Look ups offered in Alverstoke/Gosport hants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Adam

Lesley is the expert here, but your first step is to get in touch with Gosport Borough Council as Ann's Hill Cemetery is likely where they were buried. You can contact them as follows: enquiries@gosport.gov.uk

They may charge for look-ups.

If they find anything they will give you the burial plot references and a location map. Once you have this information do re-post and ask whether anyone is able to visit the graves and take photos

Comment

• Hi Adam

Lesley is the expert here, but your first step is to get in touch with Gosport Borough Council as Ann's Hill Cemetery is likely where they were buried. You can contact them as follows: enquiries@gosport.gov.uk

They may charge for look-ups.

If they find anything they will give you the burial plot references and a location map. Once you have this information do re-post and ask whether anyone is able to visit the graves and take photos

Comment

• Thank you very much…I will email them now. Cheers.

Comment

• I wonder if it is possible to get a lookup for 1 marriage record and 2 birth records from the 1760's if the records go back that far. My relative, Southwell Massey married Mary Eastwood on 12 DEC 1765. He and Mary had 2 children, Mary baptized 18 Nov 1767 and William baptized 13 JAN 1769. Thanks very much for considering my request!

Comment

• From a quick search is this the marriage and children? The surname is different though!

Name Sowthwell Bowler
            Spouse's Name Mary Eastwood
            Event Date 03 Dec 1765
            Event Place Alverstoke,Hampshire,England
            Indexing Project (Batch) Number M07357-5
            System Origin England-ODM
            GS Film number 918902

Name Mary Bowler
            Gender Female
            Christening Date 18 Nov 1767
            Christening Place HOLY TRINITY,GOSPORT,HAMPSHIRE,ENGLAND
            Father's Name Southwell Bowler
            Mother's Name Mary
            Indexing Project (Batch) Number C07356-1
            GS Film number 918895

Name William Bowler
            Gender Male
            Christening Date 13 Jan 1769
            Christening Place HOLY TRINITY,GOSPORT,HAMPSHIRE,ENGLAND
            Father's Name Southwell Bowler
            Mother's Name Mary
            Indexing Project (Batch) Number C07356-1
            GS Film number 918895

If Lesley cannot help you can order copies of the images (free) from the LDS (takes a few days) from the following:

Comment

• Thanks Bertie! These look correct. I am pretty sure Sowthwell is just a transcription error. It looks like he married a few years before and his name was spelled correctly. Thanks for the link as well. If, as you said, Lesely can't help, is this service available to anyone or just in the UK? I live in the US which is why I wanted to check. Thanks very much for the information and the link! Alison

Comment

• Hi Alison - actually the link is to the LDS in Utah and they do a worldwide service. By the way, do you have a copy of his will?

If you have an ancestry sub. for the UK collection you can also get it there in their Wills & Probate section under "England & Wales, Prerogative Court of Canterbury Wills, 1384-1858"

Comment

• Also do you have a copy of his burial record?

Name Southwell Bowler
                  Gender Male
                  Burial Date 25 Aug 1781
                  Burial Place Alverstoke, Southampton, Hampshire, England
                  Indexing Project (Batch) Number I03220-8
                  System Origin England-EASy
                  GS Film number 1595976

Comment

• Also this looks like Mary's will in case you don't have it (at Nat. Arch. or ancestry as above):

Probate was March 1776

Comment

• Thanks for all of the information Bertie! Lots of good information! I really appreciate it. Also, I was unaware that LDS offered a few free copies. All of this is very helpful! Thanks so much!

Comment

• Hello, I have details of a baptism that was obtained from LDS and I wondered if the microfiches at the centre would be able to give me any more information that I already have ie godparents or anything else?

Name: Ann Susannah Herrmitte
                        Baptism Date: 21 February 1797
                        Father's Name: Lewis Francis Hermitte
                        Mothers Name: Susannah.

Are microfiche records of the original church registers, if not are the originals available for viewing anywhere?

Many thanks

White Mist

Comment

• Ooops my apologies.

Place of Baptism: Holy Trinity Church, Gosport

White Mist

Comment

• White mist. The microfiche are copies of the orginal chuch registers but would not give you any more information than what you know already. In fact, they are sometimes very difficult to read simply because the writing is so poor and is written on unlined paper!

Lesley

Comment

• Bertie, thanks for the advice on Southwell Bowler. I was able to the the three items that I needed! I appreciate your help!

Comment

• Originally posted by Punchs mum View Post
                                White mist. The microfiche are copies of the orginal chuch registers but would not give you any more information than what you know already. In fact, they are sometimes very difficult to read simply because the writing is so poor and is written on unlined paper!

Lesley
                                Thanks very much Leslie. I was hoping for more information, however, you have actually helped a lot by reminding me that poor writing being difficult to read as I have come across myself the same even in more recent times.

The father’s name being notated in LDS records as Lewis Francis Hermitte, if badly written, is very likely to be that of Louis Francois Hermitte - about whom I am researching at the moment.

This was one of my doubts about the authenticity of the entry being if I could confidently assume that it is one and the same person. I took the LDS entry as correctly entered.

LDS also have a record of the marriage between Lewis Francis Hermitte and Susannah Lewis at St Marys’s, Portsea 12/10/1795. More than coincidence do you think?

What would be your opinion?

White Mist

Comment

• Originally posted by White Mist View Post
                                  Thanks very much Leslie. I was hoping for more information, however, you have actually helped a lot by reminding me that poor writing being difficult to read as I have come across myself the same even in more recent times.

The father’s name being notated in LDS records as Lewis Francis Hermitte, if badly written, is very likely to be that of Louis Francois Hermitte - about whom I am researching at the moment.

This was one of my doubts about the authenticity of the entry being if I could confidently assume that it is one and the same person. I took the LDS entry as correctly entered.

LDS also have a record of the marriage between Lewis Francis Hermitte and Susannah Lewis at St Marys’s, Portsea 12/10/1795. More than coincidence do you think?

What would be your opinion?

White Mist
                                  If the "Lewis Francis Hermitte" is in an English record, then the chances are that it's just that someone wrote down the names they knew, that were familiar to them and sounded the same. It is, after all, simply a translation of the name for which you were looking. Would Louis have been in any position to query the spelling? Would he have felt enough personal authority to question the authority of a clergyman or his deputy?

Christine
                                  Last edited by Christine in Herts; 29-03-14, 17:45.
                                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

• Lewis Francis Hermitte

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                                    If the "Lewis Francis Hermitte" is in an English record, then the chances are that it's just that someone wrote down the names they knew, that were familiar to them and sounded the same. It is, after all, simply a translation of the name for which you were looking. Would Louis have been in any position to query the spelling? Would he have felt enough personal authority to question the authority of a clergyman or his deputy?

Christine
                                    Thanks for your reply Christine. I had not thought of the sitation of him querying the spelling mistake and quite relevant actually. I doubt that he would have done so even if he felt able to do so. Even though he was a bosun in the French Navy, I guess that church authority in a foreign country could have been a bit daunting. However, my guess is that he would have ignored it anyway so as not to draw attention to himself and just keep his head down. It might be that he was known generally as Lewis as he stayed in the Portsmouth/Gosport area for at least 2 years - got married to an English woman in Portsmouth, had a child that was baptised in Gosport then went home to France to carry on his life with his French wife and children!! What a rogue!! C'est la vie.

I appreciate your impute as it does add weight to being able to substiate that he is one and the same person.

White Mist

Comment

• Hi,

I am new to FTF so hope I am doing this right. I am trying to confirm the parents of Amelia Field who married Edward Andrew Chatterton in Alverstoke 6 Nov. 1833. My understanding is they were both from Portsea, so I'm not sure why they married in Alverstoke. Any extra information would be a great help, such as witnesses, or whether they were married by license or banns.

Thanks so much,

Pauline

Comment

• Hello Pauline,
                                        I will take a look at the Parish Records held on Micro Fiche at the local study centre for you when I am in town next.
                                        Think you will find that marriage records of that era will not show the name of parents though. It should show the names of witnesses but sometimes the Parish Clerks were used so won't be of any help!

Lesley

Comment

• Thanks very much Lesley,

Pauline

Comment

Working...
                                          X