it was infected.

I repeat my advice that you should actually install MalwareBytes AND register it to give you real-time protection you need, as some of these programs, when they infect you, will not let your AV or malware cleaner program work if you want to adopt the 'closing the stable door' approach after you find that you have been infected.
          A couple of pounds is much better than the cost/inconvenience of cleaning a system.

Trev
          Last edited by TrevorFranklin; 15-07-12, 14:16.

Researching:
          FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Good advice Trev. i will buy it.

Comment

I have it and have had no problems.
              Judith

To forbid us anything is to make us have a mind for it."
              -- Michel de Montaigne, Essays, 1559

Comment

Working...
              X