wireless etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wireless etc

I have several problems,but I don't know if they are related or different.
    1. I have just joined TalkTalk and they have sent me a wireless router -Huawei HG520b.
    I am using Windows XP.I do not have a wireless network icon so bought a Micronet Wireless LAN Adapter (SP907GK) which I installed.All the lights on the router are lit as they should be but I cannot find TalkTalk Wireless Network. On the wireless Network utility,on the general tab it says-Status-then flashing-checking status/not associated. next to speed it says N/A and next to Type it says Infrastructural.
    Below that it says Network address
    Mac Address 00:11:3B:17:DC:88
    IP Address 0.0.0.0
    Subnet Mask 0.0.0.0
    Gateway ---there is ReNew IP to click on
    I don't understand any of this,I only know it doesn't work and I am reluctant to ring the helpline as I may not understand what they are saying! What can I be doing wrong?
    2. Before using this router(using the yellow cable) I used to be able to use Internet Explorer and Outlook Express,but now I cannot.I have not been able to download I.E.8 from T.T. website.
    I will look in from time to time for any answers.Please treat me like an ignoramus and keep advice as simple as possible. Thanks in advance.
    Fran

Hi Fran,

Where is the router in relation to your PC ??
    https://squeakerslair.wordpress.com

Comment

The router is next to the monitor at the moment.
      Fran

Comment

Fran did you install the Talktalk assist and go disc ???? if so it will detect your having trouble and search for the problem for you automatically

Comment

Originally posted by fran View Post
          The router is next to the monitor at the moment.
          Fran
          Just use a cable then, it will give you a more reliable connection to the router than wireless... Just because it is a wireless capable router doesnt mean that you HAVE to use it wirelessly
          https://squeakerslair.wordpress.com

Comment

Wireless ~ this is a worrying word for me too. I have a desktop at the moment and cannot detect any form of wireless network I am with Talk Talk. My router is a D~Link supplied by T T about two years ago.

When I get time to buy the laptop that I keep saying I am going to purchase how do I link it to my Desk Top?

Maybe it would not be worth it as my Desktop is running Vista and a new machine would be Window 7.
            Margaret N
            DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

Margaret, I have a desktop running XP and a laptop that runs Windows 7. My broadband is via ADSL ethernet cable and when I bought the laptop I bought a Belkin wireless router so I could access the internet with the it anywhere around the house.

The router is connected to the ADSL modem and the desktop is connected to the router. It all works well and I can even have both computers on line at the same time. The router gives me access of over 150 metres.

The router had an install disk but I rang Belkin Support and they talked me through the whole connection process.

Comment

Val, I have never heard of a T.T.assist and go disc.
                Grimsqueaker,I have got the wireless router because I want to move the computer to another room,and eventually I would like a laptop.
                Fran

Comment

Fran you should have got one when you signed up , ask them for it

Comment

Val,Have been able to download Assist and Go.Went through all the steps but still wouldn't connect.A friend brought his router here and was able to connect through that,so it seems that there is nothing wrong with the wireless adaptor or with my computer.Could there be a fault with the router? If there is how can I find out?
                    Fran

Comment

there could quite easy be a fault with the router , ring talktalk or if you can go on their forum they will talk you through it .
                      When you try to connect does the talktalk meter come up and say you are having problems ???
                      Failing that click on the talktalk assist and go logo and it will help you , it goes through stages

Comment

why are you trying to download IE from the Talktalk webste ?
                        And have you tried connecting without the adaptor???

Comment

try their forum you will have to register

Comment

I have posted this on the talktalk forum hope to get an answer for you

Comment

Thank you Val,I will take a look

Comment

I have looked Val,but cannot see where you have posted!
                                I wanted I E and saw a link on TT website so thought I would download from there.This problem was resolved with Assist and Go.
                                I have not tried to connect without the adapter as I presumed that as I have no way of switching on a wireless network,then I must need an adapter.It worked perfectly well when my friend tried it with his router.
                                It just says that the connection failed when I tried to connect using Assist and Go.I watched the countdown and had such hope,but nothing doing!

Comment

here it is on the beginners page

after it failed did you not get a message box telling you wat to do next ?????

Comment

As far as I can remember it told me to get a support code number,which I have done and to mail,or ring.There may have been a third option.I have emailed,but it may be better to ring them.Thank you so much for going to so much trouble on my behalf.
                                    Fran

Comment

good luck let me know how you get on

Comment

Have just spent 30 minutes on TT.helpline. I am no nearer to a solution now than I was yesterday. Tried to explain that my friends router worked,but not mine,but the chap wouldn't have it that the router could be faulty because it connects with the ethernet cable, and the lights are lit. he said the problem must be with the adapter even though it worked with another router yesterday! I checked yesterday to see if the adapter was installed properly(got instructions from TT website), and it was.I haven't the energy to ring them back again this morning.I got the feeling he was working from a script and was sticking to it.
                                        Fran

Comment

Working...
                                        X