Week 9 (Feb. 26-Mar. 3): Disaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Week 9 (Feb. 26-Mar. 3): Disaster

Please add your inks for this week's prompt to this thread.

I always think of Kipling's poem when I hear the word disaster, maybe some ideas might strike you in that:

If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster

And treat those two impostors just the same;

He goes on to explain why he likes the poem.
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Week 9's theme is "Disaster." Our ancestors faced any number of disasters — natural, personal, financial. Perhaps you've had a disaster in your research. How did they (or you) overcome it? (Or maybe they didn't?)

i am absoltely stuck for this weeks theme. even with the above hint from Amy JOhnson Crow!
    **no point asking the living for help as the dead are more helpful!!!**

https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thesaurus.com is the world’s largest and most trusted online thesaurus for 25+ years. Join millions of people and grow your mastery of the English language.
      Caroline
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

stumped too.....
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Disaster for my family - the effect that the Corn Laws, Land Inclosures and The Napoleonic Wars in the late 1700s to 1840s had on them ie death and workhouses.
          Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Maybe somebody was affected by a Cholera epidemic? https://www.thegazette.co.uk/all-notices/content/100519

https://digital.nls.uk/scotlandspage...line/1848.html - my great x3 grandfather died in that one.

My Scottish potters left Glasgow when the potteries were closing down. Ended up in London ....

Factories opening meant weavers and spinners might be out of work.

Any Irish affected by the Potato Famine?

Any miners at the time of a mine disaster even if they weren't involved?

Railway accidents?

Disaster at sea?

Flooding:

Actually I am lucky because every time I search for Lewcock in newspapers I get full reports of a gunpowder explosion. Not my direct line but a distant twig.
            Caroline

Comment

A disaster for my OH's great-great-grandmother and her surviving children in 1832. The youngest child was a baby. They lived at Whitby, North Yorkshire, where her husband Charles was a gunsmith and also ran a public house on his premises. In June he travelled by ship to London, where he died. For many years it appeared he had disappeared off the face of the earth, as we couldn't find his burial, but his aunt's will confirmed he had died. Then we found this on Google Books describing his death from cholera (not for the faint-hearted):

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...street&f=false

Elizabeth
              Research Interests:
              England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
              Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Herts View Post
                A disaster for my OH's great-great-grandmother and her surviving children in 1832. The youngest child was a baby. They lived at Whitby, North Yorkshire, where her husband Charles was a gunsmith and also ran a public house on his premises. In June he travelled by ship to London, where he died. For many years it appeared he had disappeared off the face of the earth, as we couldn't find his burial, but his aunt's will confirmed he had died. Then we found this on Google Books describing his death from cholera (not for the faint-hearted):

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...street&f=false
                What a find!! I hope Alex Whitehill's death was less horrific.
                Caroline

Comment

Caroline, it was a huge shock when we first read it. Unfortunately there were other cholera deaths in my own lineage. There was a cholera outbreak in London in 1854. My great-great-grandmother Eliza (maiden name Jeffcoat) was married to James Penfold Brewer and they had three small children. James succumbed to cholera on 31st August, aged 30. They lived in Battersea. Then, on 6th September, her mother Ann died from cholera in Knightsbridge at the home of one of her children. Her husband Daniel died on 18th October, reportedly from anemia, but I suspect he too was weakened by cholera. The all lived in good conditions for the time, showing that cholera affected everyone.
                  Elizabeth
                  Research Interests:
                  England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                  Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

finallly getting somewhere witht his weeks theme, just when i was loosing hope i get a hint on ancestry linked to a newspaper article someone had shared linkked to a relative and his death. ive looked it up and with help with details of it and it matches in with info i had linked to his career. so just need get to work on it now.

Comment

Originally posted by yummy-mummy-amy View Post
                      finallly getting somewhere witht his weeks theme, just when i was loosing hope i get a hint on ancestry linked to a newspaper article someone had shared linkked to a relative and his death. ive looked it up and with help with details of it and it matches in with info i had linked to his career. so just need get to work on it now.
                      I wondered if it might be your disaster story we were helping out with.
                      Caroline

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post

I wondered if it might be your disaster story we were helping out with.
                        yes. just as i was giving up the ancestry hint came through - i know they are not always correct, but this was and came at the right time as well. i will add article later

Comment

here we are the "disaster" story https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspo...-disaster.html

Comment

Originally posted by yummy-mummy-amy View Post
                            That's an interesting story and how fortunate to get the hint when you did.

I noticed that you had asked about the newspaper in two forums, maybe next time if you need help, which you will always get, you could just warn us that other people might be looking elsewhere as it took us a long time to find it here between us and it might already have been located in the other forum. (and we could have been using the time in writing our own stories!! )
                            Caroline

Comment

That is an interesting story and reminded me of something that befell my g.g.grandmother in 1903. I must get back to that strand and write it up properly. I found the article at the Newspaper archive in Colindale many moons ago but I haven't yet found it digitized anywhere yet. I will have to find the photocopy that was done for me at the time and put it through the scanner.
                              Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

I cheated a bit for Week 9...........I thought about a data/laptop disaster!

So far so good, I am keeping up! It’s now Week 9, of the wonderful Genealogy prompts from Amy Johnson Crow and this week we are looking at the subject of “Disaster”. The first thi…

My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Comment

Finally finished the transcription. When I have more time I intend to go back and amplify the article - there is much more in the newspapers as well as more to write about the gunpowder mills and the inquest and follow up to William's family that I could do .... one day.

Caroline

Comment

Working...
                                  X