McAfee security help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McAfee security help needed

This morning we got a message on our pc from McAfee, our security provider. It said " An error occurred while updating. Please reinstall these programmes
    3-user McAfee internet security.

I have reinstalled McAfee but to no avail & don't know what to do now.

When we go onto the internet, we keep getting messages about "windows defence" and when I tried to go into Facebook for example, I kept getting a message about a phishing website. I did a scan which found a couple of trojans & am not sure if they have gone or not Please help
    Lynn

I have now scanned it twice using Fsecure & there is no difference. There is still a message at the top of the screen saying that "your system might be at risk, click here to protect your system with Windows Defence"
    I have reinstalled McAfee but we are still getting the error message mentioned in the first post.
    Whenever I go on a site, within a couple of minutes, I get thrown out saying it is a "phishing website" so we are unable to use the internet on the pcat all. I am running out of ideas.
    Please help!
    Lynn

Comment

I may be wrong, but it sounds like a virus/trojan which is trying to get you to download a spoof anti-virus program. Do you have any other protection software such as SuperAntispyware or Malwarebytes?
      Researching Nickless & Evans, Shropshire & Montgomeryshire. Also Ord and Coulson, Co. Durham

Comment

First enable Windows Firewall.

1. Uninstall all McAfee programs through "Add or Remove Programs" in Windows "Control Panel".
        2. Use the MCPR tool, see this article: How to remove supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR.exe). This will remove all McAfee remnants from your computer. (you must have Windows Vista, XP or 2000 SP4 to use this tool)
        3. Launch Windows Explorer and delete all McAfee files in "Program Files" but especially in "C:\Document and Settings\<user>\Application Data" and "C:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data". You have to set Windows Explorer to show all hidden files and folders (Tools > Folder Options > View tab). Just delete the McAfee folders even if they are empty in all the "Application Data" folders. Can be more than one!
        In Vista: C:\Program Files, C:\ProgramData and C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming
        4. Reboot and redownload/reinstall your McAfee products directly from your account at the McAfee web site, NOT from any CD that you have.

Windows Firewall should have been automatically turned off during this procedure.

try this Lynn

I personally dont like Mcafee I use Kaspersky internet suite it has the lot .

Comment

The first time I ran F secure, it found & "renamed" a trojan but the problem is still there. My husband was on the pc when a problem first seemed to appear & he did start scanning with windows defence until it asked for payment, but I think that did the damage.
          I am trying to scan with malwarebytes as recommended by another friend as well, but the trojan appears to be blocking the site.
          I can't download from the McAfee site Val, as we get our security via O2 & only have the cd they provided.
          I will try again with Malware later, hopefully we can't get rid of it, as the laptop is really slow!
          Lynn

Comment

Lynn, do you have another computer that you can download the Malawarebyte program file to - then copy it on to a memory stick over to the computer that is giving you trouble?
            Elaine

Comment

It does appear that windows defence is a rogue anti virus threat.

Information about Windows-defence.com and how to get rid of it. Step by step removal guide.
              Christine in Portugal

Comment

Thanks for that Christine.
                Elaine, I think I've got rid of it now, although I am not really sure how. I got onto the Malware website, thanks to a friend sending a link & although I did try & download it, I hadn't managed to use it. But the windows defence messages have now gone.
                I am still getting the message about the MaFee needing reinstalling though.
                Lynn

Comment

Well, I hadn't got rid of it & had to call in an engineer. He called me yesterday to say that he was having real problems getting rid of it & was going to have to reinstall windows. :( I am really looking forward to getting it back & working properly, although I am not looking forward to the bill!
                  Lynn

Comment

what a shame I am super paranoid about clicking on pop ups.

Comment

Yes, I am just glad that we knew someone who could help, I just wish we had contacted him sooner.
                      Lynn

Comment

Working...
                      X