No announcement yet.

Administrator - insufficient rights????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Administrator - insufficient rights????

I'm trying to install some software I had on my previous computer with XP.... I now have Vista and a box comes up when I put the disc in, that says

Access denied - insufficient rights.
    To install the software you must have Administration Rights -
    Please log in as adminstrator and start installation again.

Can anyone please help me to find the 'Log on' screen, I don't think I've ever been asked to log on as I'm the only person using the computer.

thanks for any help
    jean
    Jean....the mist is starting to clear

There is probably a permanent way of getting around this problem - but I'm not experienced enough to give details!

To get round this on a "one-off" installation try this.
    Open My Computer
    Open the drive of the disc you are trying to install so you can see the files.
    Is there one there called Setup (application type file)? If so, right click and select Run as Administrator.
    Then double click on the Setup file and it should autorun.
    Elaine

Comment

Thankyou Elaine .... that worked ...

I'd been going into 'Command Promp' and 'Run as Administrator' ..... then going through the whole blooming palaver until I was lost ... when all I had to do was ask you.
      Thanks again
      jean
      Jean....the mist is starting to clear

Comment

I would advocate using the procedure Elaine outlined every time. If you set up the computer so that any user can run as Administrator, any virus (etc) which gets in has no limit set on what it can do, as it will be running as Administrator too. Windows isn't intrinsically all that good at protection, but there's no need to make it even weaker!

Comment

Working...
        X