No announcement yet.

Look ups offered in Alverstoke/Gosport hants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ray, Reading your post today reminded me I didn't post the details of your last query which I did make a quick check of yesterday!!

Well, the marriage cert. definately say " Doling" as the sir name. Not Dowling.

William was of full age a bachelor father James William Doling Schoolmaster.

Kate Martin Snelling also of full age father Anthony Lamb? Snelling A Painter. Both bride and groom were of Gosport.

Now the witnesses George Antram? and Mary 'N'?ulger? as you have guessed, they were not very clear. Maybe they ring some bells with you though.

Regards and Good Luck!!! Lesley

Comment

• Thanks Lesley. Have sent a private message. Michael
      People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
      Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

• Hi Lesley

Thanks for your exceedingly fast look up!

I'm happy to use the name Doling for this family - looking up Surnames on the web reveals that Doling and Dowling are possible spellings for the same person!? However as Doling was written on the marriage certificate, 'from the horses mouth' so as to say, I'll go with that. (Irrespective of the 'opinion' of the Hampshire Telegraph or various census enumerators / transcribers!)

Anthony Lamb Snelling was described as a schoolmaster in the 1861 census, but in the 1881 census he was a painter, like his Son in Law William Doling. Is this the link between the Whitcomb and Snelling families, schoolteachers??? Mary Whitcomb, Thomas's mum was a schoolmistress as was her daughter Selina and Selina's son Henry Goldie. I wonder if there are any records of early schools surviving in some record archive, but these things tend to get 'dumped', sadly.

I'm pondering the witness names. There were Antram's living in Alverstoke at the time, but no George. The other name seems to be 'strange'!!!

Many thanks

Ray

Comment

• I'm happy to use the name Doling for this family - looking up Surnames on the web reveals that Doling and Dowling are possible spellings for the same person!? However as Doling was written on the marriage certificate, 'from the horses mouth' so as to say, I'll go with that. (Irrespective of the 'opinion' of the Hampshire Telegraph or various census enumerators / transcribers!)
          I have a copy of a marriage register entry, in Nov 1837, in which the incumbent (or whoever wrote up the book in preparation) spelled the surname as "ASHPOLE". but the bride has signed, very clearly, "ASHPOOL", which is how the family name appears in censuses.

It appears in the GRO index as "ASHPOLE".

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

• Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
            I have a copy of a marriage register entry, in Nov 1837, in which the incumbent (or whoever wrote up the book in preparation) spelled the surname as "ASHPOLE". but the bride has signed, very clearly, "ASHPOOL", which is how the family name appears in censuses.

It appears in the GRO index as "ASHPOLE".

Christine
            I have numerous occurrences of 'false' names. Mostly this occurs on census transcriptions. Just tonight while attempting again to find an 1841 census transcript for my 2g grandmother's family, I finally succeeded. The name should be 'Malone', it was transcribed as 'Valone'! Some time ago when looking for some members of the same family in the 1851 census I had to cope with an even wilder misnaming. A Charles Laws was written as Charles Lucos! His sister in law, Maria Malone, who was visiting with her new baby Edmund was nearly correct, although mum's name was spelt 'Malone' and baby was 'Molone'.

In another case I can just about forgive another error in an 1861 census where a fairly rare name, Gorringe, was written as Gowings'. However this one gave me a lot of 'grief' searching for a non existent family until it finally 'clicked', and a lot of relationships came together.

Ray

Comment

• Originally posted by raywhit1942 View Post
              I have numerous occurrences of 'false' names. Mostly this occurs on census transcriptions. Just tonight while attempting again to find an 1841 census transcript for my 2g grandmother's family, I finally succeeded. The name should be 'Malone', it was transcribed as 'Valone'! Some time ago when looking for some members of the same family in the 1851 census I had to cope with an even wilder misnaming. A Charles Laws was written as Charles Lucos! His sister in law, Maria Malone, who was visiting with her new baby Edmund was nearly correct, although mum's name was spelt 'Malone' and baby was 'Molone'.

In another case I can just about forgive another error in an 1861 census where a fairly rare name, Gorringe, was written as Gowings'. However this one gave me a lot of 'grief' searching for a non existent family until it finally 'clicked', and a lot of relationships came together.

Ray
              My theory about name transcription errors is the possibility that more recent transcribers are not familiar with copperplate handwriting. My grandmother was "lost" for a while as she was transcribed as Alice instead of Olive. In copperplate handwriting the letter A and letter O are similar in formation, but it depends whether the following L in this case was joined or not. Anyway, food for thought.
              hscott21c

Searching: Buxey, Taulbut, Brown/e & Jannaway - Hampshire.

Comment

• Hello again Lesley, some more help required if you can please. My wife was born in Blackbrook Maternity home Fareham in 1961 and her mother gave a home address of 52 Russell St Gosport. Would it be possible for you to find out who else was registered as living there in 1961 , as we do not know why she gave that address?

Kind Regards Ian

Comment

• Hello Ian,

Looking at the Study Centre homepage Electoral Rolls are only available from 1971 there so I don't think I will be able to help you with this.

I don't know if earlier ones are available anywhere else. You could try phoning the local council I suppose and they may point you in the right direction.

I will look at the 1971 Electoral Records for you when I am in town next. Maybe a name from the address may ring a bell. Check back on this thread though, will let you know either way if I find anything

Lesley

Comment

• Thankyou Lesley , they may possibly be held in Portsmouth ? I will try and find out , but yes 1971 info could prove to be just as usefull

Kind Regards Ian

Comment

• Hi Ian,

I asked at the Study Centre today and was told the earlier Electoral Registers for this area are kept at Winchester.

Will send you a Private Message with the names I found living at the address you quoted as the chances are they are still living and it is, as you probably know, against T & C's. Also, I think I know of these people!!! Went to school with one of them.

Lesley

Comment

• Look up for Sparkstree

Hi Dawn,

This is what I have found for you today. Sorry again about the delay due to a lousy cold and not feeling 100%

Thomas Lee OFA Bachelor Dealer of Brockhurst father Thomas also a Dealer
                        married
                        Emily Giles OFA Spinster of Brockhurst father William Basket Maker

Both parties signed
                        Witness were George Sparks and Amelia Giles.

James Guyett OFA Bachelor Cordwainer of Forton father James Guyett Cordwainer
                        married
                        Martha Giles OFA Spinster of Forton father William Basket Maker

Witness were very feint and difficult to read. Looks like Henry/Harry/Harvey Fey??
                        and Charbell Ann Guyatte.

I also noticed that James spelt his surname name with and 'a' and so did the witness!

Sorry I can't be more precise as it was difficult to decipher being very feint.

Lesley

Comment

• Thank you for finding that out for me. Funny that all three of them married Hampshire lads though the parents seemed to have stayed in Westbourne. Any idea what a cordwainer is?

Dawn.

Comment

• Just cheated and 'Googled' it! A cordwainer makes shoes and other things from soft leather!!

Something I didn't know either.

Lesley
                            Last edited by Punchs mum; 19-10-10, 18:14. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Originally posted by Punchs mum View Post
                              Just cheated and 'Googled' it! A cordwainer makes shoes and other things from soft leather!!

Something I didn't know either.

Lesley
                              For anyone else (like me) who is intrigued by words and how they come about...

The best leather used to come from Cordoba, and "cordwainer" is a word based on that city-name. When words change, one common transformation is to move between similar consonants, e.g. M, B, P, V, F, W are all made by using the lips. The B of Cordoba has morphed into the W of cordwainer. I believe it's usually pronounced more like "cordonner" (so it might get written like that in a census, of course!).

Chrisitne
                              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

• Lesley

I'm back on the track of a Mary Whitcomb who was born, according to Free BMD, in Alverstoke June 1873. Mary,age 7, was listed in the 1881 census (Alverstoke) as living with her Father Thomas Whitcomb, older Brother George Thomas (now a widower) and Sister Clementina Rose. Her Mother, Mary Bridget was 'missing'.
                                After this Mary 'disappears'!

Could you look if there is a Church Baptism for Mary around June 1873. I have a feeling that Mary might not have been baptised? so please don't worry if you turn up nothing. There is nothing on the IGI site.

Ray

Comment

• Ray,

Will have a look for you and see if there is a baptism.

Only just seen this message!!

Lesley

Comment

• Ray,

Well, had a look this afternoon for your Mary Whitcomb baptism c.1873 but as you expected.......no luck I'm afraid.

Looking back at my notes(scraps of paper!) I see you had requested this lookup before and I was unable to find it. I did look at some of the smaller outlying churches of the area as well. Can only assume like you, that she wasn't baptised or if she was it wasn't in this area.

Sorry I was not able to help.

Lesley

Comment

• Lesley,

Thanks again for looking this up (again!). Yes the non result is no surprise.

Now just for your interest:

It is possible that Mary was baptised at a later date, but IGI searches for a Mary, daughter of Thomas and Mary Whitcomb, drew a blank - except for one very strange result! A Mary was allegedly 'Born' - err not Baptised - in Addington (near Croydon, Surrey) on 6 June 1879 - parents Thomas & Mary! Now a search around this area ( 1881 census, etc ) turns up a few Whitcomb families, but no Thomas & Mary, also the rest of the IGI Batch (I018808) shows no other Whitcomb's. In fact Mary was born (BMD Index) June 1873 - interesting?
                                      Unfortunately the IGI index does not seem very 'extensive' after the 1870's, so research becomes difficult. The 'possible' church, St Mary's Addington, do have records covering these date, so I'll see if they can expand on the IGI data.

A Mary, born 1873, also has another enigmatic question. Mary Ellen Whitcomb died at an address in Kings Langley Herts in 1898. That address was also associated with a Thomas Edmund Whitcomb (Police Inspector), who was the brother of Mary 1873. I'm beginning to feel like "Hercule Poirot", so I better take my leave!

Thanks

Ray

Comment

• LOL Ray!!

I know what you mean about feeling like "Poirot"! I always say I feel like "Miss Marples"" Hope no one thinks I look like her though!

Have you not been tempted to send for Mary Whitcomb b.1873 birth certificate? Surely that will give the parents name. I know they don't come very cheap these days but I think curiousity would get the better of me. Then I am a nosey person!!!

Thanks for your explaination re Mary. Your Whitcombs were certainly an 'Interesting' to say the least, family!!

Just wish I could have been more help this time.

Lesley
                                        Last edited by Punchs mum; 26-10-10, 17:52. Reason: spelling correction

Comment

• Hi Punchs mum
                                          could you please check an Alverstoke marriage for me please. Thomas WEEKES and Sarah JURD married 27 May 1802.

The information I am looking for is whether they were both 'of this parish' or hopefully one or both from Berkshire.

Many thanks

goodyg.

Comment

Working...
                                          X