Look ups offered in Alverstoke/Gosport hants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ian,

Will see what I can find for you starting with the marriage cert. of Thomas and Kathleen. Gill is a common name in this area. I see from Free BMD the marriage was in 1926 so hopefully not a problem to find.

Will let you know one way or other so please check back on this thread.

Lesley

Comment

• Lookup for Janet

Janet, Have found the marriage for Albert and Daisy as below

Married 6th October 1928 at the parish Church Alverstoke (that would be St.Marys)

Albert Joseph McCullen age 27 Bach. Electrical Engineer of 8 Harding Road father Joseph Nelson? McCullen Chief Officer RN (Retired)

married

Daisy Irene Elizabeth Merrett age 21 Spinster of 31 Pelham Road father Ernest Merrett Pensioner RMLI.

witnesses Ernest Merritt (Look like!)
      Ida Florence Kate Merritt (again looks like different spelling)

Sorry was unable to look at Burial records as the Study Centre only keep records up to 1953. Should have known that.

Have sent you a PM re the Electoral Register lookup.

Lesley

Comment

• Wow - that was exactly what I was looking for! So now I know that he was with his family until 1976 by which time he would be 32. I am so glad to hear this - I would have hated to think he was rejected as a baby. His adoptive mum would have been around 69 by then and probably just couldn't cope any longer. It also confirms that these were indeed his parents so it was a correct (but informed!) guess.
        I am so grateful to you for all your help. It really is good news to know this.
        I think this probably gives me closure on this, but perhaps I can contact you again if I think of anything else.
        Janet

Comment

• Thank you Lesley , thats very kind of you , and already you have info.We did not know they were married in 1926

Kind Regards Ian
          Originally posted by Punchs mum View Post
          Ian,

Will see what I can find for you starting with the marriage cert. of Thomas and Kathleen. Gill is a common name in this area. I see from Free BMD the marriage was in 1926 so hopefully not a problem to find.

Will let you know one way or other so please check back on this thread.

Lesley

Comment

• can I take you up on this kind offer Lesley

I am looking for the marriage of William Martin to a Jane Abt 1775/78, in Holy Trinity Gosport

the brides surname may be Markham as all their children have it as a middle name, and all where baptised in this church, and I think there could also be a Martin family grave

thanks

Joyce

Comment

• Joyce,

Have you looked at the Family Search pilot site as it looks like William Martin married Jane Lunn 8th August 1775. There are 2 pages of information re a William Martin on there which might be of interest to you.

Let me know what you think.

Lesley.

Comment

• thanks Lesley looks like that could be her

Joyce

Comment

• Lookup for Iangmclean

Sorry Ian but I have had no luck in finding a marriage cert. for Thomas Gill and Kathleen Neate in spite of finding the date of the marriage on Free BMD. I have searched the records of seven churches in Alverstoke/Gosport and found nothing. I can only assume that the marriage was in a Registry Office and therefore the record would not be at the Study Centre on a Fiche.

Looking at the births of the children of these two people I did note that their first child was Born Q1 1926 and their Marriage was not until Q2 1926! Which to me indicates that a Registry Office wedding was more than likely!!

I could only find eight children born to this couple between March 1926 and March 1946 in Hampshire. However, it doesn't mean there wasn't more.

Looks like the only way you will progress backward now is to order the marriage certificate through the GRO. The reference number can be found on Free BMD. If you need any more help from the area just let me know. I will help if I can.

Lesley

Comment

• Thats Ok Lesley , they are a difficult lot , even todays generation of Gills ))), i would be interested to know the eight that you found though . I dont understand where the other 6 have gone astray ?? i will have to look into that

Thanks again for your help Lesley

Kind Regards Ian

Comment

• Ian,

Forgot to say that the births I found to this couple are listed on the Free BMD site. I Just put fathers name in the surname box and mothers maiden name in the spouse box. If you have trouble find them let me know and I will send you a private message of the names. T&C say that no names of possible living people are to be mentioned on this site.

Lesley

PS. The last child shown was born in Winchester 1946!
                      Last edited by Punchs mum; 24-09-10, 07:21. Reason: added to post

Comment

• Gill

Thankyou Lesley , i will take a look

Regards Ian

Comment

• Hi Lesley

I'm back on the trail of the Whitcombs! This time I'm looking at related families etc. I believe that the following Marriage may be connected to one of the Step Daughters of Selina Whitcomb who married a William Goldie. The IGI database gives:-

MARY ANN GOLDIE
                          Marriages:
                          Spouse: THOMAS AYLING
                          Marriage: 21 MAY 1866 Alverstoke, Hampshire, England

Interestingly this Marriage made it to the columns of the Hampshire Telegraph! I would be grateful if you could look up the original Parish Record to see if any further details are revealed, especially witnesses.

Thanks for all your previous help

Ray

Comment

• Hello again Ray!

Sorry I have only just seen this post! Will have a look for you and see what I can find when I am in town next.

Lesley.

Comment

• Hi again Ray,

Well that one was easy to find but I don't think it is what you are looking for!

Thomas Ayling Bach. Market Gardener of Gosport father William Ayling
                              married

May Ann Goldie. Spinster of Gosport father William Goldie Gunner RA.

Witnesses John Parton and Sarah Parton.

Lesley

Comment

• Are you able to look up Froyle Hampshire in your records place or do you have just the records for Gosport..

Comment

• Sorry Mary my offer is only for Gosport/Alverstoke as the Parish Records are kept on microfiche at the Local Study Centre. You need someone who goes to Hampshire Records Office I would think.

Lesley

Comment

• Thanks Lesley...

Comment

• Mary.

Have you tried www.knightroots.co.uk They have transcribed some baptism and marriage records for Froyle.

Lesley
                                      Last edited by Punchs mum; 02-10-10, 12:56. Reason: correction to web address!

Comment

• Lesley Yes Tried that... I have found a baptism in Surrey with parents that married in Hampshire and feel it might be him,,but not sure...Just got to check Froyle as that is where he said he was born..
                                        His son said he was born in Lye Worcester but I found his baptism in London,,it was a army family so wander if his parents were the same.
                                        Thanks for your help...

Comment

• Hi Lesley

On the contrary this is just the thing I was looking for!!!!!! Thanks so much!
                                          Mary Ann was the daughter of a William Goldie (Gunner RA)
                                          Was there any further info' like if they signed etc?? Mary had been 'educated in Alverstoke Workhouse after the death of her Father, William. Also at the time of her marriage she was 19 Years old, so were the Partons her guardians???
                                          This bit of information will also be of interest to a descendant of the Goldie's I'm in touch with in Manchester.

Thanks again

Ray

Comment

Working...
                                          X