Netbooks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Netbooks

Hi, I wonder if I could get some advice.
    First to say that I am totally useless with technology and rely on hubby to keep me sorted.
    Here is my query.
    For years I have been lugging my laptop around with me when out and about doing research.
    I now find it is just getting too heavy and cumbersome, especially when using public transport, feet etc.
    I quite fancy getting one of these lightweight netbook things. I don't want to have lots on it like games, music etc, just documents relating to my research, trees, photos etc
    Now -
    question 1 - as they don't usually have a slot for a disc (i don't think) - how would I download my FTM programme to it.
    question 2 - does anyone else have any suggestions and recommendations?

Many thanks
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

I have a netbook Herky.. I also have an external cd drive that I plug into the netbook via a USB connector, then install the usual way.. presumably your already have FTM on your main laptop, if you have a memory stick you should be able to copy the whole lot onto it and transfer to the netbook? (one thing that I dont like about it is that the keyboard is SO small, you have to really be careful when typing information in.)
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks for that - I wondered if there was a way around it.
      I use a desktop most of the time and have FTM on that. I am finding the laptop just too heavy when I am out and about and I end up with sore shoulders.
      Typing in won't be problem as it will just be for occasional use.

Now to try and find the right one for purpose - I will bend hubby's ear and have a look on Which etc.

Oh - one more question - how long do you find the battery lasts on yours? My Laptop doesn't last very long so I always have to add the cables to the bag - more weight.
      Ooopps - another question - do they have ports for a mouse? - I don't like the built in ones in Laptops.

Thanks again.
      herky
      Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

unfortunately the battery life isnt great on mine, maybe 2 hours if I am lucky, I have a little bag that holds the netbook and power cable mouse etc.. it is as light as probably a camera/camcorder bag.

yes, you can use mouse, as it has (or should have) usb ports for them (you might also find that they are magnetic) I know mine is. I dont like the touchpad and find it cumbersome to use, I have a little tiny mouse that I got from Wilkinsons for a couple of pounds.

I have had my netbook now for a few years and have found it very useful to take to Archives etc, and they dont mind if you do plug them in whilst there!
        Julie

Comment

Thanks again - yes, I have a little mouse too.
          Thanks you for all this info - I look at reviews etc but it is much nicer to have a chat to someone.
          All the best.
          herky

Comment

no problems Herky, just glad to help :smilee: and yes it is nice to chat and talk things through with someone that has first hand knowledge of things. enjoy!
            Julie

Comment

I have a 'Lenovo IdeaPad' & have only just started taking it to the RO. The battery is suposed to last for 9hours but yesterday it gave up on me after just 4.
              I too use a little mouse from Wilcos.
              I have trees on Tribal Pages that I access when at the RO.
              Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

I've had a Samsung NC10 since they came out a couple of years ago. Best money ever spent. I have a spine problem and this wee thing is brilliant. The netbook and the power pack and a mouse if you want one fits into a good sized grab bag style handbag.

Mine can last nearly 7 hours on battery alone as long I'm not on the internet. If I am, then I can maybe squeeze about 3 hours from it. As most places have plug points, I haven't had many times I've needed to rely solely on the battery. It's a 6 cell l-ion one. You can buy more powerful ones quite reasonably on the net but that will add a bit to the weight.

This one came with 160GB hard drive and 1GB memory and runs in trusty old Windows XP. The keyboard has nice big well spaced keys and I like typing on it. Apart from the pest of it not having an optical drive I can't fault this machine in any way. Well maybe the fact that the glossy outer casing is a fingerprint magnet but that's being very picky...

I was having a mowdie round the net yesterday and find that there's been an upgrade to the machine and it now can be got with a 250GB hard disk drive, 2GB memory and runs on Windows 7 Starter Edition. Not being a fan of that edition, I looked on Ebay and there were a few for sale second hand, where the sellers had already upgraded the Windows 7 to Home Premium, in fact I even found one with Professional edition installed. Some were even being sold with bundled extras like a portable CD drive.

For the upgraded spec look for NC10+ or NC10 Plus.

I've never regretted buying mine but should you want further proof of it's brilliance, hop on to BBC IPlayer and go to this week's WDYTYA episode and you'll see none other than Ms Emilia Fox typing away on hers on the train journey north LOL

Comment

Hi Vivienne and Galloway Lass,
                  Thanks very much - I think I will definitely start looking for a netbook - it sounds like just the thing.
                  I am going to Edinburgh next month and the thought of carrying the laptop around with me has made me decide.
                  Every time I am about and about with the laptop I get sore shoulders etc.
                  I sometimes think I will do without but I really do need something with my tree and docs when researching, especially in the Scotlands People Centre.
                  Most places will let you plug it in so the battery life is not too much of a problem.
                  I will print out your mail GL and show my Technical Adviser (hubby).
                  Off to bed - night night.
                  herky

Comment

I recently went to Stockholm with my husband and took one of the netbooks we have. Popped it in my handbag and away I went. Was better than lugging my laptop about in its backpack. We have an Acer with 250gb hd and 1gb ram running Windows XP (our son has this for taking back and forth to uni, and he finds it invaluable, less for him to carry about) ... enough memory to run most things and the other is an HP netbook dot2, running windows7 starter edition, which I took with me.. was good for accessing the net and I could keep in touch with our kids via MSN. I put programs I run on the laptop onto a memory stick and accessed them that way... all very convenient and easy.

researching Matchett, McFarland, Dick, Ewing, Koehler or Kohler, Nairn and Young.

Raven's Wiki Page
                    Raven's Family Tree

Comment

Like Galloway Lass I have a Samsung NC10, and it's great. Battery life 6 hours or more (if not using the internet), which saves carrying the charger, and gives you more freedom of where to sit at the archives as you don't have to worry about going where the sockets are, and it's easier to move from one area to another (microfiche to documents, etc).

scuda
                      Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Thanks Scuda,
                        It is great to hear everyone's recommendations
                        Much appreciated and will help me make my choice.
                        Now to get sorted and buy one before my next genealogy holiday.
                        herky

Comment

Thanks Raven - it would be fine to pop a netbook into my handbag and not have to carry a handbag and a laptop bag.
                          Once I get it I can see which of my handbags it would fit into (with all my other junk) and perhaps even an excuse to get a new handbag!
                          herky

Comment

Hi all,
                            Thanks for everyone's imput about netbooks.
                            I am now typing from my lovely new one, an Acer Aspire One 722.
                            Don't ask me about anything tecky - hubby chose it.:o
                            The sticky label on it says - 4 GB DDR3 memory, AMB Dual core processor, C-50, 6 cell battery - whatever all that means, is that all OK?
                            It has full windows 7 and is a nice colour.
                            I also bought a very light weight CD/Dvd to go with it - it is a light as a feather and very slim.
                            I hope you all approve of my choice.Thanks for all your help.
                            Last edited by herky; 19-09-11, 14:53.
                            herky

Comment

Sounds good to me and I am certain you will find it very usefull. My Acer One Aspire is a more basic model with a three cell battery. (That means that you have a longer life battery than me).

You mention a CD/DVD lightwieght to go with it. What make is it as the ones I have looked at are bulky.

Good Luck.
                              Margaret N
                              DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

Hi Margaret,
                                I got the cd player at PC world - hang on till I find the box...........
                                .....called "Liteon", 8 X external slim DVD-ROM drive.
                                It is read only(perhaps that is why it is so light) but that is fine as I downloaded my FTM disc etc with it.
                                Weight is 300 grams max, according to the box. The little cable slots underneath the unit.
                                I think the cost was about £34.
                                herky

Comment

Working...
                                X