X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Week 44 (Oct. 28-Nov. 3): Scary Stuff

Any ghost stories in your family lore?
    Any relatives live in a haunted house?
    Of course, you don't have to go with ghosts for the theme.
    Amy Johnson Crow

This week's earworm.

And as a bonus, a full length episode.

Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Welcome to Week 44 of my Genealogy challenge, from the wonderful Amy Johnson Crow, of writing something about your Ancestors for a whole year, #52Ancestors in 52 weeks. This week’s prompt is …
    My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Comment

My paternal gran had an uncanny ability to known what was going to happen or had happened to far flung family so any letters of bad news were no big surprise to her. She also seemed to be able to see right inside you. You were never sure if she was looking at you or through you. We were very close and the biggest scare I have ever had was her appearing outside my bedroom window the day she died. Just a very quick glimpse but it was definitely her. She died in Manchester and I was in Aberdeen. It freaked me out as my student bedroom was on the second floor of a hall of residence. I slept the next few nights on the floor of a friend’s room in a different block. When I phoned home that weekend, I already knew that Mum was going to tell me that Gran had died.
      I the cottage I used to live in, I was so sure that I could feel a presence in the living room right from when we moved in. After a couple of months, I did see an old woman once sitting in a rocking chair in the corner of the room. There was no bad feeling though and I never saw her again. In fact the feeling of someone being there stopped once I had seen her. A couple of years later, I was chatting with the woman whose house it had once been. She had sold it to the couple we bought it from. It had been her family home. I told her about the woman in the rocking chair and she asked me to describe her which I did. She said “that was my Auntie Emm. It had really been her house and she left it to me. She must have been hanging about to make sure you were going to look after the place properly”. I did actually love that cottage and was very sorry to have to sell it many years later. I always felt safe there on my own even in the dark nights of winter.
      I’d rather not have had these two experiences and I tend to totally avoid anything by way of a spooky or occult nature. I don’t even like being in graveyards in daylight. Not very handy given my interest in family history LOL

Comment

Thanks for sharing your spooky and scary story. A few times when we have stayed in old country cottages on holiday we have heard noises or felt a “presence”, but it might be just because a cottage is old it has that feel about it.
        My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Comment

Working...
        X