Advice please 're external hard drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice please 're external hard drive

All I ever hear is you must back up your computer. But how and with what. Have googled and u tubed.
    ​​​​​​Can see loads to buy on Amazon but not sure which size and ? USB, portab!e or otherwise

Vera

You would only back up your data, so it depends on how much data you have on what you back it up onto.

if you only have a few folders with things on, on windows you can right click on the folder, and check properties and it will show you how much you have stored.

these days you can get USB sticks that store oodles, and a couple of these maybe enough.

if you have 1000s of photos and videos you might need something bigger. external hard drives are only small and portable, but some need power from main source, others will just run off usb from PC. if you don't have to power up I think these are more convenient,

you can put some photos onto google if you register with them, I use this free service for any on my phone, it saves them smaller, and my phone just synchs to it.

my tree is backed up on Ancestry and that is the main reason I have FTM software,
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Hello Carolyn. Thanks. I have put some things on those sticks (Photos) and one of those other disc things. I have a lot of things bookmarked and would like to have my tree backed up. I thought maybe one of those external bits of kit would be easier, backing up at intervals.

I have Looked at one on Amazon WD 1 TB elements portable USB. Do you think that would be Ok. Not sure I need portable?

Vera

Comment

I have a WD My Passport Ultra 1TB. It has served me well for years. It’s nice and light and roughly 4”x3” in size and less than 1/2” deep.

Comment

I have a 1Tb separate hard drive with a USB connection. It lives in a cupboard and I back up all my stuff ti it (family tree stuff, photos, accounts etc). I do it on a regular basis, get it out, plug into computer, make a new file with the date on the hard drive and just copy, drag and drop all the stuff I want to back up into the separate hard drive window. I have about a years worth of dated files and it easily holds them. Each time I back up I delete the oldest one. Nice and easy because I don't get on with 'automatic backups' as I don't feel in control.
          Anne

Comment

1tb sounds like enough I would think. you can get flash drives with 1tb these days. But could be less reliable.

I found a load of old flash drives and they were like 1gb, amazing how things have changed, when I got them didn't even know what a tb was!

a small portable hard drive is probably better, as I find flash drives, whilst small easy to 'lose'
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
            Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Thank you all for your advice. I need to inwardly digest. I think I may go for the Amazon one and give it a go for ease of use.

I have got a stick and scan disk in a box with a lot of memory but not sure how they work backing up everything as I go. I will have a play.

The scan disk one I got from Tescos. I discussed it with the shop assistant who recommended the larger size as value for money. It certainly was. When I got to pay, the bill seemed low to me and I questioned it. Apparently the disk had been incorrectly priced. I did offer to pay correct amount but they said just to pay as it was marked at.

Vera

Comment

That interested me Anne I have a passport, and was wondering the best way to get rid of old stuff, the way you name folders seems a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                  That interested me Anne I have a passport, and was wondering the best way to get rid of old stuff, the way you name folders seems a good idea.
                  Yes, I do it monthly. Just make a new folder with the date and drag everything into it. The reason I do that is because if you continuously back up to the same files you keep EVERYTHING! I like to keep my files tidy and delete things I no longer need. I once had to make use of a traditional backup and was very disgruntled to get ALL those old deleted ones back again.
                  Anne

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
                    All I ever hear is you must back up your computer. But how and with what. Have googled and u tubed.
                    ​​​​​​Can see loads to buy on Amazon but not sure which size and ? USB, portab!e or otherwise

Vera
                    Set it and forget it. One of the easiest and best free backups I've found. We use it on both laptops.

Comment

Originally posted by LookingForFamily View Post

Set it and forget it. One of the easiest and best free backups I've found. We use it on both laptops.

https://www.bvckup2.com/
                      I should explain further. We have a server in one of our closets that we back up to. An external drive would serve the same function. The program I linked to runs in the background and will do one of two types of back up. You can tell it to run at certain times, or you can tell it to monitor your computer constantly and back up changes immediately. You can tell it what files and folders to back up or let it back up the entire drive.

With this set up I'd leave the external drive plugged in and place it away from your work area. You can buy some pretty long USB cables so it doesn't have to be right next to your computer. I've seen them as long as 16 feet on Amazon.

Comment

Also don't forget the importance of off-site backups... using an external drive is better than nothing, but is no help if something disastrous befalls your home... There are many cloud providers out there who, for a small monthly fee, will allow you to sync folders on your PC/Mac/Whatever to online storage.

https://squeakerslair.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
                        X