This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Download speed

How do I test what my download speed is please because I don't have a clue?
    Stella passed away December 2014

I use this website Stella - http://www.speedtest.net/
    Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine, will take a look.

Comment

Done it Elaine, thanks for your link.

Comment

Try MyConnection PC Lite, link below, and download the program. Speedtest.net is the one that ISP's tell you to use and I have found that it consistently comes in at a better download speed than is actually being achieved. They told me I was getting over 5mbps when it was so slow it was no better than dial up. MyConnection is usually more reliable, IMO.

http://www.myconnectionpc.com/index.html

Jan

Comment

I've just had a go at that Elaine because like Stella, i don't have a clue. Mine was 2.59mbps - is that goodor slow?
            Jacky

Comment

It depends what time of day (evenings are usually slower as there are more people accessing the internet), what speed you are paying for? how far you are away from the telephone exchange? Are you accessing through cable? and which speed tester you are using? Does it seem slower than before to you? If so, then it's slow. Mine has been crawling lately with less than 1mbps at times, then 4.5mbps. My ISP claims there is nothing wrong.

Jan
              Last edited by Guest; 18-09-11, 19:46.

Comment

I usually just google "braodband speed checker" and try 3 of the responses. Don't use one reccomended by most ISP's cos they lie!!

Comment

One I have used is
                  Check the speed of your broadband connection using our UK based speed test server. Use our website to graph the changes in speed over time and help find problems.

(no download needed)
                  which can compare your speed with others in your area. If your speed is much lower than your neighbour's it should mean there is something you can do to improve it. This may be switching ISP (if it is an ISP problem) or changing your home setup (which phone socket your rooter is plugged into, where you have put your wireless router and so on) if it is 'your' problem.

All the factors which JanetB mentions can affect it. So if you are comparing from one day to another, try to make as much as possible the same on both occasions.

Comment

Working...
                  X