Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• so far behind

hi all,
    i was doing soooo well with the 52 ancestors and then my laptop crashed and i pretty much lost everything. i have finally got some softwear that seems to be recovering data from it (slowly), however, this has meant that i dont have access to any of my scanned photos to add to the stories. I'm hoping to catch up soon.
    Amy
    **no point asking the living for help as the dead are more helpful!!!**

https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspot.com/

Oh, what a shame! I had hoped that you weren't ill but maybe this is worse.
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Oh no disaster. When my PC crashed I took out hard drive and just used as an external drive, is the lap top working again? but you just can't access some of the hard drive?
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I had half an hour to spend in Felpham today, so I went over and got the pictures of Blake's cottage for yummy-mummy-amy at long last!!

The first photo is on the beach, the last is of The Fox, the pub opposite where he lived. I can get a better one of The Fox another day but there were camera shy people right where I wanted do take the picture of the front door etc.!!

Caroline
        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Lovely building.

Comment

hi all,

no the hard drive is totally dead and the laptop wont accept another one, so its killed it totally. haad to buy a new one. the hard drive is with a friend who works in IT in the hope it can be recovered but at the moment it gets to about 30% and then says cant recover. :( thank you caroline for the pics.

Comment

Originally posted by yummy-mummy-amy View Post
              hi all,

no the hard drive is totally dead and the laptop wont accept another one, so its killed it totally. haad to buy a new one. the hard drive is with a friend who works in IT in the hope it can be recovered but at the moment it gets to about 30% and then says cant recover. :( thank you caroline for the pics.
              Oh rude words!! At least your writing is safe as it is online.

BTW "The Fox" is a casualty of lockdown/brewery raising the rent and has had to close.
              Caroline

Comment

is your friend just playing it on a hard drive player? no need to 'recover' it

this is what I bought - and I just put the hard drive in it
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                  is your friend just playing it on a hard drive player? no need to 'recover' it

this is what I bought - and I just put the hard drive in it
                  https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                  I have one of those from when my Dell PC died. Parts of the drive are inaccessible but I was lucky that I could get at most of the saved files.
                  Caroline

Comment

Hi Amy, thats such a tragic loss had you backed everything up?
                    My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Comment

Originally posted by Paulc View Post
                      Hi Amy, thats such a tragic loss had you backed everything up?
                      hi,
                      yes it was all backed up BUT it was in the process re-backing up when it died and its taken the external drive with it as well. I had a similar to the above item mentioned pocket/travel size and it wouldnt do anything. It still isnt recovered my friend has got it to just over 50% before it says cant access it and files it has found havent been recovered as need get to end of recovery to do it. My friend isnt giving up, hes 99% certain he can recover it just needs to find a programme it likes. He said the external could work with just a new casing and cables.

I have almost caught up on the 52 ancestors on my blog, i think i'm about 4 down, but dasly many are now just stories and no pictures.

Comment

How frustrating for you Amy, but fingers crossed for you that your friend can recover the majority of your files. Glad to hear that you have been able to catch up as well, you can always add the pictures at a later date.

Comment

hi,
                          yes it was all backed up BUT it was in the process re-backing up when it died and its taken the external drive with it as well. I had a similar to the above item mentioned pocket/travel size and it wouldnt do anything. It still isnt recovered my friend has got it to just over 50% before it says cant access it and files it has found havent been recovered as need get to end of recovery to do it. My friend isnt giving up, hes 99% certain he can recover it just needs to find a programme it likes. He said the external could work with just a new casing and cables.

I have almost caught up on the 52 ancestors on my blog, i think i'm about 4 down, but dasly many are now just stories and no pictures.
                          Well done for keeping the writing going!

I am puzzled how your friend is trying to rescue your files. The machines which cbcarolyn and I use doesn't' need any software, you just stick it in the correct size slot and explore it on Window explorer (Libraries) like any other drive to get at jist the files, you aren't needing to recover the whole thing.. Of course if the sector where your pictures are is kaput he won't be able to do anything, maybe that's what he means..
                          Caroline

Comment

at least by writing you had that already held externally so that was good.

I just couldn't get motivated on my family, I must return to some writing, new new start maybe!
                            Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Comment

well i managed to get all of them finished and onto my blog, may not have got them all on here or amy johnson-crows page and they may not have photos. and despite loosing most of my stuff and not wanting to do it, i did!!!

Comment

well i managed to get all of them finished and onto my blog, may not have got them all on here or amy johnson-crows page and they may not have photos. and despite loosing most of my stuff and not wanting to do it, i did!!!
                                Brilliant!! You can tart them up later at your leisure. Are you planning to carry on next year?

52-520523_clip-art-applause-emoji-transparent-clap-hand-emoji.png
                                Caroline

Comment

hi,
                                  yes going to do it again next year, and even if i hit a problem not going to "sulk and stop" lol.

Comment

Even if you only manage one post a month its one more post than you had before!! Good luck Amy

Comment

Working...
                                    X