Windows 11 and anti virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 11 and anti virus

This PC keeps throwing up my Mcafee is running out tomorrow.
    The PC Is only a few months old
    Question is I was told by a PC man that you dont need to install any Anti Virus as its well protected, is that true if not why is this message appearing.

What a daft salesperson! Even though Windows own built security is better than it has ever been, it is no substitute for a proper security product.
    I suspect the reason you keep getting the popup is because your machine came with a free trial of McAfee.

Comment

Are you certain it's not a scam. There are a LOT of scams about Mcafee and Norton around at the moment.
      Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
        This PC keeps throwing up my Mcafee is running out tomorrow.
        The PC Is only a few months old
        Question is I was told by a PC man that you dont need to install any Anti Virus as its well protected, is that true if not why is this message appearing.
        He will have meant you don't need any additional protection because it was already well protected, because as GL said, it will have come with a free working trial which usually lasts about 3 months. You will have been using Windows Defender as well. You won't have been using it with nothing at all or you'd have run into trouble by now. If you're with BT you can get their free version of it - BT Virus Protect or go with whatever other one you fancy or pay for the trial.
        Caroline
        Caroline's Family History Pages
        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Thanks everybody I thought it strange, I am going to install BTs, had forgotten about theirs.

Talking of scams ,I had a text today saying from BT ,but the number looked weird, said the text would only be available for one day, I did not respond, has anybody heard of this one.

Comment

you will need to uninstall mcaffee, otherwise it will keep giving you reminders
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
            Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
              Thanks everybody I thought it strange, I am going to install BTs, had forgotten about theirs.
              Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
              you will need to uninstall mcaffee, otherwise it will keep giving you reminders
              Getting rid of the first McAfee will be done as part of installing BT Protect.

Did you log on to MyBT at all? Sometime you have to put a code in, depending on what you are trying to do.
              Caroline
              Caroline's Family History Pages
              Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

installed BTs one now thanks , no Caroline I never even had the PC on.

Comment

Just found this googling that was the number that rang me.

Read more than 126 user reviews and security ratings for number 08456021111 / +44 845 602 1111 (premium rate, United Kingdom), mostly rated as neutral Robocall. Get our Free protection against unwanted calls.

Comment

Working...
                  X