Week 31 (Aug. 2-8): Favourite Name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Week 31 (Aug. 2-8): Favourite Name

People sometime ridicule celebrities for the "unusual" names they choose for their children.
    Clearly, they haven't looked at some ancestral names, like "Strange Powers" or "Preserved Fish."
    Whose name in your family tree makes you smile?
    (Of course, feel free to interpret this theme however you'd like!)
    Amy Johnson Crow

I have a family of Diddlesfolds. I also have The Simpsons and the Adams family.
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Love the name 'Diddlesfold' so much so that I had to 'google' the name, came up with Diddlesfold Manor Farm and came across interesting estate agent amalgamations!

I could not think of any distinctive names, I do have a couple of christian named 'Friends' and a number of those named after church ministers, eg Spurgeon.
    But I have some ladies with, what I consider, nice combination of names such as my Granny, Alice Esther Emma, another is Catherine Sophia Lissa, but I have already written her story, so this week I have written about Eugenie Maria Mary Creton Jay, an impressive name, from an interesting family with a story of her own.

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks: Week 31. Favourite Name. (mypynthdev.blogspot.com)
    Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

Modesty Locksmith
      Napoleon Bonaparte Money
      Parthenia Spruce

and from my ex's tree Onesipherous Mullins.
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
        Modesty Locksmith
        Napoleon Bonaparte Money
        Parthenia Spruce

and from my ex's tree Onesipherous Mullins.
        Please tell me she was a chastity belt maker. Great names!
        Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

Jubilee George Attewell. He was born during George III's golden Jubilee year. For that year all the boys born in the village were named Jubilee George and all the girls Jubilee Charlotte.
          Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Originally posted by bubblebelle View Post

Please tell me she was a chastity belt maker. Great names!
            I don't think she was, sadly. She sounds like a regency romantic heroine!
            Great names, but I have my share of William Williams and the like!
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

My favourite name is German Waterfall. Born Derbyshire died Nottingham

Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

i do have many unusal names in my tree: orpheus and cephas (brothers), fanny poppleton (always makes me smile), remmer, dancer (middle name), septimus and augusta (siblings), oakley briggs (1 record has been transscribed as twigs which i thought funny and linked to a tree), thurlow (is a place but was also where he was born), valentine, bithynyia (no idea on name as only found 1 record of her), dolphin (middle name and surname), McAlister, squire (1st name), thomanson (was female), horace violet (female), clement/clemett (was a surname used as middle name on many), elderfine, major (1st name)

theres also a few linked to "disney characters" - cinderella, hercules, elsa, belle (was bella but transcribed wrong), king (was 1st name), minnie, daisy, sophia (fairly new disney princess)

Many of these names were common place back in their time and not unusual - they might well think some of our modern names are unusual. However, none of these are my favourite name, that can be found here: https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspo...rite-name.html
                **no point asking the living for help as the dead are more helpful!!!**

https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by yummy-mummy-amy View Post
                  . However, none of these are my favourite name, that can be found here: https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspo...rite-name.html
                  I was thinking back to my 30 odd years working with older adults, so we are talking about ladies circa 1900 onwards and I cannot recall more than 1 or 2 ladies of that name I have nursed. Maybe it's a regional thing, but of course this is a popular retirement area from elsewhere, or it's a name associated with a healthy constitution.
                  Bubblebelle x

Comment

Working...
                  X