Look ups offered in Alverstoke/Gosport hants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Julia
    Thanks for the reply. Have sent you an email so hopefully no more Tech Hitches!!
    Ray

Comment

• Margaret

Will check the Parish Records when I am at the Study Centre next.

Lesley

Comment

• thank you no hurry next time you are in the study centre.
        margaret

Comment

• Alverstoke/Gosport Lookups for Margaret and Bertie.

Margaret.

The witnesses at the marriage of John Bridger and Jane Stanbrook were James Hopgood and Ann Hopgood. The marriage was at St.Mary's Alverstoke. John Bridger signed but Jane signed with a X. No mention of parents names on the Parish Record.

Bertie.

Will reply to your requests some time this evening by private e mail. Yours is obviously a bit longer to reply to!!!

Lesley.

Comment

• Another big thank you to you Lesley!

Comment

• Hi Lesley, If you could see if you could find a marriage certificate for me it would be much appreciated. Edward HAMSON (Coastguard who served in Gosport) married Susannah ? from Gosport? Their first child was born in 1833? Children supposed to have been born in Hampshire are called Catherine and Anna born in 1833 & 1834 respectively. If you have the time could you have a look for any record of baptism?
              Thanks & best wishes Sarah

Comment

• Hello Sarah and Welcome to FTF!

Have just had a look on the Family Search Pilot? site and found the following

Edward Hamson married Susanna Mason on 6/2/1832 at Alverstoke.

Catherine Susanna Hamson d/o the above was christened 21/8/1831 at Alverstoke ( and no, that is not my typing error!!!)

Will have a look at the Parish Record for you when I am in town next. Please check back on this thread as I will let you know one way or the other if I have found any more information for you.

Lesley

Comment

• hi lesley thank you for look up of john bridger and jane stanbrook.
                  margaret

Comment

• Hi Lesley

Back again! A bit confused, so I have a few more look ups fore you! These are all IGI dates, so should be easy to find - well lets look on the bright side!
                    All I really require are Witness names, as the IGI gives the rest? -perhaps?

Here they are:

1) Sophia Louisa Beasley Reed to Charles Whitcomb. 09 AUG 1813 Holy Trinity, Gosport. (Sophia may have been only 14 at the time! So a Parent / Guardian would have been Witness I suppose?)

2) Thomas Halliwell to Eleanor Whitcomb. 14 DEC 1808 Alverstoke.

3) Eleanor Halliwell to William James Deaves.14 DEC 1808 Alverstoke. (Yes the same Eleanor Whitcomb, now a Widow.)

and now the really 'confusing' bit!

4) Ann Whitcomb to John White. 3 June 1817 Alverstoke.

You've already found me an Ann Whitcomb to John White. 02 FEB 1807 Alverstoke So who is this one????
                    The really confusing bit is that the Witness in the 1807 marriage was a Thomas Bartlett, and there was a John Bartlett White born in Portsea 22 March 1818, so after the 1817 marriage! And on the 15 April 1827 a William Whitcomb White was born, again in Portsea. All to John White and wife Ann.

Sorry about this 'Brain Twister', I know you'll try your best.

Ray

Comment

• Lesley

Oops!, I see that you did find the 1817 marriage, the one with witness Thomas Bartlett. So it the 1807 one that is the one to look at!

Confused

Ray

Comment

• Hi again Ray!

Like you say, I will do my best for you. I am a bit inundated with requests at the moment so please be patient. I will get round to yours .....eventually!

Brain Twisters and Whitcombs seem to go together!!!!

Will be in touch again.....

Lesley.

Comment

• Ray.

2) Thomas Halliwell to Eleanor Whitcomb. 14 DEC 1808 Alverstoke.

3) Eleanor Halliwell to William James Deaves.14 DEC 1808 Alverstoke. (Yes the same Eleanor Whitcomb, now a Widow

I think you need to lie down!! Yes, you are confused! You have Eleanor marrying Thomas and William on the same day!!! LOL, It's Ok though, I have checked out IGI and got the correct Name of Deares and the date of 7-11-1816.

Lesley

Comment

• Lesley

Sorry! Thats the trouble with Copy & Paste! 7-11-1816 is the date I meant!
                            Just to add to the 'saga' William & Eleanor's Son William John Hiatt Deares (or Deaves), Baptised 07 Nov 1817 Holy Trinity Gosport, ends up getting married to George Whitcomb's Daughter Selina in 1857!!! Selina was Widowed from her first Husband, William Goldie who died in 1853.

Wow

Ray

Comment

• Lookup for Swilley

Hi Sarah,

Edward Hamson Bachelor Mariner married at St. Marys by banns on 6/2/1832
                              to Susanna Mason. Spinster.

Witnesses were Henry Toby(?) and Ann Hamson.

Catherine Susanna Hamson d/o Edward and Susanna Hamson born 25/7/1831. Abode Poor House. Father Mariner baptised 21/8/1831

There were two more baptisms at St. Marys on 24/2/1833. The first childs name was Illegible but definately d/o Edward and Susanna. Abode, I could not read but it wasn't the poor house! father again was a Mariner. The second child was Ann. There were no birth dates given for these two daughters.

Hope this helps with your research. Sorry I can't be precise but records are not very clear.

Lesley.
                              Last edited by Punchs mum; 24-06-10, 08:07.

Comment

• Hi Lesley
                                If you are still offering, I would love to find the marriage of William Emery and Mary.I think they are the parents of William baptised 1772 Alverstoke.This is from the IGI and I can find no siblings for him or marriage for them.

thanks Jan

Comment

• Hi Jan,

I will check out the baptism of William Emery for you when I am in town next. Will have a quick look for a marriage of his parents but without a date it is too time consuming. I will assume that the marriage was about 1770 +/- a few years!! Also, the parish records are not always very easy to read around this era!

It may not be for a couple of weeks as I have plasters in at the moment and have a lot of work to do indoors when they go!!

Lesley

Comment

• Hi Lesley
                                    I was hoping that perhaps there was a Hampshire marriage index on CD or something.I honestly didn't expect you to spend hours searching, so could you possibly look at something else for me instead?
                                    There is a John Emery whose death was registered in Alverstoke in Sept 1865 who might be mine.I would love to know his age and address.
                                    Only if it's not too much trouble.

Thanks
                                    Jan

Comment

• Hi Jan,

If John Emery was buried in the local cemetery, looking up the burial records are no problem! Will do my best for you!

Lesley.

Comment

• Hi Lesley
                                        I have recently found a link to a relative with an unusual name married in Alverstoke 1829 - Anastasia Brideaux Harding to William Kimber. I am interested to find any links further back, especially to the name Brideaux which I think is French. I wondered if you would be able to help at all?
                                        Best wishes
                                        Anna-Louise

Comment

• Hi - Anasatasia Brideray (sic per familysearch) Harding was married as you say, and looks as though chr. as follows: anastasia brideaux harding 11 Dec 1808 St. Mary's, Portsea (C062613), parents George Harding and Anastasia.

Also sister Prudence chr. 05 Aug 1810, St. Mary's.

Mother is poss. Anastasia Brideaux

Comment

Working...
                                          X