Look ups offered in Alverstoke/Gosport hants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Punchs mum View Post
    Joy, I am sorry but I couldn not find the baptism record for little William Harrison. The fiche at St. Johns church Forton, which is the nearest church to where they were living is practically illegible for the years 1859/60. There were a few which were readable by not for the one you wanted. I did check 3 other churches in the area but still no luck. Found the burial record for William and his mother Priscilla but you already have the details, I beleive, on that. I assume his poor Mum died shortly after childbirth. Very sad.

Sorry I couldn't help but will keep my eye open for William when I am there. You never know, I may find something when I am not looking for it. That is what usually happens.

Lesley

Thank you for looking for him.

Priscilla died 17 December 1860 in 8 Mill Lane, Forton, Gosport. Her body was interred 23 December 1860 in Anns Hill Cemetery, Gosport. Plot 53. Burial plot unconsecrated.

William died 24 May 1888 in 3 Victoria Street, Forton, USD. His body was interred 28 May 1888 in Anns Hill Cemetery, Gosport. Plot 104. Pensioner died age 73 yrs at Victoria Road, Forton.
    Joy

Comment

• Joy, It was the death of William Harrison s/o Priscilla that I found. buried 14/9/1860 plot 77 Anns Hill cemetery. I don't know if you already have that info.

Lesley.

Comment

• Deb Oz.

Have copies of the baptism records you requested. Will scan them through to your private e mail address. Hope you can read them, they are a bit feint!

Lesley.

Comment

• Originally posted by Punchs mum View Post
          Joy, It was the death of William Harrison s/o Priscilla that I found. buried 14/9/1860 plot 77 Anns Hill cemetery. I don't know if you already have that info.

Lesley.
          I do; thank you very much, Lesley.

William died 7 September 1860 in 8 Mill Lane, Forton, Gosport. Cause of death: 'Congestion of brain', he was age 1 year and 4 months, son of William Harrison, Private, Royal Marines. His body was interred 14 September 1860 in Anns Hill Cemetery, Gosport. Plot 77. Burial plot unconsecrated.
          Joy

Comment

• Thanks again Lesley

Originally posted by Punchs mum View Post
            Deb Oz.

Have copies of the baptism records you requested. Will scan them through to your private e mail address. Hope you can read them, they are a bit feint!

Lesley.
            Thank you for the copies, they're great! I'm so glad I found this site. You've been marvellous.

Deb

Comment

• Alverstoke: Louisa Collins and Thomas Meades

Dear Punchs mum

I would be so grateful if you could find any information about

Thomas Meades, born 1819 (Meads, Mead)
              Parents: Thomas Meades, Mary Anne Pope
              Born 2 Aug 1819, Broad Street, Portsea

and his wife
              Louisa Collins Birth1822, Hants Portsmouth

Marriage 21 Sep 1840, Alverstoke Hampshire
              District: Alverstoke, Volume: 7 Page: 45.

That would be wonderful!

Wendy

Comment

• Wendy. Can't help with the Portsmouth/Portsea lookups but can certainly check for Alverstoke marriage for you.

Will be in touch asap.

Lesley.

Comment

• Wow lesley, you are so busy, I hesitate to ask.. if you have found any Belstones in your research. I have Eliza Belstone b.1816 (B.Waltham) who married in Alverstoke to John Dacre, b'1812 in Upham. I also have a James Belstone christened Mar 1776in "Laverstoke" hants and I wonder if this should be Alverstoke? mnay thanks if you could have a look.
                  Alison

Comment

• Alison,
                    Will put your Eliza and John marriage on my 'to do' list. There is actually a Laverstoke in Hampshire but not near me, so can't help with that one! Do you know near enough, when this couple married, I assume between 1830 and 1840?

Lesley

It's OK Alison, found the marriage on Family Search. It was 1838 but John is listed as Deaker not Dacre!! It was Averstoke so shouldn't be a problem.
                    Last edited by Punchs mum; 16-09-09, 09:43. Reason: added to post

Comment

• Meades at Alverstoke

Dear Lesley

If while looking you turn up any information about Thomas Meades senior and his wife, that would also be handy. He married Mary Ann Pope at Alverstoke 25 Feb 1818.

With huge thanks for your kindness

Wendy

Comment

• Wow, thanks Lesley, I just assumed laverstoke was a mispelling because of the Alverstoke connection - oops, now I'll have to look it up and see where it is !
                        Alison

Comment

• Averstoke look ups!for AVZWRB

AVZWRB.

Found the marriage of Thomas Meades and Louisa Collins.
                          Married 21/9/1840 At St. Marys Church Alverstoke.
                          Thomas Meads Full Age . Bachelor . Mariner .Resident Gosport. Father Thomas Meades Mariner.

Louisa Collins . Minor . Spinster . Resident Gosport. Father Joseph Collins, Mariner
                          In the presence of Charles Lewis and mark of Sarah Lewis.
                          ----0----
                          Marriage of Thomas Meades and Mary Ann Pope.
                          Married 25/2/1818 at St. Marys Church Alverstoke by Banns with consent of Joseph Gear? on 25th Feb,In the presence of Mary ? and Joseph Gear?

Have taken photo copies of these records. Should you wish to see them, send me a pm with your private e mail addy and I will scan them to you.

Lesley

Comment

• Alverstoke lookup for Herebedragons.

Found the marriage record you requested of
                            John Deaker and Eliza Belstone on April ? (smudged!) 1838 at St. Marys Church Alverstoke.

John Deaker of full age. Bachelor Sawyer Residence Gosport . Father Thomas Deaker Sawyer.

Eliza Belstone of full age. spinster Residence Gosport Father John Belstone. Labr.

Witness L Lewis and Joseph Gear!

This Joseph Gear appears as witness in a lot of marriages! Don't know if this is normal! Were there professional witnesses???

Have photocopied this entry. If your want me to scan it to you, pm me your private e mail address.

Lesley
                            Last edited by Punchs mum; 21-09-09, 17:54.

Comment

• That's brilliant, thanks Lesley, I'll pm you my e-mail. I think the church wardens/vergers were often as not roped in as witnesses, perhaps that what Joseph Gear was, it would be interesting to look him up in a census and check his occupation (I feel another side-track coming up!!!) Thanks again.
                              Alison

Comment

• Hi Lesley

I have only recently started any Family research, but in a few months have reached back to the mid 1800's. There are many other 'threads', but for the moment I wish to add a bit to the Alverstoke one.

My first question / request is the whereabouts of Marine View Alverstoke? I have seen various references to addresses in Marine View, but have not managed to find it on any map - old (Epoch 1, 1:2500 OS) or indeed newer.

My interest in this road stems from the 1861 Census which gives the address of my g g Grandfather, Thomas Whitcomb, as "Military Arms, Marine View, Alverstoke", Thomas was the Publican. Thomas moved around Alverstoke / Gosport a bit and subsequent Census addresses do still appear on modern street maps - his final profession was coachman / cabman, which fits nicely into later family history.

On the general subject of Whitcomb(e),s in Alverstoke you may be able to help with Parish records.

I assume that Thomas Whitcomb, 1831 - 1832, was the Son of George Whitcomb (Carpenter) 1774 - 1856. I would like better confirmation of this, and info on any other children George may have had. The information which appears to tie George and Thomas is the 1851 Census and the marriage of George's Daughter, Selina, to W Goldie in 1850. Thomas and Mary Whitcombe are listed as witnesses- the church in this instance was St John the Evangelist, Forton.

Thomas Whitcomb married Mary Bridget Malone in June 1850 from BMD info. I'd like a little better data on this especially if it can cast further light on Mary Bridget. Her place of birth is variously stated as Gosport or London in various census returns. In 1851 it says London Middlesex with a profession of Boot Closer - this profession does tie into London - so how did she end up in Alverstoke?

Thomas and Mary had at least 11 Children. Three died in under 3 years of age, and several in childhood. There are two I cannot find any 'continuation' data on, Alice born 1858 and Mary born 1873.

Another bit of an 'enigma' is Clementina Rose Whitcombe born 1863 (d1895}. She had an eventful life including an illegitimate daughter 'Clementina Rose Whitcombe (The Second) born 1883 in Sheppy, Kent of all places, however she soon returned to Alverstoke and married Edward Savage in 1885. Parish record data on this would be very interesting.

Finally, my Walter Whitcombe born 1860 was my 1 g Grandfather. It would be nice to have a Baptism record for him to add to our history.

Ray

Comment

• Re Alverstoke look-up.

Ray. have just seen your thread and will see what I can find for you but it won't be until next week now so don't think I am ignoring you!

Lesley

Comment

• Alverstoke Look up for Raywhit1942

Hello Ray.

Have made a start on your request for lookups in Alverstoke and this is what I have found.

Looking at a 1860 map of Gosport I found that Marine View was in what is now known as Clayhall Road, Alverstoke. It looks possible that Marine View was a row of terraced houses which was not too far from Haslar Naval Cemetery. They were on the same side of the road. The Public House called The Military Arms is no longer there but looking at a map I have of old Pubs of Gosport was a bit further up the road on the opposite side of the road at the junction of Haslar Road. No doubt, you could find a present day map online and maybe get a rough idea for yourself.

I have found the marriage cert. of Thomas Whitcomb and Mary Bridget Malone and can confirm George Whitcomb, Carpenter, as his father.
                                    Thomas was a bachelor and a labourer of Clay Hall.
                                    Mary was a spinster of Gosport Father Edmund Malone Shoemaker.
                                    Witnesses James Malone and Eliza ? (can't read it) It looks like both the bride and groom signed their own names too! Not the usual X!!

Have also, got the baptism record of your 1xg Grandfather Walter Whitcomb on May 3rd 1860 at Alverstoke St. Marys born 2nd February 1860 s/o Thomas and Mary. On the previous page is the baptism of his sister Alice who was baptised on the same day.

Have photo copies of the marriage and baptism records which I would be happy to scan to you if you want but will need you to pm me your private e mail address.

Did look for the marriage of Clemantine and Edward but had no luck but will go back another day and have another look.

Also found a marriage of the following
                                    29/9/1898 James Henry Wright age 29 Bach. Seargant Major R E. Fort Monckton father William Carpenter to

Mary Ann Whitcomb age 27 of 70 Queens Road Gosport Father Charles Whitcomb a Bricklayer.
                                    Witnesse Kate ann Saunders? the other one was illegible, too feint.

Don't know if this is one of yours as well.

Will go back another day to further my search.....hopefully!!!

Don't forget to email me your private address if you need the scans.

Lesley

Comment

• Hello Leslie,

Thats a really great result, thanks so much. I would like to know a bit more about the Malone family, but tracing people before the 'proper' census is tricky?

George Whitcomb's wife Mary is stated to be a 'School Mistress' in census returns, so this may explain the fact that Thomas and Mary were literate and didn't have to use the 'X'?

I do not think that Mary Ann was from this line of Whitcombe's, it is a bit confusing as there is the marriage you have found in 1898 and another Mary Ann got married in Portsea in 1896, but there is no record of the birth of a Mary Ann about 1873 in Hampshire? There is a Mary Whitcomb, who I assume from census returns is Thomas's daughter, born in Alverstoke in June 1873.

There is a Charles Benjamin Whitcombe, born about 1816 in Alverstoke. He could have been one of George Whitcomb's children??? In the census returns he is stated to be a Royal Navy Master. He married three times, 1848, 1856, and 1876. His first wife, Ann Eliza Hobbs, seems to have 'disappeared', as there is no death record before Charles's second marriage in 1856. Rather surprisingly an Ann Eliza Hobbs gets married in Southampton in 1853 - could there have been a separation???? Interesting?

Ray

Comment

• Ray, The scans should be on there way to you!

Lesley.

Comment

• TRIBE marriage

Would you be able to look up the marriage of William TRIBE & Georgina A EARNSHAW between Oct-Dec 1898 Alverstone.
                                          I am trying to confirm the parents of the bride and the connection to my family an would appreciate any assistance you can give.
                                          On the IGI have found baptisms of children to William & Georgina TRIBE at St Marys Gosport.
                                          Joy

Comment

Working...
                                          X