Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Week 50 (Dec. 9-15): Witness to History

Week 50's theme is "Witness to History."

It's important to put our ancestors in context with their time and surroundings.
    hat would your ancestor have witnessed?
    I encourage you to think beyond the "big events."
    I think about my farming ancestors and the changes they would have seen in equipment and getting their crops to market.
    Amy Johnson Crow
    Family Tree Forum Timeline
    6 of the most catastrophic weather events in British history

Farmer's Almanac (USA)

15 Most Important Historical Events That Changed The World Forever

24 Facts About Events That Changed Humanity
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Here is my moment in History and why its important to place your ancestors in social and historical context and also the importance for us all to have dreams......

Welcome to Week 50 of my Genealogy challenge, from the wonderful Amy Johnson Crow, of writing something about your Ancestors for a whole year, #52Ancestors in 52 weeks. This week’s prompt is …

I have not missed a week yet!!!
    My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Comment

Originally posted by Paulc View Post
      Here is my moment in History and why its important to place your ancestors in social and historical context and also the importance for us all to have dreams......

Welcome to Week 50 of my Genealogy challenge, from the wonderful Amy Johnson Crow, of writing something about your Ancestors for a whole year, #52Ancestors in 52 weeks. This week’s prompt is …

I have not missed a week yet!!!
      It's been a good way to fill up one's blog!! I've completed some, started several others and have ideas for most of the rest so will finish them when I have the time.
      Rather dispiriting though as hardly anyone reads them so I am basically writing for me and my brother as always - maybe I should do something more about promoting my site.
      Caroline
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I do work hard at promoting my site, it does pay off and I also follow a lot of genealogy based blogs as well

Comment

Originally posted by Paulc View Post
          I do work hard at promoting my site, it does pay off and I also follow a lot of genealogy based blogs as well
          I think the trouble is, I am too shy and reluctant to blow my own trumpet. I almost assume nobody will want to read it anyway, but if they don't know it exists they can't read it!!

When I first started my site, way back in 2006, you needed to apply to join all the other blogs and there were few UK based ones then. They all seemed to be in rings and gave each other prizes and it appeared like a closed shop so I just kept it for me and my mum and anybody who fell over it on google. It still can feel like a closed community in some ways so it must be daunting for anyone just starting out even though the genealogy community is generally very friendly and supportive.

That was why I started this part of the forum to give everybody else a place to have a go or a spark some ideas.

I only use Twitter to advertise new things. I see that you have it set up to re-post stuff so I need to do that with the plugin I use.

If I can work out how to make a subscribe button I shall follow your test with interest.
          Caroline

Comment

I think you just have to keep chipping away at it. I never ever dreamed that anybody would ever be interested in anything that I wrote, I am still surprised today. I do work hard posting my blog on various sites and platforms, it’s a fine line, without appearing to be spamming.

I use wiki tree now, rootschat, Reddit and will be giving Pinterest a go next year. Obviously the writers shed and twitter are my biggest platforms.

I also follow lots of bloggers and Genealogists and try to promote others if I can.

i use buffer to schedule tweets and posts when I’m not around or maybe a weekly blog to promote things. Buffer is a really good tool.

Eventually I might have a working subscribe button that works for everyone!

Comment

Working...
            X