Using quotes in Google search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using quotes in Google search

Has Google changed something recently? If I'm searching for somebody by name I usually put quotes around their name, and if it finds nothing then I try again with surname first,
    e.g. "John Vidgen Parsons" then "Parsons John Vidgen". Just now, the first search came up with a message saying no matches found for the whole thing so it gave me results for John Vidgen Parsons with no quotes, but my second search doesn't say that - it just asks me if I mean "Parsons John Ogden" and then gives me what I suppose must again be the matches without quotes, but since it doesn't actually say so, can I be sure there isn't a full match somewhere in there without looking through them all?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

I haven't noticed any recent change, except that, as you say, if there are no results for the phrase in inverted commas it automatically gives a list of hits without the inverted commas.

I'll experiment a bit and see what happens.

Comment

I've just tried it with one of my more unusual names (David John Aurelius), and it behaves as you'd expect it to even when I reverse the name order (ie. it finds no results and gives me the hits for the name without quotes).

Comment

I've also noticed a change in the last few days. In addition to the change Kite mentions where it comes up with "No results found for ..." followed by a list of results without the quotes, I used to be able to search for a phrase by only putting in the first quotation mark, but not the second. But that doesn't work anymore, and just searches as if it were without quotes.
        Sarah

Comment

Hmm, I'm also getting different kinds of results when trying different combinations of quotes around two words compared to three words.
          Sarah

Comment

Working...
          X