TNA at Kew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Record Office: TNA at Kew

I don't want to batten on anyone, though I know there are some very helpful people here...

I was hoping that it might be possible to find some detail about 2/Bn The Essex Regt around Aug/Sep 1914, probably mainly towards the end of August. I think that this is the ref: WO 95/1505/1

It's not for my own tree but in connection with our local (excellent) WW1 exhibition: http://www.busheyworldwarone.org.uk/

Three brothers are named on one of our local memorials, with the surname ROUND. They come from an eminent (Bishops, an Archbishop of York, assorted titled persons, professionals in law and the church) Essex family and it's not at all obvious why they are on our memorials, though tI've managed to work out a very distant family link between the Essex family and a Bushey family. I think there must be something closer, but I haven't found it yet!

Auriol Francis Hay ROUND: b 11 Nov 1891 - d 5 Sep 1914 (of tetanus, in King Edward VII Hospital, Middx)
    James Murray ROUND, MC: b 1894q1 - KiA 16 Nov 1916
    Harold Cecil ROUND, MC, DSO: b 1896q2 - KiA Aug/Sep 1917

I am particularly interested in Auriol's activities. There's a "The Essex Chronicle" ("Chelmsford Chronicle", per FMP description) article which describes how, having "been wounded in the hip, he saw a wounded sergeant near, went courageously after him, and carried him about three-quarters of a mile to a place of safety. In doing that, the bullet that had entered his hip worked down to his knee, and he succumbed after arrival in England. He never told anyone about his bravery. The sergeant, who also came home, told of it, otherwise it would never have been heard of."

It would be interesting to see if there's any record of that particular incident in the regimental diary in question. It would be interesting to find the sergeant's name, too. It may be that the record won't appear until somewhat later, if it depends on the sergeant's account, well after the event.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

You can download that Diary for £3.30, Christine, from the National Archives site

The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
    Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

On the same topic of War Diaries.
      Will the ones being digitised/tagged on the Operation War Diary website be made available to view freely online - or are they being added to the National Archives collection and bear a subsequent charge for download?
      Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by annswabey View Post
        You can download that Diary for £3.30, Christine, from the National Archives site

http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...s?uri=C7352169
        Sorry, Ann. I was just being a bit (a lot!) mean and hoping someone could pick it up while they were there for another errand. I might suggest to teh lady running the exhibition that it could be worth her getting a copy of it under her exhibition budget (if there's any left). Or perhaps I should spare some of my professional singing fees for my two recitals that are associated with the exhibition.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
        X