Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jumpy video playback with LCD monitors

Hey there

I wonder if someone can help? A month or so ago my old CRT monitor died on me and so I went out and bought an LCD monitor but when it came to playing videos (like BBC iplayer) the playback was jumpy and skipped frames and sometmes there'd be a flashing on thw screens. Thinking it was a problem with the monitor I returned it but have since borrowed someone eleses and am having the exact same problem. Watching videos on my old CRT was never a problem at all so I wondered if it was because my computer can't hande the high res of an LCD? I have a Compaq Evo D5S, P4, 1.7 GHZ+40GB HD,256MB, WIN XP. I have tried dowlaoding a bunch of drivers for graphics from HP's website but no joy. I've seen an engineer and he can't figure it out either although he didn't fiddle around with the machine just watched a video on it but suggests looking for a new graphics card might help although I have no idea what to look for. Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks!

A new graphic card is a possible solution, if you play the videos at less than full screen then do they skip? It could also be the power of your computer as it's pretty old technology. Personally I would turn the resolution of the screens down when you watch full screen video, or just buy a new base unit (computer) to go with your new monitor, I would not waste money buying a new graphic card as with that old a computer you might have problems finding one to fit anyway.
    Jane
    Family Historian User Group : My Family History : My Photography
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Comment

Hiya, sorry for late reply, they arn't quite as jumpy when they are minimised but yes they do still jump quite a bit. My friend reckons he's got links to graphics cards on ebay somewhere but he's taking his sweet time sending them over.

Comment

Working...
      X