Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Week 11 (Mar. 15-21): Flowers

​​

Spring isn't far off for those of us in the northern hemisphere, and with that comes thoughts of flowers — which, not coincidentally, is this week's theme!
    Any Roses, Daisys, or Petunias in the family?
    What about a family member who had a real green thumb?
    Be creative with this theme!
    Amy Johnson Crow
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

The last garden that my mother worked on - do you recognize what she was accomplishing?

ForestGlenGardenFace2013.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
      The last garden that my mother worked on - do you recognize what she was accomplishing?

ForestGlenGardenFace2013.jpg
      Is it a face? It's really pretty anyway.
      Caroline
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

A smiley face with yellow/corn blonde hair?

Comment

No flowery names in my family that I have come across so far.
          There was however an old woman came to live with us when I was small. She was referred to as “Great Aunt Rose”. I always wondered who she really was. I found out a few years ago from my godmother aunt that she was no relation at all on either side. She was just somebody that my parents took in and my aunt herself doesn’t know she was or why they took her in. I used to steer well clear of her as she was a bad tempered old so and so who often tried to clatter me on the legs with her walking stick if I went past her. Then one day, she was gone. Presumably she had died but whether she died in hospital or in the house and everything was kept hidden from me, I’ll never know.
          As for green fingers - Daddy was originally trained as a gardener in the parks of Manchester. His garden was his pride and joy. Flowers, fruit or veg, no matter which, he just loved growing things.
          Last edited by GallowayLass; 14-03-22, 17:44.

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post

Is it a face? It's really pretty anyway.
            Yes, a face - with the fire hydrant as the nose. Goldilocks, with a big toothy smile and blue eyes

My father's mother was a gardener, and with her father-in-law, kept a Victory Garden during WWII. I suspect my mother's mother did too (she gardened), but I didn't hear that discussion.
            Last edited by PhotoFamily; 14-03-22, 20:29.

Comment

PhotoFamily what a lovely idea for a garden!

No flowery names in my immediate tree, although I have some Roses in more distant branches. My father was head gardener at a local chest hospital (formerly a sanatorium). The grounds spread over 40 acres, had many flower gardens, greenhouses and orchards. There was an annual summer fete where the gardening stall was the biggest attraction, selling various potted and bedding plants. Aunts and uncles would regularly visit us specifically to see dad's greenhouses and gardens; they would always go home with cuttings and plants. He truly had a green thumb.
              Jenny

Comment

Originally posted by jenoco View Post
                PhotoFamily what a lovely idea for a garden!

No flowery names in my immediate tree, although I have some Roses in more distant branches. My father was head gardener at a local chest hospital (formerly a sanatorium). The grounds spread over 40 acres, had many flower gardens, greenhouses and orchards. There was an annual summer fete where the gardening stall was the biggest attraction, selling various potted and bedding plants. Aunts and uncles would regularly visit us specifically to see dad's greenhouses and gardens; they would always go home with cuttings and plants. He truly had a green thumb.
                I've been doing some work on updating the magazine lately and worked on this one the day before I posted this thread!!
                Caroline

Comment

An inspirational woman

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post

I've been doing some work on updating the magazine lately and worked on this one the day before I posted this thread!!
                    I thought about posting about her on the 'My ancestor was a doctor' but she's no relation to me. Certainly an amazing woman for her time.
                    Jenny

Comment

Originally posted by jenoco View Post

I thought about posting about her on the 'My ancestor was a doctor' but she's no relation to me. Certainly an amazing woman for her time.
                      Please feel free to add her even if she's not related, I'm sure it will be of interest to many.

Comment

Working...
                      X