No announcement yet.

Writing your Family History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you both for the constructive feedback. I too prefer the larger type but wondered if people may think I was indicating blind as bat syndrome, but I can address that. I am also struggling re font style, but these are hurdles that I hope to sort out as I go along.
    Carolyn, this is a free blog to cut my teeth on, I have read stories you and Paul have shared but they are aspired too, by myself. I am not computer illiterate, well probably yes I am but learn as I go along. If I recall Paul uses wordpress and I think Carolyn uses the same.
    I find it so difficult to not make my own thoughts known when writing, I am sure I would find it easier if I did, but I am very aware that this would be my own interpretation and someone else may view it in a different way.
    Thank you for the link Paul, I will take a look and yes I will keep going.
    Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

I think you are being too harsh on yourself, you’re writing for yourself as well as anybody else, the important thing is that you are capturing it now. Yes I do use Wordpress and you can play around with the various themes on there, I pay a yearly fee, but the free themes are more than adequate.

I would say say adding your own thoughts and interpretations ARE REALLY IMPORTANT as long as you state that these are just thoughts and not facts. Interpretation can be good and engages a discussion with those that are reading what you write, so I would encourage you to draw conclusions, I do it all the time.
      My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Comment

Originally posted by bubblebelle View Post
        Thank you both for the constructive feedback. I too prefer the larger type but wondered if people may think I was indicating blind as bat syndrome, but I can address that. I am also struggling re font style, but these are hurdles that I hope to sort out as I go along.
        Carolyn, this is a free blog to cut my teeth on, I have read stories you and Paul have shared but they are aspired too, by myself. I am not computer illiterate, well probably yes I am but learn as I go along. If I recall Paul uses wordpress and I think Carolyn uses the same.
        I find it so difficult to not make my own thoughts known when writing, I am sure I would find it easier if I did, but I am very aware that this would be my own interpretation and someone else may view it in a different way.
        Thank you for the link Paul, I will take a look and yes I will keep going.
        These are all free blogspot blogs:

I bought the templates for these - at around £5 from Etsy
        Making & creating, sewing & cardmaking along with gardening. Bags, cards and accessories for sale, by Carolyn

Country Matters Hexton a quirky shop full of beautiful handmade items, local produce, King Cole yarn and preloved items. Fresh fruit and vegetables.

and this is my old one - that is using the provided templates:
        crafting and making, handmade bags, accessories and cards for sale. Gardening and day to day life.

A blog about trips out from Ampthill, such as gardens, shopping, eating

My family tree is wordpress - but I will I actually like the simplicity of blogspot - so I wouldn't worry about it. I think you maybe copying and pasting excerpts and it s taking the font from them, if you right click on the mouse and and choose plain text, then it will pick up your default font.

so this is Wordpress:

If you want some help always happy to see if I can, send me a PM.

Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I'm still feeling my way with blogging and writing up interesting stories I have found whilst researching my ancestors. I hope it's okay to share here and they may be of interest to someone out there.
          The Writers' Shed is for just that - sharing, acting as a platform! I've only just been able to sit down and read your writing. The layout is a bit of a distraction but I enjoyed reading them and found them very informative. I have Youatts in my tree so of course wondered if the name was connected as you do.

BUT the important thing is that you are writing!! I get a bit fed-up sometimes and wonder if anyone is actually reading mine, as I have only recently started sharing it on here and on Twitter, but I remind myself that I am writing it for me at the end of the day, although an audience would be nice. I do feel like Billy-No-Mates at times as my tweets go into the ether and get no response as the genealogy writing community is hard to break into - then somebody finds it on google and contacts me like this week and then it becomes worthwhile!

This is partly why I set up this area - I reckoned there were lots of people like me.

There are some good suggestions on here about blogging, and there are pinned threads with copious links to give you some ideas.
          Caroline
          Caroline's Family History Pages
          Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Ah thank you Carolyn, yes I do copy and paste so the right click sounds a winner.

Thank you for taking the time to read Caroline. I have read the pinned threads and the subsequent links, before making a start, it is retaining the information and carrying it through. Thank you for the feedback and recognise what you are saying re the layout, so I will have a play and try and improve the layout over the weekend.... and probably beyond.

Re the Youatts, I cannot say I have had that as a mistranscription with my Youells but the name Youatt often comes up alongside in searches. I think both names may come from the same branch name way back in the day, but don't quote me.

Thank you Paul and Caroline reminding me I am writing for me rather than trying to maintain the status quo. As you say no-one else may ever read it but someone out there may find something that breaks down their wall or be just of interest.
            Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

..... yes I do copy and paste so the right click sounds a winner.
              One way of not transferring the style is to paste it into Notepad on the way through, that way it gets rid of anything unnecessary. I always had to to do that to get the text into the magazine as Word and other word processors, or the forum, has their own underlying code and Notepad clears it out. I keep it pinned to my taskbar and still use it to transfer text anywhere. In case you've not come across it it is in Windows Accessories. (The downside is that it has no spell check.)

UPDATE: I've just coincidentally done exactly that to copy some text from a BBC page on Comedy Wildlife Photography Awards

Caroline
              Caroline's Family History Pages
              Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Thank you Caroline
                Bubblebelle x

Comment

I always gain ideas and tips by reading other people’s work, follow as many family history or genealogy blogs as you can.

Comment

I have been trying to correct some of the issues with my blog as suggested and thank you Carolyn for helping with a specific question. It remains a work in progress but I think I am slowly improving it and adding things.

Beatrice J Pye 1854-1901 https://mypynthdev.blogspot.com/2020...-youngest.html
                    The youngest sister of my Great Grandfather

Jean Iris Howard 1892-1951 https://mypynthdev.blogspot.com/2020...-jean-was.html
                    Another of my 'single ladies' with a story to tell.

The problem, as identified by Caroline, is that you start off with one tale and end up on a completely different one as you get sidetracked.

(Sorry, had to edit several times as couldn't link the blog initially)
                    Bubblebelle x

Comment

I have been trying to correct some of the issues with my blog as suggested and thank you Carolyn for helping with a specific question. It remains a work in progress but I think I am slowly improving it and adding things.

Beatrice J Pye 1854-1901 https://mypynthdev.blogspot.com/2020...-youngest.html
                      The youngest sister of my Great Grandfather

Jean Iris Howard 1892-1951 https://mypynthdev.blogspot.com/2020...-jean-was.html
                      Another of my 'single ladies' with a story to tell.

The problem, as identified by Caroline, is that you start off with one tale and end up on a completely different one as you get sidetracked.

(Sorry, had to edit several times as couldn't link the blog initially)
                      it is looking great, interesting stories.
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Thanks Carolyn
                        Bubblebelle x

Comment

It’s looking great and you can see the effort you have put in, plus some interesting stories makes for good reading

Comment

Well, I need to catch up on some of the updates, but I have had a bit of a disaster involving a mug of coffee and my laptop. Fortunately I did add a new story just before disaster struck.

This is the story of one of the sisters of my 2xGreat Grandmother, who married aged 14/15. Julie, Darksecretz reminded me of her after a query in the research forums. A slight departure in the writing of this blog post to incorporate some of the actual events that Margaret is likely to have witnessed.
                            Bubblebelle x

Comment

wow - you have some info on them, very interesting.

I hope that you can sort the laptop.
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                                wow - you have some info on them, very interesting.

I hope that you can sort the laptop.
                                Thank you, yes I do appear to have found quite a diverse set of ancestors.

Have had to buy a new laptop although the other is not completely terminal. I have already spent hours transferring files.
                                Bubblebelle x

Comment

Another laptop tragedy, I hope all your info was backed up safely

Comment

Working...
                                  X