Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Look up for JoyEa

Joy,

Are you sure you have the right date of marriage for William Tribe and Georgina? Have check BMD and the only marriage that fits in Alverstoke (I assume Alverstone was a typing error!) was in 1865 not 1898!!

If you check Welcome to Knightroots You will find that there are quite a few if the baptisms for this couples children transcribed on there. There are also more Tribes that may belong to your family.

If you need a copy of this 1865 marriage cert. or even baptism records I will be only too happy to get them for you. Please Let me know.

Lesley
    Last edited by Punchs mum; 15-10-09, 08:50. Reason: added to thread

Comment

• TRIBE lookup

Hi Lesley

Sorry about the mix up. The marriage should be Jul-Sep 1865. The 1898 date is a possible death date for William TRIBE.

Thank you for the information on Knightroots, an excellent site. I found the eldest three children of William & Georgina Ann TRIBE there.

If the parents listed for Georgina Ann EARNSHAW link her to my EARNSHAW family I would appreciate any information you can give on this family.

The family I am researching is John EARNSHAW & Elizabeth HEWLAND and researching them has been a challenge as they moved around, Surrey - London - Kent - Scotland 1841 - Devon 1851 - Bristol. John EARNSHAW was a gunner in the Royal Artillery, a policeman and a prison warden. Not sure were or when he died.

Joy

Comment

• Ok then Joy. Will checked out the marriage now I have the correct date!!
        Will probably not be until next week now though but please keep checking back.

Lesley

Comment

• Tribe look up for Joy Ea

Joy,

I am sorry but I had no luck finding the marriage of William Tribe and Georgina Earnshaw. I have searched through four of the local churches records with no luck. The only small ray of hope I have now is that one of the microfiches for another local church was missing,obviously misfiled. When it turns up, which no doubt it will eventually, I will check that one for you. Even checked out 1863 marriages in case there was a mistake with the date.

I did find the burial record for a William Tribe,a joiner, on 26/11/ 1898 of Joseph Str, Stoke Road. Age 57 buried in Anns Hill Cemetery, Gosport Plot 14 Unconcencrated ground. Don't know if this is one of yours.

Sorry I couldn't help today but will look again for the 'missing fiche' when I am next in town.

Do you know if they were Catholic?

Lesley

Comment

• TRIBE - EARNSHAW lookup

Hi Lesley

As I mention previously researching my EARNSHAW family has been very challenging. What I am trying to do is prove the conection between my EARNSHAW family anf Georgina. What I have to date is

Georgina Ann EARNSHAW was bapt. in the parish of Charlton, Kent in 1836, d/o John & Elizabeth EARNSHAW, fathers occ. Gunner in R. Artillery.
            1841 census she was in an army barracks in Scotland with her parents.
            1851 census she was living with her parents and some of her siblings in Tavistock, Devon. Her father's occ. Assistant Warder.
            1861 census her parents and some of Geogina's siblings are living in Portland, Dorset. Father's occ. Prison Officer.
            1871 census mother with two of Georgina's sibling are living in Bristol.

I have have not found any link to the catholic church for this family.

On FreeBMD I found a marriage for a Georgina EARNSHAW in 1865 (Jun - Sep) Alverstoke, spouse options Willaim TRIBE or John Matthew MURRAY. I then checked 1881 census and found the Georgina A TRIBE, w/o William, age 43yrs, born Woolwick, Kent. The family were living at 86 Henry St Alverstoke.
            A check several other sources and found 7 children and some of their bapts. at St Mary's Gosport between 1865 - 1872. The death dates I have are from Free BMD. William 1898 (O-D) Alverstoke, Georgina Ann 1903 (J-S) Alverstoke.

I am hoping that the parents names will be recorded at the time of her marriage.

Thank you for taking the time to search the records for me.
            Joy

Comment

• Joy, Yes, her fathers name would be on the marriage cert. if only I could find it! Alverstoke Parish covers more than one church, so it is a process of elimination really. Like I said, there was one Microfiche film missing, obviously miss filed which I am hoping will be found and I am able to search through when I am next in town. Keep checking back and I will let you know the outcome whether it is good news or bad!! The only other option if I can't find it is to send to the GRO for the marriage certificate.

Lesley

Comment

• Burbridge at Alverstoke

I am looking for info concerning a John Burbridge, born in Southampton about 1915. His father is named as John William BURBRIDGE, but might appear as William John. His mother was a Mary Maude LEMIN, but could be Maud Mary. I believe his father was in the Royal marines at Forton, Alverstoke and was born in Potterne. John was sent to Australia as part of the Fairbridge Farm Scheme in 1927. I have found no evidence of a marriage.

Comment

• johnhy, I really need a bit more info than what you have given me to do a search. What makes you think that there may be a marriage in Gosport? Just because he was a Marine at Forton is not enough to point me in the right direction either date wise or place wise.

Lesley

Have you checked the Gedcom as there are Burbridge on there.?
                  Last edited by Punchs mum; 05-11-09, 08:30. Reason: added to post

Comment

• Alverstoke baptism, 14 Aug 1814

Hi Lesley

Thank you for your kind offer. Could you please have a look at the Alverstoke baptism register entry for Jane Atcherley on 14 Aug 1814 and let me know what it says? I know the parents' names from the IGI (James and Mary), but I would be interested to find out what it says regarding the family's abode and the father's occupation.

Many thanks,

Steve

Comment

• alverstoke look up

Hi Steve and Welcome to FTF.

Will see if I can find anything for you but am almost sure that baptisms that far back do not give the abode or fathers occupation. Also, I find that the microfiche reading is also very feint for that era and there unreadable.

However, will check it out for you when I am in town next.

Please make sure you check back to this thread as I will let you know one way or the other if I have found anything for you.

Lesley

Comment

• Look up for Steve at Alverstoke

Hi Steve.

Found the batism record you wanted for Jane Atcherley.Daughter of James and Mary born in Stoke (that is an area of Gosport)
                        Father First St? Provisional (looks like) batn. Militia.
                        Bearing in mind Gosport was a military town looks like he was military. Don't really understand the rank of father but may be you do!

I have a photocopy of this record I can either post to you or if you PM me you e mail address, I can scan it through to you. The scan is quiet a clear one.

Lesley

Comment

• Thank you so much for looking that up for me Lesley. I had traced a little of James' military history through online sources and wondered if the baptism might add more. The Royal Military Chronicle (Vol. 1, No. 1) showed that on 17 Apr 1810 James Atcherley, gent., was made an Ensign in the Worcestershire Militia. The London Gazette, issue 16819, 30 Nov 1813, showed that James was made a Lieutenant in the Worcestershire Militia on 23 Jul 1813. Then I found (on Google Books I think) a book entitled Stowe, which stated that in 1814 a Lieutenant James Atcherley volunteered to be part of the First Provisional Battalion of Militia under the Marquess of Buckingham, which joined the British Army in France under the Marquess (later Duke) of Wellington. This last reference seems to be well supported by the baptism record you have found for me.

I will PM you with my e-mail address, but in the meantime, many thanks again Lesley.

Steve

Comment

• Steve,

Scan should be on its way now! Hopefully!!

Lesley

Comment

• Alverstoke Whitcomb's

Hi Lesley

Back again on the trail of the Whitcomb Family in Alverstoke!
                              The previous records you managed to find were most useful and I thank you very much for all your help - especially the photos of Clayhall Road etc.

My present interest is in the line of Thomas Edmund Whitcomb born at Alverstoke September 1853 (BMD date). He was a Brother to Walter Whitcomb, my g g Grandfather.

His parents would have been Thomas and Mary Whitcomb. Possibly he was baptised at Alverstoke St. Marys, like his Siblings? I wonder if you could find his Baptism record?

As a matter of interest Thomas Edmund left Gosport about 1872 and went to London where he joined the Metropolitan Police ending up as an Inspector around 1895, when he retired. He died in 1940.

Another Whitcomb I'm researching is Charles Benjamin Whitcomb born Gosport circa 1816. Were his parents possibly George and Mary Whitcomb?

Ray

Comment

• Alverstoke Whitcombs

Hello again Ray,

Will certainly see what I can find for you! Please bear in mind though that it is nearly Christmas and us ladies are Extra Busy!!

Will be in touch as soon as possible, as always, happy to help!

Lesley

Comment

• Puflett/ Purfleet

Thank you for the offer to look up Gosport and Alverstoke. iI have family supposedly from there : looking for births, deaths of the followin":
                                  Robert Puflett: May 1809
                                  Sarah Puflett: February 1812
                                  Louisa Puflett :June 1813
                                  Harriet Puflett: May 1815
                                  Thomas Puflett: March 1817
                                  George Puflett:April 1819
                                  All reportedly born at Alverstoke. Were ther eany children who died there or born between 1809 and 1812
                                  Parents Robert Puflett and Sarah he was a baker. Surname variously spelt ; Puflett/ Purfleet/ etc

Thank you

Jennifer
                                  Sydney Australia

Comment

• Hi Jennifer,

Will see what I can do but it might not be until after Christmas now. Where did you get the information from that you have given me? You seem to know the births already.

Lesley.

Comment

• Alverstoke look ups for Raywhit and Erkoje

Ray, Was unable to find a baptism record for Charles Whitcombe 1816c at all but have got a copy of one for Thomas Edmund s/o Thomas and Mary b.1853. Will e mail a copy to your private e mail address or can post it to you if you wish.

Erkoje

Sorry but not much luck for your Pufletts! Have found and photocopied the Parish Record of the marriage of Robert Puflett and Sarah Stokes at Alverstoke on 8th May 1809. If you want a scan of the record please pm me your private e mail address.

There was a marriage of an Ann Parfett to Richard Florence on 23/4/1809. Don't know if this could be a mistranscription of one of yours???

Lesley

Comment

• Puflett

Hi Lesley

I got the dates from some old notes from family member I am not sure whether they were ever verified.

Thank you

Jennifer

Comment

• Hi Lesley

Thanks for finding the baptism for Thomas Edmund, an emailed copy is perfectly OK - and better considering the time of year!

The link you told me about Charles Whitcomb gives me food for thought. If he was the son of Charles and Martha, then there are in fact death entries for them in the GRO index. Charles died 1845 in Alverstoke, and Martha died 1851 in Alverstoke. In addition there is an entry for these events in the parish records on the Knightroots site. This gives the age of Charles as 70 years and Martha as 67.

I wonder if the Charles who died in 1845 was closely related to George Whitcombe - born 1774 died 1856. George Whitcombe was the father of Thomas Whitcombe, who in turn was the father of Thomas Edmund Whitcombe, my g g uncle.

Ray

Comment

Working...
                                          X