No announcement yet.

Look ups offered in Alverstoke/Gosport hants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks Lesley - Yes I've posted this on quite a few sites. Her marriage just missing registration is a real pain! Thanks for you help.

Comment

• Shame she married just before registration! Where is the marriage? Who are the witnesses? Any clues in the naming of her children? Where were her other siblings born / baptised esp. John Albert Robert and Charlotte? Is this a Hampshire family?

Is there any variation in the spelling of the name?
      Last edited by Bertie; 18-05-13, 08:42.

Comment

• Alverstoke look up for KevinB

Hi Kevin,

Like I predicted, no luck at the study centre for a baptism of Hester Toon.
        The fiche for Holy Trinity around that era was 99% illegible for a start! The only Toon baptism I found was Alfred bapt. 5/5/1819 s/o John and Charlotte. Father a Cabinet Maker, but then you knew all that!

I did have a look at the IGI index fiche for Hampshire while I was there as well. Must admit though that I am not very familiar with these but I did see that John Griffiths Toon was the s/o William and Mary baptised 7/11/1784 at Holy Trinity, also sibling Mary Toon 1782 Thomas Toon 1796 and Maria 25/1793. There could have been more but as it wasn't this family you are after I didn't bother to note any more down.

When searching this fiche for the name Toon it directed me to the name of Town, Tune, Toone which suggest the possibility of other spellings of this name. There was NO mention on this fiche of any name that was anything like Hester Augusta Toon. I think you probably need to look outside of Hampshire but then I am no expert!

Lesley.

Comment

• Hi Lesley, Thanks for looking for me. You are right about the multiple spellings. Tune and Towne seem to be most common, but I've come across Tone, Toom, Tonn and many others! I think I do have the right family based on the fact that a nephew John Toon, who I think is the son of John Albert Robert Toon, is staying with her and George Sparks in the 1861 census. I'd just really like to confirm it with some sort of birth record and understand why there seem to be records for all of the other siblings except Hester. I'll try your suggestion of widening the net outside Hampshire, but Gosport is consistently listed as birthplace in all censuses. Thanks

Comment

• Hello Lesley - I would like to trace a William Manning born 1854 to 1856 with a father's name of Andrew Manning, a Coast Guard. My difficulty is identifying where he was born and as such I an trying rule in/out all possibilities! So if you have a minute is there a chance you could have a brief look to see if any Baptisms were recorded for those years? Many thanks Phil Watford

Comment

• Hi Phil - what information do you have from census records re. his birth location?

Comment

• Hi Phil,
                I would need more than just a minute to look up all the Alverstoke Parish baptism records with the little information you have given me!!!

What make you think William Manning was baptised in this area?
                A quick search on Family Search only brings up two Manning baptisms in 1814, but not for any William or Andrew Manning.

More information required please.

Lesley

Comment

• Hi Lesley,
                  I wonder if I could ask if you have any advise on research into my family line.
                  I have been trying extensivly to research and learn more about my Family connection to Gosport.
                  I have Elizabeth Smith born Gosport abt 1775. I think she may be from the Family Search site - daughter of (William Smith and his wife Eizabeth) who was baptised August 1775 at Holy Trinity Gosport .
                  There may have been up to 13 other children, some who died young. I would love to know the occupation of this William Smith.
                  Elizabeth Smith grew up and went on to marry James Buchanan Leitunant in the Royal Navy on 1 Nov 1802 again at at Holy Trinity Gosport.
                  James died not long after that on 08 Dec 1807 at Gosport I think. He was still with the Navy at his death.
                  Their only daughter Elizabeth Buchanan was born I assume mid 1803 and baptised 16 September 1803 again at the Holy Trinity Gosport. The young Elizabeth married and moved away from Gosport with her Mother by abt 1822 most likly to the Channel Islands. Her first child was born there but I have not ever located her marriage record. Her move to Middlesex was made by 1838.
                  This is all that I know about the family line and I dream of learning more from Church records. I have been told that the marrige entry for James Buchanan and Elizabeth has no extra detail of parents. Witnesses were Adeliza Arabella Mowbray and Alexander Hampson were witnesses at their marriage and I know Adeliza Arabella Mowbray became a navy wife herself some years later. Alexander Hampson was mentioned in James's will. James's will also states James had a sister called Margaret and a brother called William.

I am hoping that you have some advise in this research,

Regards,

Jenny
                  New Zealand

Comment

• Look ups in Alverstoke

Hi Jenny
                    Regretfully at the moment I am unable to do any look ups in Parish Registers at our local Study Centre due to the installation of a new Microfiche reader which,to me, is Hi Tech!!

The majority of the staff are also seemingly having problems which in turn means me taking up a lot of their time asking for help and them having to call in reinforcements to help them!!! I have requested/suggested that a tuition course be arrange for dumbos like me but at the time of writing have had no response to my request.

I am hopeful that this problem will be resolved and that I will be able to help people like you who request searches on the Local Parish Registers. Something which I did enjoy doing.

All I can suggest to you until then is that you post this request on the main Research Board. Maybe a Moderator would move it for you?

They are many people with experience on this Forum that I am sure will be able to help or suggest where you can further your research.

Sorry I am unable to help at the moment

Lesley

Comment

• Lesley's suggestion is a good one concerning your SMITH connections. I would take a look into what happened to the surviving siblings of your Elizabeth as many Navy families married into each other and you might find some clues about William SMITH especially if one of them married after 1837. A couple of other things:

- do you have from TNA item ADM 6/345/15 "ff. 74-78. Elizabeth Buchanan, widow of James Buchanan, Lieutenant Royal Navy who died 08 Dec 1807. Includes: Extract from Parish Register, married 1 Nov 1802. Papers submitted to the Charity for the relief of Officers' Widows"? This can be ordered from them (not available as a download).

- the following is very good for Jersey: http://jerripediabmd.net you can find the marriage record you are missing on 16 Jan 1821 at St. Helier: Elizabeth BUCHANAN to William DAUNDERS (sic)

Comment

• Perrin/Lear marriage 29/10/1764

Originally posted by genesnz View Post
                        Dear Lesley,
                        I wish to take you up on your offer of an Alverstoke lookup.
                        I have been researching my maternal line for several years and have stumbled with the following person until very recentlywhen a snippit of info came my way.
                        The family name is Perrin.
                        William Perrin DoB abt 1773/5. I need confirmation of date and place of birth.
                        Sarah Hardy (his wife) DoB abt 1775. I need confirmation od date and place of birth.
                        said to have been married at Alverstoke March 1797 (Pallots Records)
                        Birth of any children to William and Sarah up to May 1803 when they went to Guernsey and had seven children (Parish Records).
                        Any indication of parents to William - my best guess is Richard Perrin and Mary Lear - married in Alverstoke 29 Oct 1764.
                        Any indication of an occupation/profession that would have taken William and Sarah to Guernsey for about 8 years?
                        The name Thomas Perrin ( 22 Dec 1774) has appeared - could this be an older brother to William - any other family?
                        Yes I know Im pushing my luck but this guy is real important to my journey and I need as much help as I can muster.
                        Special thanks from me in NZ
                        Ian Reid
                        Can anyone provide details of parents for Richard Perrin?

Thanks
                        Carlp

Comment

• Perrin/Lear marriage 29/10/1764

Can anyone supply parents and any other details of Richard Perrin?

I have a copy of information from Findmypast.com that he was married on the 29 October 1764 to Mary Lear

Thanks
                          Carlp

Comment

• Hi Lesley,
                            Not sure if you are currently able to do more look-ups, but if so, could you please check out marriage of James Fleet to Antoinetta (possibly down as Antonetta, or Anthonietta, etc) Nutbeen (or possibly Nutbeam), on 25 Dec 1827 at Alverstoke. Any other details would be helpful. She would I think have been a widow, maiden name Payne.

Many thanks if you are still able to do this, you were very helpful on previous research for me.

Best wishes, Elaine

Comment

• The marriage per familysearch is:

NameJames Fleet
                              Spouse's NameAnthonetta Warner Nutbean
                              Event Date25 Dec 1827
                              Event PlaceAlverstoke, Southampton, Hampshire, England
                              Indexing Project (Batch) NumberI04160-4
                              System OriginEngland-EASy
                              GS Film number1596261
                              Reference IDp212 no634

However, Lesley may be able to confirm whether the bride was a widow from the original entry

Comment

• Hi Elaine.alias Lemmonaid!!

As you can see in my post No809, I am unable to do look ups in the Study Centre due to the installation of a new Microfiche which I find unable to use without the help of staff or in most cases....several staff!!

However, as you have a specific date/place which does help, I will try and see what I can do. Mainly, to see if Widow is confirmed on the Parish Register.

Will let you know if/when I find anything for you.

Lesley.

Comment

• Look up for Lemmonaid.

Hi Elaine.Unfortunatly the Parish Register for the marriage of James fleet and Anthonetta Warner Nutbean does not give any more information than you already know. Nothing about her being a Widow.

James Fleet signed the Register but Anthonetta sign by a X! The witnesses were William Deal and Ann Bidgood.

So glad I went to the Study Centre for you today though as I see they are at last offering a one to one Workshop course on how to use this new Microfiche Reader!! Have booked a place!

At last I won't have to bother the staff for help. Providing, that is, that I can master the art of using this blinkin Machine and printer!!!!

Lesley
                                  Last edited by Punchs mum; 27-08-13, 15:43. Reason: grammer

Comment

• Hi Lesley, thank you very much indeed for checking this out for me. I have other sources for her being a widow, and you have made my day by finding the witness of Ann Bidgood as I have been trying to find a connection between this family and the Bidgood name, as there is someone called Antoinetta Warner Bidgood I have come across, and I wondered if there was a connection with my Antoinetta Warner Payne (then Nutbeam, then Fleet). This suggests that there might be! So I shall now look at the Bidgoods to see where they might tie in. Antoinetta Warner Payne b1788 was the earliest record I can find of the names Antoinetta Warner - she was aunt to my great great grandmother born Antoinetta Warner Green, and the name Antoinetta has continued down the family in one form or another to the latest instance of a cousin born 1982!

Glad you have been able to book a place on the course, hope it explains all the mysteries of the new technology!!

Many thanks once again,

Elaine

Comment

• Elaine - let me know if any of your BIDGOODs morph into BIGWOODs, won't you! The BIGWOOD name seems to have been largely confined to Wiltshire until some migrated to Sussex/Hampshire in the late C18th and early C19th. I have BIGWOODs in the Sussex bit of my tree (see my footer).

Christine
                                      Last edited by Christine in Herts; 28-08-13, 10:41.
                                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

• Help Required

Originally posted by Punchs mum View Post
                                        Anyone need any look-ups in Alverstoke/Gosport Our local Study Centre keep Parish Records for this area on microfiche. Am able to do searches of baptisms, marriages and burial records if anyone needs anything checked out. Let me know and I will see what I can do.
                                        Lesley.
                                        I am looking for the surname PERRIN 1500's through to 1900's if u can help - births, marriages and deaths

Comment

• Carlp.

I am sorry but I am unable to do blanket searches now at the Study Centre due to the installation of a new Microfiche reader which I am unfamiliar with. (see previous posts re this).

Parish Records from the era you are wanting searched do not give a lot a detail anyway. I am sorry but I am unable to help.

Maybe if you posted on the Research board someone more knowledgeable than me can suggest where you could go next in your research.

Lesley

Comment

Working...
                                          X