Ftm 2005

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ftm 2005

Can anyone help with this problem? I am using FTM 2005 for my family tree etc. A friend also uses this prog for her family tree but she unfortunately lost it all when her laptop went down. She can't find her installation disk. I have mine but am not sure whether to lend it to her as she will have to use the same code as I did when installing it. If she does I don't know if this will affect my family tree on my laptop in any way (ie override what I have put in mine or even delete my family tree altogether). Maybe I am overthinking this and it will probably be OK for her to use my disk. Can anybody advise please?

PS She doesn't really want to go to the expense of buying a new FTM if she can help it.
    Interested in the following:CRUSH from Essex and London; YOUNG from Wanstead Essex and East London; HODSON from Chester; and GERAGHTY/GERRITY from Chester and Co Mayo

I wouldn’t worry about it affecting your trees in any way. You can install it quite happily on more than one pc. Just don’t do the registration bit.
    It might pop up every now and again asking her to register but as long as she declines, it will be fine.
    As you can no longer search ancestry from within the programme and tree synching had not been invented, there’s nothing that can affect you in any way. The software will be on her pc which is not connected to yours at all and any trees she has are stored and worked on only on her hard drive.

Comment

I assume you have the key a well as the software? I lost my key many moons ago.
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Thanks for responding Galloway Lass and Carolyn.

Carolyn, by 'key' do you mean the activation code, as that's all I have.

Bev
        Interested in the following:CRUSH from Essex and London; YOUNG from Wanstead Essex and East London; HODSON from Chester; and GERAGHTY/GERRITY from Chester and Co Mayo

Comment

Originally posted by r642611 View Post
          Thanks for responding Galloway Lass and Carolyn.

Carolyn, by 'key' do you mean the activation code, as that's all I have.

Bev
          Yes, just in case you went to all the effort and realised you didn't have it!
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Thanks Carolyn.

Sorry to be a pain but I have just actually checked my disk again and it's not FTM 2005 but the Platinum version bought in 2008. Will it make any difference that my friend uses the 2005 version?

Bev

Comment

Has she got her family tree backed up as a gedcom file? if so then it should work by importing it into any family tree program as this is just a data file. If it is a special FTM file and I really can't remember back that far if it would be.

your software should install, but whether the newer versions only let you go online to register I can't remember - worth trying.

Should could download a free tree software package there are free lite versions around, I know rootsmagic is one.
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Comment

RootsMagic will directly import an ftm orginal file up to 2006 version. After that, the architecture of FTM changed considerably.

Comment

Carolyn and Galloway Lass

Thank you once again for all your help. I'll pass it all on and see what she wants to do.

Stay safe

Bev

Comment

Working...
                  X