Louisa's Story (in two parts)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Louisa's Story (in two parts)

I wasn't sure where to post this but I have finally finished writing Part 1 of my next family story. It doesn't really fit any one of the 52 weeks project titles and I've lost track of which week I'm in anyway!

Feedback about 'readability' would be much appreciated - it's difficult to be objective when you've been working on it for weeks

This is the story of Thomas and Catherine, our mother’s maternal grandparents. It is a tale of two people who travel across the world to look for a new life in Australia in the late 19th...
    Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

I think it should have a thread of its own - so I've made it into one.
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I enjoyed reading the story but I got bit distracted trying to match your picture of the churchyard with my picture taken going away from the church! I love reading about other people's families who may have known mine. https://lewcock.net/baker-of-farnham/ - this is an old page waiting for making into a more interesting story!!)
      Caroline
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I've got a picture you might be interested in.

This is from Buildings and People by Nigel Temple. I had a look at the tithe map of Farnham on The Genealogist and Frederick was the tenant of Charles Wills.

They are in plots 344 and 345 listed as Frederick Smith and others. I can't post the map or anything as it is against their Ts and Cs.
        Caroline

Comment

Thank you, Caroline. That looks like a bit of treasure worth pursuing. I notice the name William Ireson on that map, he's definitely a name on my tree somewhere. I have lots of family from Farnham, Tilford and Wrecclesham and I'm sure they all needed bread and confectionery so probably did know your people.
          Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

What a lovely tribute to William from the Coach Maker's Society and how wonderful to have such a fantatic shoebox of memories to dip into. We have very few mementos but alot of photos - most of which are unattributed.
            Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

That Farnham Buildings and People book looks good. They have it on Amazon and ebay. Do you think it is worth getting?

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                What a lovely tribute to William from the Coach Maker's Society and how wonderful to have such a fantatic shoebox of memories to dip into. We have very few mementos but alot of photos - most of which are unattributed.
                I think I must come from a long line of collectors and hoarders so I am lucky to have all kinds of treasures to sift through.

Comment

Originally posted by Gardengirl View Post
                  Thank you, Caroline. That looks like a bit of treasure worth pursuing. I notice the name William Ireson on that map, he's definitely a name on my tree somewhere. I have lots of family from Farnham, Tilford and Wrecclesham and I'm sure they all needed bread and confectionery so probably did know your people.
                  Under the map it says:
                  13 Abbey Street (demolished)
                  Here was The Bricklayer's Arms. A pub of this name existed in the 1830s under the ownership of William Ireson. Its licence was transferred to a new building in Weydon Lane c, 1939, the old house being demolished in 1954.

My Elkins ancestors were blacksmiths/gunsmiths in Wrecclesham, other main local names are Taphouse, Stovold, Hudson and Hart.
                  Caroline

Comment

I've just had a quick look and the William Ireson that I have was married to Mary Ann Beldham in 1827. He's a twig on a side branch so that's really all I know about him at the moment.
                    Stovold rings a bell too, but I don't think I have any in my tree. Maybe I have just come across the name in my reading about the area.

Comment

That Farnham Buildings and People book looks good. They have it on Amazon and ebay. Do you think it is worth getting?
                      I found it really useful - I got another one, Victorian farnham by Ewbank Smith to go with it. Even if your own names don't figure they give a very good idea of Farnham at the time.
                      Caroline

Comment

Were any of your people involved in cricket? I have a book by Graham Collyer called Farnham Cricket Club 1782-1982 which has lots of names and 20th C photos of teams.

Comment

very interesting. How lovely that you still have the certificate.
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Wonderful story, really enjoyed reading it and thoroughly well researched, some wonderful pictures as well, which always adds to the story. Lovely framed certificate what a treasure to have something like that
                            My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Comment

Thank you, I'm pleased that you enjoyed it. It's hard to write something that is interesting to people who are not actually fascinated with your branch of the family

Comment

What a lovely story and love the certificate. You have done a lot of research and taking photos.

Thanks
                                Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Thank you, I'm pleased that you enjoyed it. It's hard to write something that is interesting to people who are not actually fascinated with your branch of the family
                                  I think if you have some interesting images it brings it to life.
                                  Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                                  Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Part Two is now done. It didn't take so long this time because I had written it up years ago for a West Surrey FHS display so I just had to tweak it a bit and add some images. https://ourpaststories.weebly.com/

Comment

Part Two is now done. It didn't take so long this time because I had written it up years ago for a West Surrey FHS display so I just had to tweak it a bit and add some images. https://ourpaststories.weebly.com/
                                      What a sad story, but how lucky to have been able to find out so much! And it shows how putting names out there might make a link, so here's one to try!!

I have a Sophia Caesar married to James Elkins (my 2nd cousin 5x removed) in 1847 Wrecclesham .... she died in 1849.
                                      Caroline

Comment

That name rings a bell, Caroline. I'll have a look later and let you know.

Comment

Working...
                                        X