Sending large files by email

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sending large files by email

I've been working on a mini book on one particular branch of my family for months. I planned to distribute it this week to my family and send one copy to the records office in Lewes to be kept with the items held there for this family.

It's 19 pages long with photos, the file size 64.7 mb and it's in Word format. I've tried compressing it and it only takes the size down to 64.5mb!!

I've just tried to email it and AOL tells me that the largest file I can attach is 16 mb.

I suppose I could split it up and send it in 5 emails, but I don't really want to do that.

I could print off the archives copy and take it there myself, as I'm planning on going there next week. However, I don't want to print off copies for my relatives as it's going to use so much ink!!

I'm pulling my hair out here, can someone help please :o

Could you place it on a web site and send the link to your rellies? (and no, I don't know how to do this, but I'm sure there is someone here who does)

Beverley

Comment

The reason you can't compress it much is that you have probably put the pictures in as jpegs, which are already compressed.

You could reduce the resolution of the photos, 150x150 dpi is usually OK for most uses, which should bring the file size down considerably.
      Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
      Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
      Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
      Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
      Devine in Ireland

Comment

There is a site where you can upload files, similar to photobucket, and then people can download them from there, or the site will forward the email ..... I had the web addy but can´t find it now!

Have just found this site - have a look to see if it helps
        Easily Send Large Files! Free Accounts!
        Elaine

Comment

This might have been the one I was thinking of

Upload: Upload

Update - yes this was the one I was thinking of, found it amongst my favourites now! Have used it and it works.
          Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 17-07-07, 10:31.
          Elaine

Comment

Try this website. Used it a few months back and it worked fine.

YouSendIt - Send large files - transfer delivery - FTP Replacement
            Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Thanks everyone for your help, I've being washing the breakfast things to calm down a bit

I haven't really got time to create a website this week as I'm going away at the weekend, and I don't really want to reduce the resolution of the photos as I don't want to lose their clarity.

However, I've been looking at those websites Elaine - thank you, and think that's how I'm going to proceed.

Comment

Thanks Wendy

I'm in a dilemma now which one to use.....

decisions, decisions..........

Comment

Thanks John, but I've opted for YouSendIt. It took me quite a while putting everybody in my contacts list and emailing them first to tell them the download notification was on its way. The record office in Lewes emailed me straight back asking for a hard copy as they didn't like opening attachments. So that's one to print out instead of 21. I'll have to get a presentation file for it, so it will be a bit like a book - my first novel

I was going to ask how they can offer this service for free, until the pop ups started flashing in my face and I had the answer I've told everyone to run anti virus through the download just in case.

Thank you for your help everybody

Comment

I sent out 20+ invites to download the file on https://www.yousendit.com and I've already reached my download limit of 1GB. I should have realised that this wasn't enough, but I've been so busy this week, I really didn't have much time to think about it. If I want more download space then I need to pay and the charges are quite steep

Upload: Upload has a download limit of 250MB, so that won't be enough.

I'm now using Easily Send Large Files! Free Accounts! There's no download limit, however the file is only kept on their site for 3 days! Talk about swings and roundabouts :D

Anyway, I thought I'll tell you this in case anyone's planning on using these sites.........

Comment

Working...
                    X