Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gardengirl
    replied
    I suppose because I knew the story already I never bothered to get a death certificate for Louisa. When I was writing up her story recently I thought I should order it just for completeness really. And now I’m glad that I did as, although it tells me nothing new, it is worded in a way that makes it interesting. I wonder how I would have felt if I had ordered the certificate before I knew the rest of the story.
    F64F0AD0-C4A0-455E-8BA5-7EF408A143BF.jpeg

Leave a comment:

• Gardengirl
    replied
    Originally posted by Caroline View Post

What a sad story, but how lucky to have been able to find out so much! And it shows how putting names out there might make a link, so here's one to try!!

I have a Sophia Caesar married to James Elkins (my 2nd cousin 5x removed) in 1847 Wrecclesham .... she died in 1849.
    Sophia doesn't appear to be in my tree..... Yet!

Leave a comment:

• Gardengirl
    replied
    Thanks, Kat, but I already have that information. Ruby was my grandmother and the photo of the children came from my great aunt Daisy's shoebox. I think my first task to solve the question is to decide when the photo was taken then see if I can find a set of children that matches the sex and approximate ages of the ones in the photo. The Caesar's had a lot of cousins in Surrey and I wondered if some had come to visit. I'm trying to look for reasons why the photo was taken too - it was no small thing to have pictures taken in those days.

Leave a comment:

• Katarzyna
    replied
    "I wonder who those children are?"
    There are 3 households at no 25 for 1901 - the Caesars are one of them plus 2 families of Webbs:

1901 census - 25 Cumberland St, Pimlico

Frederick C Caesor Head Married Male 33 1868 Tailor St Giles, Middlesex, England
    Lydia L Caesor Wife Married Female 36 1865 Tailoress Somers Town, Middlesex, England
    Daisy G Caesor Daughter - Female 14 1887 - Clapham, Surrey, England
    Ruby L Caesor Daughter - Female 12 1889 - Battersea, Middlesex, England
    Frederick J A Caesor Son - Male 8 1893 - St James's, London, England
    Percy J E Caesor Son - Male 2 1899 - Pimlico, Middlesex, England
    Louisa E Caesor Mother Widow Female 68 1833 - London, Middlesex, England

Leave a comment:

• Gardengirl
    replied
    That name rings a bell, Caroline. I'll have a look later and let you know.

Leave a comment:

• Caroline
    replied
    Originally posted by Gardengirl View Post
    Part Two is now done. It didn't take so long this time because I had written it up years ago for a West Surrey FHS display so I just had to tweak it a bit and add some images. https://ourpaststories.weebly.com/
    What a sad story, but how lucky to have been able to find out so much! And it shows how putting names out there might make a link, so here's one to try!!

I have a Sophia Caesar married to James Elkins (my 2nd cousin 5x removed) in 1847 Wrecclesham .... she died in 1849.

Leave a comment:

• Gardengirl
    replied
    Part Two is now done. It didn't take so long this time because I had written it up years ago for a West Surrey FHS display so I just had to tweak it a bit and add some images. https://ourpaststories.weebly.com/

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    Thank you, I'm pleased that you enjoyed it. It's hard to write something that is interesting to people who are not actually fascinated with your branch of the family
    I think if you have some interesting images it brings it to life.

Leave a comment:

• Lin Fisher
    replied
    What a lovely story and love the certificate. You have done a lot of research and taking photos.

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Gardengirl
    replied
    Thank you, I'm pleased that you enjoyed it. It's hard to write something that is interesting to people who are not actually fascinated with your branch of the family

Leave a comment:

• Paulc
    replied
    Wonderful story, really enjoyed reading it and thoroughly well researched, some wonderful pictures as well, which always adds to the story. Lovely framed certificate what a treasure to have something like that

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    very interesting. How lovely that you still have the certificate.

Leave a comment:

• Gardengirl
    replied
    Were any of your people involved in cricket? I have a book by Graham Collyer called Farnham Cricket Club 1782-1982 which has lots of names and 20th C photos of teams.

Leave a comment:

• Caroline
    replied
    That Farnham Buildings and People book looks good. They have it on Amazon and ebay. Do you think it is worth getting?
    I found it really useful - I got another one, Victorian farnham by Ewbank Smith to go with it. Even if your own names don't figure they give a very good idea of Farnham at the time.

Leave a comment:

• Gardengirl
    replied
    I've just had a quick look and the William Ireson that I have was married to Mary Ann Beldham in 1827. He's a twig on a side branch so that's really all I know about him at the moment.
    Stovold rings a bell too, but I don't think I have any in my tree. Maybe I have just come across the name in my reading about the area.

Leave a comment:

• Caroline
    replied
    Thank you, Caroline. That looks like a bit of treasure worth pursuing. I notice the name William Ireson on that map, he's definitely a name on my tree somewhere. I have lots of family from Farnham, Tilford and Wrecclesham and I'm sure they all needed bread and confectionery so probably did know your people.
    Under the map it says:
    13 Abbey Street (demolished)
    Here was The Bricklayer's Arms. A pub of this name existed in the 1830s under the ownership of William Ireson. Its licence was transferred to a new building in Weydon Lane c, 1939, the old house being demolished in 1954.

My Elkins ancestors were blacksmiths/gunsmiths in Wrecclesham, other main local names are Taphouse, Stovold, Hudson and Hart.

Leave a comment:

• Gardengirl
    replied
    Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
    What a lovely tribute to William from the Coach Maker's Society and how wonderful to have such a fantatic shoebox of memories to dip into. We have very few mementos but alot of photos - most of which are unattributed.
    I think I must come from a long line of collectors and hoarders so I am lucky to have all kinds of treasures to sift through.

Leave a comment:

• Gardengirl
    replied
    That Farnham Buildings and People book looks good. They have it on Amazon and ebay. Do you think it is worth getting?

Leave a comment:

• Katarzyna
    replied
    What a lovely tribute to William from the Coach Maker's Society and how wonderful to have such a fantatic shoebox of memories to dip into. We have very few mementos but alot of photos - most of which are unattributed.

Leave a comment:

• Gardengirl
    replied
    Thank you, Caroline. That looks like a bit of treasure worth pursuing. I notice the name William Ireson on that map, he's definitely a name on my tree somewhere. I have lots of family from Farnham, Tilford and Wrecclesham and I'm sure they all needed bread and confectionery so probably did know your people.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X