Week 21 (May 24-30): At the Cemetery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Week 21 (May 24-30): At the Cemetery

I'll admit it. I'm addicted to going to cemeteries. (I feel safe admitting that here!) Cemeteries are such special places; I feel drawn even to those where I don't have any ancestors buried. Which cemetery is special in your family's history? Do you have a story about "visiting" a special relative?
    Amy Johnson Crow
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

There's a lovely cemetery that's near where my father lives - I'll go sometimes for a "quick" walk if I have a small amount time but want to get some steps in. And there are deer that wander there.

But it's almost useless for getting my steps! I'll see a marker, stop to read it, wonder what the story behind it is, wonder if anyone has posted it on FindAGrave for descendants to find.

Comment

Thank you Caroline

This week was a relatively easy blog post to write. Tombstone tourist or Taphophile? Yes, there is a posh name for someone who enjoys visiting cemeteries.

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks: Week 21: At the cemetery (mypynthdev.blogspot.com)
      Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

I
        Originally posted by bubblebelle View Post
        Thank you Caroline

This week was a relatively easy blog post to write. Tombstone tourist or Taphophile? Yes, there is a posh name for someone who enjoys visiting cemeteries.

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks: Week 21: At the cemetery (mypynthdev.blogspot.com)
        I can see why, that's really interesting! I had no idea there was a name for it, though I guess there is a name for everything.

We lived in Hong Kong briefly and I was fascinated by their ceremonies and then the Belgians who filled the cemeteries with colourful chrysanthemums on All Saint day,

I'm not sure that falling over my great grandfather's until then unknown second wife is enough for a whole blog but it's on my list to do.
        Caroline
        Caroline's Family History Pages
        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
          I

I can see why, that's really interesting! I had no idea there was a name for it, though I guess there is a name for everything.

We lived in Hong Kong briefly and I was fascinated by their ceremonies and then the Belgians who filled the cemeteries with colourful chrysanthemums on All Saint day,

I'm not sure that falling over my great grandfather's until then unknown second wife is enough for a whole blog but it's on my list to do.
          Obviously she was wanting to remember herself to you

I didn't know that about Belgium, all these different customs and beliefs are fascinating in their own right
          Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

i didn't know there was a name for it either. my cemetery - https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspo...-cemetery.html
            **no point asking the living for help as the dead are more helpful!!!**

https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
            X