Week 16 (Apr. 19-25): DNA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Week 16 (Apr. 19-25): DNA

It's amazing how three letters could so completely change the field of genealogy. What's a discovery you've made with DNA? What about a brick wall that DNA might help break down?
    Amy Johnson Crow
    DNA Research
    Using Genetic Genealogy to support your paper-based genealogy (members only).
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Really struggling to think what to write this week.
    Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

I have one which I wrote a while back for my site, which probably nobody read, that can be updated, especially as I have now been through my mum's programmes and photo collection from the time.

If you've not done your DNA maybe you could write about what you might find or which brickwall could be demolished?
      Caroline
      Caroline's Family History Pages
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Thanks Caroline. I may get some inspiration eventually.
        Well at least one person has read your DNA blog. It is interesting as I think a while ago you had your name interests at the bottom of your posts and there was the name Gillet/t and you have now written about Larkham. They are both family names I recognise from the village I grew up in although I cannot recall their spellings. Gillet/t was the butcher and Larkham had a small general stores and they also lived in the house 'The Grange.' The door of which was just ripe for Knock down Ginger on our way home from school. Poor people.
        The village was in Berkshire so perhaps not so strange as I note your families link to Surrey.
        Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

bubblebelle What’s Knock down Ginger?

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
            bubblebelle What’s Knock down Ginger?
            Knock on the door then run away before it is answered.
            Bubblebelle x

Comment

Originally posted by bubblebelle View Post

Knock on the door then run away before it is answered.
              Ah! Chappy. (to knock on something in Scots is to chap).
              ADD - just to confuse things further LOL us Scots refer to fizzy drinks in a bottle (any old flavour) as ginger

Comment

I have found DNA to be very useful when tracing a line of a common surname. Mitchell in London, Thomas in Cornwall. My g'g'grandfather Mitchell was, unfortunately, born in 1834, so no CivReg record. It seems his parents were not married, tho they lived as such, until 1856 - apparently his first wife had died, allowing the marriage. But they were lackadaisical at getting the kids baptized, so was that really my ancestor getting baptized in 1844 with a bunch of other kids in the family? DNA matches make it a reasonable conclusion.

And there are so many William Thomases in Camborne, Cornwall - was the marriage of Thomas to Lethlean really the right one? Then along came a good Lethlean match. Seems reasonable!

Comment

Well after a lot of writing then deleting I have finally cobbled something together. Thanks Caroline for the idea re subject.

52 Ancestors, 52 Weeks: Week 16. DNA (mypynthdev.blogspot.com)
                  Bubblebelle x

Comment

Working...
                  X