Mythological problem with FTM 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mythological problem with FTM 2017

I am once again trying to develop a mythological family tree based on Hesiod's Theogony and I'm facing the same problem I faced some 3 or 4 years ago: there are quite a few brother-sister, mother-son, father-daughter marriages with issue which the software will not accept; simply will not allow me to enter. Has anyone ever faced this rather academic situation? and has anyone discovered some way to "trick" the software into accepting such entries? If yes, would you be kind enough to share the "trick"? E.G. Gaia had issue with two husbands, with one of her own sons, and with one of her own brothers. Ec., Ec.

Incidentally, I have tried doing it by hand (pieces of paper moved around on my desk) and I had problems even with THAT effort. My next effort was a spreadsheet ... Now that was a mess! I wish to enter such a tree into an essay I am writing about Hesiod, so any help is appreciated in advance.

Anthony J.

Family Historian doesn't seem to have an issue with this - which software do you use? You can make the entries and then lines are used to create relationships on the diagram. If you work from the diagram to add the people and relationships it is easier.

You can join other diagrams onto the main diagram to get an overall view, depending on who you want to make the root of the tree.

silly-tree.jpg
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I married them all off to each other in this one. The Root is the mother of the First family and she has married her son, another husband, a brother and her son's father. Her daughter has been married off to her maternal grandfather.

It is the All Relatives diagram and it is the left to right option on the diagram.

The only time there was a warning is about which family to add them to or to create a new one (Click twice to get largest view).

silly-tree-3.jpg
      Caroline
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Hello Caroline. Please forgive me for not replying ,more promptly. My health cannot be depended upon any longer, I'm afraid, I get one good day and two or three bad ones. I am almost 78 so these things are to be expected.
        As I mentioned in my original post's heading I am using Family Tree Maker 2017 and having unsuccessfully tried your solution I find that you must be using a different software which obviously is much more advanced than mine. So no joy. No use approaching the FTM forum; it's like talking to the furniture. For example: Have you tried turning your pc off and on again? At times I feel like giving up the effort and calling it a day, but I shall keep trying and perhaps I may some day stumble onto success. Once again I thank you for taking the time trying to assist me in finding a solution.

Comment

Tony, 'Family Historian' which Caroline and I use is just another software package like FTM. Have you considered trying it? They do have a month free trial but the purchase price is quite reasonable anyway. Another advantage of 'Family Historian' is that there is a super online user group who are always willing to help with problems.

Caroline has shown you that Family Historian does seem to be able to cope with your specific need. I do think it would be worth trying it out because it seems clear that FTM cannot do what you want.

Find the software package at https://www.family-historian.co.uk. The user group is at https://www.fhug.org.uk

Anne

Comment

Thank you, Anne, I shall definitely give it a go.
            Regards from Ottawa

Comment

Originally posted by tonyvella View Post
              Hello Caroline. Please forgive me for not replying ,more promptly. My health cannot be depended upon any longer, I'm afraid, I get one good day and two or three bad ones. I am almost 78 so these things are to be expected.
              As I mentioned in my original post's heading I am using Family Tree Maker 2017 and having unsuccessfully tried your solution I find that you must be using a different software which obviously is much more advanced than mine. So no joy. No use approaching the FTM forum; it's like talking to the furniture. For example: Have you tried turning your pc off and on again? At times I feel like giving up the effort and calling it a day, but I shall keep trying and perhaps I may some day stumble onto success. Once again I thank you for taking the time trying to assist me in finding a solution.
              Originally posted by tonyvella View Post
              Thank you, Anne, I shall definitely give it a go.
              Regards from Ottawa
              Not worry - as Anne said, the software is well worth looking at. I did have an (expensive) try of FTM17 but it didn't like my cousin marriages and duplicated some of them into the bargain, so I can imagine it is tricky for marrying off siblings.

You only need to enter each person once and then Family Historian has a lot of scope in the presentation of charts & diagrams. I am sure that we can help you out with it.
              Caroline

Comment

Working...
              X