Anybody recommend a Portable Hard Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody recommend a Portable Hard Drive

Been reading the review of the WD Passport, not sure what to think, some good some bad.

I haven't bought one in years so can't really comment. However, from my experience, buty one with a separate power cord; otherwise they drain your laptop if you're using one.

Comment

I have a WD Passport Ultra 1TB. Very neat and lightweight. It just has a connect cord and not a separate power one. If I’m backing up all the files on my laptop, I always have it plugged in so battery drain isn’t an issue for me.
      I’ve had it for many years and never had a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by pinefamily View Post
        I haven't bought one in years so can't really comment. However, from my experience, buty one with a separate power cord; otherwise they drain your laptop if you're using one.
        Buy one without a power cord so you can use it when out and about... if you are near a power outlet, plug your laptop's charger into it !
        https://squeakerslair.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
          I have a WD Passport Ultra 1TB. Very neat and lightweight. It just has a connect cord and not a separate power one. If I’m backing up all the files on my laptop, I always have it plugged in so battery drain isn’t an issue for me.
          I’ve had it for many years and never had a problem.
          Have to agree GallowayLass .. I have a 2tb one and can't fault it... the only hiccup is that since buying a mac, I needed to get a different cable/adapter for it
          https://squeakerslair.wordpress.com

Comment

Thanks everybody off to order one

Comment

There seems to be a great difference in price , which one do you have Galloway?

Comment

The WD My Passport Ultra 1TB.

Mine has a standard USB-A fitting. If your laptop is a shiny new (‘ish) model make sure whether it has USB-C ports, USB-A or both.
                If you don’t know about the different kinds, click here https://www.houkconsulting.com/2018/...-cables-ports/

Data transfer speed-wise, USB3 is the latest and fastest, then 2 and the original standard was 1. Mine is the old original standard with a USB-A cable. Both 3 and 2 are backwards compatible so you could buy one with USB 3 transfer speed and use it on an older machine but the transfer speed will only be as fast as the innards of your machine can manage. If you are thinking of replacing your machine in the future then you might want to consider the more expensive USB 3 drive.
                It all depends on how much you want to spend -storage space v transfer speed.

Comment

I think I understand that, this is a fairly new Desktop , so I assume most will suit, Tom is paying so will go for a better one than I would have bought.
                  Thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X