This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scanning Photos

Can someone please explain to me when you scanning a photo to post on here how do you make it bigger....

What DPI setting should it be
    When saved to Photobucket, how big should i make it when re sizing

Many thanks
    Julie passed away 5th November 2012.

On the settings in your scanner software there should be an option to change the Resolution of the picture, the options are usually something like 120, 300, 600, 1200 depending on your scanner you might have more or less. The number is DPI or Dots Per Inch. When your scanner copies the image it records it as lots of dots, the more dots that you scan the more detail you get and the bigger you can re-size the image. I would suggest that for normal use (deveolping prints adding to your tree etc) that 300 should be enough. If you want to enlarge the image or do any restoration work on it then I would suggest higher. The problem with using a higher DPI is that it will take longer to scan as more information is being recorded.

In terms of Photobucket I can't really advise much as it isn't something I use. If you are uploading the photos to get prints then leaving the images at the scanned in resolution should be fine (expcept for enlargements). If it is for other purposes then perhaps re-sizing the image to be smaller would be of help.

Hope this helps.
    Becky

Comment

Many thanks Becky for getting back to me, it have a play and see what happeneds

Comment

When you've scanned your pic, turn it into a jpg (that's if it's a psd file) and then don't bother about re-sizing .... just see if it will upload on to Pbucket.

As far as I can make out Pbucket compresses it automatically, so then you can post it on here

That's assuming it's not REALLY HUGE
        ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Hi Rachel

Thank you for that..when i scan them in i do it through Paint so can't see where i need to change it to a JPG

Comment

Very Good instructions on this thread:

Comment

Can anyone tell me how to scan a book but for it to open in word so I can change size of text etc ;;;>?????
              borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Working...
              X