Google opening in wrong browser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google opening in wrong browser

This is driving me nuts it started after a update, found this solution but it did not make any difference

What device are you using? PC, laptop, mobile phone?
    On a PC or laptop, or even phone, you should be able to set a default browser. Google should open results in that default browser.

Comment

open the browser you want to be the default, and go to setting 3 little dots or similar in top right, and set to default. they probably sneaked a little box somewhere when you upgraded, that you needed to untick, to make Bing the default.
      Last edited by cbcarolyn; 06-01-21, 09:36.
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I did have trouble with Firefox a while back. Each time there was an update, Bing became the default search engine. It no longer happens fortunately.

Comment

thanks all, already had it as my default, when I log onto sites its fine, its if say there is a link to pay something ordered on ebay it switches .

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
            thanks all, already had it as my default, when I log onto sites its fine, its if say there is a link to pay something ordered on ebay it switches .
            If it does that then it isn't set as your default. When you log on you are already in the browser and have opened it?
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

thanks Carolyn I cannot find a way to make it permanent, never had this before.

Comment

try this. I have just opened firfox as it was not open on PC and it did straightaway ask me if I wanted to make it default. Have you tried that. Just close any windows open.

During a software update, your settings can sometimes change or revert back to their original state. For example, if your computer has multiple browsers in
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Comment

I'm sitting here rolling up Carolyn I did all that and this is what Firefox did, I could not reply to your post.
                  Attached Files

Comment

What did it do? I am confused....
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Comment

I got to your last post, to respond after I did what you suggested, and came back to reply, but there were no options for reply.
                      I am trying again.

Comment

Val, it sounds like the problem is with Firefox. Check if there is an update for Firefox. Occasionally their updates can cause an issue, but is fixed by another update.

Comment

Thanks Pine finally got it working right so relieved .

Comment

No worries, Val. I had the same problem for a while. Links opening in Edge, and Bing the default search engine in Firefox. Despite resetting defaults, it was only after another Firefox update it was sorted out.

Comment

Dont know about you but, I dont like Edge , and it seems from googling lots of people dont.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                                Dont know about you but, I dont like Edge , and it seems from googling lots of people dont.
                                I love the new Edge. It’s totally different from the original one and based on the Chrome platform but is a Microsoft product not a Google one. I used to use Internet Explorer from its inception till IE11 and only gave up on it because so many sites had stopped running properly on it.

Comment

I tried it at the beginning and too many sites wouldn't work on it. I then started using chrome (and at work too) and have it on every device so have just stuck to it, can you use it on Apple devices?
                                  Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Comment

Yes you can use Edge on Apple devices. If you have a Microsoft account login, you can synch your favourites across all devices where you have Edge installed. If you just use Edge without a Microsoft account login, that feature doesn’t work. You can import favourites from other browsers during setup though as per normal.
                                    In the past I have used Chrome, Firefox, Opera, IE as well as Safari and consequently I have many duplicated favourites. I need to sort them out first before I use the synch feature. I have made up another Edge browser specific account though ready for when I get round to the job.

I haven’t come across a site yet that doesn’t work in the new Edge. Which ones gave you trouble?

Comment

this was way back when it first came out, I am sure all solved now, but by then I had gone down the chrome route.

We could only use ie or Chrome at work, so Chrome was a better choice at the time. That at the time was system driven then as well, many systems weren't up to date with some browsers.

Might ring the changes and give edge a go
                                      Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                                        this was way back when it first came out, I am sure all solved now, but by then I had gone down the chrome route.

We could only use ie or Chrome at work, so Chrome was a better choice at the time. That at the time was system driven then as well, many systems weren't up to date with some browsers.

Might ring the changes and give edge a go
                                        You will find things much better now. The old MS produced Edge product was rubbish. This time it’s still their product but they have made it open source to developers which keeps it evolving behind the scenes. I never used plugins with Chrome which was a big selling point for it. I have read that many of the plugins there can be used in the new Edge. Apart from the ones that ancestry have forced into oblivion. That’s how I became aware of plugins but by the time I would have been able to understand what they could do for me, ancestry had blocked them.

Comment

Working...
                                        X