Canon 490 printer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canon 490 printer

I have had my printer just over a year and it has been fine. Recently I changed the cartridges both Originals but have found that the colour is so pale, washed out. The company I purchased the ink from sent me a Free replacement that I have not used yet because a so called computer buff said the solution was simple 'poor quality paper'. Meanwhile I thought that I must have made a mistake in my purchase of paper and paid the company for the ink cartridge as I felt guilty.

I had paid £5.99 for the paper so purchased another packet elsewhere costing £6.99 and still no difference. I have checked the settings, cleaned the print head and all that and the printer tells me everything is fine.

I like to send a friend a picture of a plant for her to name for me now picture and colour is now a let down (no she does not have a PC - very sensible). I have used ordinary paper for this sort of thing for years and it has been fine.See my update to this on this thread.Any ideas what could have gone wrong it is only the colour that is not working properly.
    Last edited by Margaret N; 28-09-11, 07:28.
    Margaret N
    DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Margaret,

have you tried cleaning the print heads? there should be a 'toolbox' or some such setting which allows you to 'clean' the heads after you have put in new cartridges.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Julie,

I have done it all and everything comes up as No Problem / No Action required. However, when I printed a photograph via Picasa it was perfect so it must be sending a different command to the printer.
      In the print box I found that I could increase the quality of the print to maximum but that has made no difference. It is such a basic printer that there is not a lot to change. The Black Ink is fine no problem with that at all.

Thank you for your kind interest.
      Margaret N

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

MS PICTURE MANAGER/CANON 490

I hope that I am posting this in the correct section as it is linked and a 50/50 problem and trying to update my starter thread.
        I have a Canon printer 490 just one year old, use Vista and Office 2007.
        First I have cleaned my printer and changed the original cartridges all that is OK.

When I print a picture using MS Picture Manager either on plain paper or photo paper it is washed out and often totally out of focus.
        If I print using Word no problems with image or colour and the black ink for the text is good.

If I print using Picasa I get an excellent picture and am puzzled why.

At first I thought it was the printer but this cannot be so as all other programmes are OK.
        This problem came on suddenly in July and I put it down to a Windows Update.
        If I run the CD again will I be able to select just the MS Picture Manager?
        Will I loose one of my lives as it is licensed for 3 PC's.
        How do I correct this problem please?

Help really needed please.
        Margaret N

Comment

If it is printing ok from all other apps then I suspect it will be a setting in MS Picture Manager that is causing the issue... These can be set as you work through the print wizard.

As you are reinstalling on the same PC, I suspect it may still be covered by the original licence used.. but you would need to read the licence included with the product to be 100%
          https://squeakerslair.wordpress.com

Comment

Am I correct in thinking that MS Picture Manager is part of Windows Vista and not Office 2007? If that is the case I do not have a 'Boot Disc'. When I purchased this PCW did a basic set up before I left the store (2007) but did not give me any disc at all. Fortunately I have not required one until now.

I am on the verge of taking this lot printer and all to the tip as it is not worth the money or time spent on it at present.

Thank you all for your help.
            Margaret N

Comment

It is part of Microsoft Office, not Vista
              Elaine

Comment

Elaine,

Thank you will run the cd and hope I can sort it after I come back from a few days away (I think in the rain - Cork).
                Margaret N

Comment

Working...
                X