• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Week 28 (July 12-18): Transportation

Transportation

noun
    1. 1.
      the action of transporting someone or something or the process of being transported.
    2. 2.
      HISTORICAL
      the action or practice of transporting convicts to a penal colony.
    As the daughter of a service station owner, I grew up around cars and developed an appreciation for them.
    Whether it's planes, trains, or automobiles (or canal boats, or steamships, or... ), think about transportation and how it affected an ancestor.
    Did canals open up markets for crops?
    Did railways offer job opportunities?
    Amy Johnson Crow
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

This week I have written a post related to my Great Grandfather, when he was aboard a paddlesteamer which came of worst when it was racing against a fellow steamer.

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks: Week 28. Transportation. (mypynthdev.blogspot.com)
    Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by bubblebelle View Post
      This week I have written a post related to my Great Grandfather, when he was aboard a paddlesteamer which came of worst when it was racing against a fellow steamer.

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks: Week 28. Transportation. (mypynthdev.blogspot.com)
      that is journal is a lovely thing, What a great story.

We went around the little museum under the pier in Southend and there were stories about boats crashing into the pier. Museum was a little 'dry' but they had a wealth of info there.
      Last edited by cbcarolyn; 13-07-21, 19:32.
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read the post. Yes I am so fortunate to have been sent a copy of his memoirs/journal, it has a wealth of social history insights. Local museums can be a wealth of information. Ilfracombe museum is a good one to visit.
        Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

You have some really interesting relations!
          Caroline
          Caroline's Family History Pages
          Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

i took transport and changed it to transportation/transported of ancestors via ship to another country. https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspo...portation.html
            **no point asking the living for help as the dead are more helpful!!!**

https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
            X